Frozen Fish

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
jdrags1
udonmap.com

Frozen Fish

Post by jdrags1 » March 6, 2021, 8:34 pm

I'm currently in the U.S. but spend a lot of time in Udon (before and hopefully after Covid). I'm looking for recommendations for fish. I'm thinking of British fish and chips. Other than Point Loma Seafoods (San Diego) most of what I find are mushy and if prebreaded you don't taste much fish but mostly breading. Point Loma Seafoods menu says Alaskan Cod. What do you recommend for Fish and Chips in Udon and where can I find it. Seems like I remember reading that one brand in particular was very good. And if I find a good fish - can I buy a good malted vinegar for it?
Thank you!

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Re: Frozen Fish

Post by Wee Jimmy » March 7, 2021, 10:02 am

Can get frozen Cod here.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » March 7, 2021, 8:06 pm

jdrags1 wrote:
March 6, 2021, 8:34 pm
I'm currently in the U.S. but spend a lot of time in Udon (before and hopefully after Covid). I'm looking for recommendations for fish. I'm thinking of British fish and chips. Other than Point Loma Seafoods (San Diego) most of what I find are mushy and if prebreaded you don't taste much fish but mostly breading. Point Loma Seafoods menu says Alaskan Cod. What do you recommend for Fish and Chips in Udon and where can I find it. Seems like I remember reading that one brand in particular was very good. And if I find a good fish - can I buy a good malted vinegar for it?
Thank you!
We have had both cod and pollock here at Makro. My favourite is pollock and breading dome after couple hours in salt. Then add white pepper plus wheat and drop to egg mix and after that used breading flour.

To be honest, from Cheese 2 meat you I get ready made fish fingers and my daughter has difficulties to tell which ones are better.

Related to chips... my daughter wants to do those by herself and those are better than French fries from shop.

jdrags1
udonmap.com

Post by jdrags1 » March 7, 2021, 8:24 pm

Thank you!

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » March 7, 2021, 9:47 pm

Sarsons malt vinegar is readily available in Udon.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 7, 2021, 11:59 pm

Haddock is a cleaner fish than cod and more scarce than hen's teeth but frequently found at Villa.

Some decent cod tails have been had from Pan Foods on 216@2024. The larger cod loins infrequently seen at Villa and Makro can be a bit hit or miss.

Big C branded straight cut chips are frequently on BOGOF special. However, I have found Tesco's premium straight cut to be more crisp.

As mentioned, Sarson's malt vinegar is not unknown but I've seen Heinz's as well.

Mushy peas?

Tartare sauce?

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 8, 2021, 7:58 am

Tartare sauce available at makro. Some small imported jars but expensive and discoloured. They also have one kilo bags in the salad cream section. Not wonderful but 'acceptable' in my opinion.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » March 8, 2021, 8:44 am

rick wrote:
March 8, 2021, 7:58 am
Tartare sauce available at makro. Some small imported jars but expensive and discoloured. They also have one kilo bags in the salad cream section. Not wonderful but 'acceptable' in my opinion.
Also available in Big C at a reasonable price and in cheese to meat you

jdrags1
udonmap.com

Post by jdrags1 » March 9, 2021, 6:28 am

Thanks to everyone who replied - I'll keep your comments in mind on my next trip to Udon.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » March 9, 2021, 6:48 am

Seems Macro dont sell "Cod" or pollock anymore. I check every time I visit there.
I cant eat that Dory.Tastes too "pondy" to me.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » March 9, 2021, 3:39 pm

choi choi wrote:
March 9, 2021, 6:48 am
Seems Macro dont sell "Cod" or pollock anymore. I check every time I visit there.
I cant eat that Dory.Tastes too "pondy" to me.
Go to Villa, they have it
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”