Red Wine

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
petl
udonmap.com

Red Wine

Post by petl » July 1, 2022, 10:04 am

Looking for a source of drinkable red wine in 4 - 5L casks (boxes) in or near Udon. Suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Red Wine

Post by stattointhailand » July 1, 2022, 10:19 am

Next time youre in NK it may be worth checking to see if Johnson? (guy from Singapore I think) still has his restaurant opposite NK Station. Many years ago he used to sell boxes of various wines from Lao at about half the price that the Udon shops did. Certainly not suggesting you make a special trip as TIT and things change quickly, but worth a small detour if you are in the area. Perhaps another reader knows this place and if he's still about?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 1, 2022, 10:56 am

It is illegal to make your own delicious red wine, far be it for me to encourage such a flagrent flouting of the law. If however you were in a different country

10 litres of 100% grape juice, no preservatives
1.2 kg sugar
Quality Chinese wine yeast red and white packet from.lazada

In a large container with screw lid from Mr Diy. Sterilize thoroughly with boiling water

Boil half litre of water, add sugar and dissolve all sugar
Add grape juice
Add yeast

Fit lid on loosely

After two weeks, tighten lid.

Two weeks later you can bottle, no racking required.

Drink after 6 weeks, will last at least 6 months. Like a decent cabsav.

60bhat a bottle
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 1, 2022, 11:54 am

Are we not currently awaiting publication in the Royal Gazette that will legalise the production of Beer/Wine/etc. With luck this will lead to some small craft beers being produced at a reasonable price to compete with the available massed produced chemical muck or highly overpriced imported beers

jeebeeg
udonmap.com

Post by jeebeeg » July 1, 2022, 11:58 am

Of course I would not think of anything illegal, but for scientific purposes, where or how would one obtain the grape juice, and what would the conditions of storing the container while processing ?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 1, 2022, 12:32 pm

jeebeeg wrote:
July 1, 2022, 11:58 am
Of course I would not think of anything illegal, but for scientific purposes, where or how would one obtain the grape juice, and what would the conditions of storing the container while processing ?
Lotus etc stock Chaba, but often only a few cartons in shop, other brands OK too but must be preservative free. If I was going to buy the juice I would go to Neesoom (phonetic spelling) on Hwy 210 just west of the big Lotus. They often have 14 carton boxes at around 52 bhat a carton, labeled red grape juice.

Store everything at room temperature, the Udon weather is ideal for the yeast to work, which is a shame as if I wanted to make red wine, Udon would be ideal. Wine takes on a more complex pallet if kept in fridge after bottling for 3 months.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » July 8, 2022, 6:24 am

17 litres of grape juice plus 3 litres of bottled water works fine in the standard 20litre water container. Leave to stand for 6-8 weeks so that the sediment settles, then syphon off from 2 inch from the the bottom of the container. :D

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 8, 2022, 7:26 am

petl wrote:
July 1, 2022, 10:04 am
Looking for a source of drinkable red wine in 4 - 5L casks (boxes) in or near Udon. Suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
The ones available in Makro are not bad, however like all the inexpensive ones they are not exactly wine they are mixed fruit juice products, that doesn’t make them bad or undrinkable but not exactly wine.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 8, 2022, 11:18 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 8, 2022, 7:26 am
petl wrote:
The ones available in Makro are not bad, however like all the inexpensive ones they are not exactly wine they are mixed fruit juice products, that doesn’t make them bad or undrinkable but not exactly wine.
I disagree, I find the fruit wines to be utter crap. Tried half glass then poured the rest down the sink

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 8, 2022, 11:29 am

Whistler wrote:
July 8, 2022, 11:18 am
sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 8, 2022, 7:26 am
petl wrote:
I disagree, I find the fruit wines to be utter crap. Tried half glass then poured the rest down the sink
Some are, some are not.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 8, 2022, 1:17 pm

The best cheap wines I have seen her are the 1.5 litre chillian reds and whites in Villa at UD Town. 499 Bhat a bottle and highly drinkable

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 8, 2022, 8:14 pm

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”