Ride-on (or Riding) Lawn Mower?

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
maaka
udonmap.com

Re: Ride-on (or Riding) Lawn Mower?

Post by maaka » May 28, 2020, 3:38 pm

yup, go the Kubota...good price, good size and barely just run in..

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » May 29, 2020, 9:46 am

WimH wrote:
May 28, 2020, 11:44 am
NongKhaiLee wrote:
May 27, 2020, 11:38 am
...also how many hours it has on it...
Says so in the ad :
...AROUND 3000 HRS...
Talked to the owner, hour meter is broken, but he says he has only put about 100 hours on it since he bought it second hand, he kept a log on it's use and maintenance. I totally believe him, seems a very straight forward, no nonsense kind of fellow to me.

charly66
udonmap.com

Post by charly66 » May 30, 2020, 7:15 pm

Truely, after having studied the market, thailand seems to be a "dumping ground" for low quality lawnmowers.Knowing that original Briggs and Stratton engines (only US made) are 100% copies sold in Thailand.www.lawnmowersthailand.com

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » May 31, 2020, 1:33 am

^ exactly, low quality machines sold at a high price, I cant remember what we paid for ours but it was no where near the price it is worth, its rubbish, its more or less identical to the one in the link (has a B & S engine), they just "brand" them with different names, for 30,000 Baht they are acceptable, when they are asking 90k or thereabouts just not worth it!
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 2a18lQBWDn

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 31, 2020, 1:55 am

Not a ride-on lawn mower but........look at my Post from July 2018 in post516845.html

I'm of the opinion that the Honda mower that I bought in 2017 is the real McCoy, top to bottom. I've compared it to commercial Honda mowers back in the US that cost as much or more than 27,000 Baht. Yes, it's made in China, as are all the Honda weedwackers that cost 8000 Baht but are worth their cost as compared to the cheaper versions that cost a third.
I suspect that ride-on mowers are on a different tax schedule........it's sort of like buying a mid-size car in Thailand, versus a truck in Thailand.......my Pathfinder cost pretty close (if not a bit less) than I'd pay for a Tacoma in Texas....whereas an Accord, for example, would cost much more in Thailand.

eddiev

Post by eddiev » May 31, 2020, 2:03 am

I bought a John Deere x300 brand new in Chomburi nine years ago ,still going strong. I've replaced a spindle ,v belt ,blades,drive belt etc. I change the oil and filters every year and grease it often .At the time I paid 180000 baht [about A$6000 ] ,way too much!! But it's a great mower for over 3 rai . [Now mowing weekly again ]

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 31, 2020, 6:48 am

I dunno...my mate in the Lucky Green Country offered me his almost brand new Husvana Ride on, as he shifted from the city out to the sticks and couldnt hack it..Mates rates was 70,000bt, but was worth 100000 bt up, so a Kubota at 89,000, seems reasonable..its only worth what someone is willing to pay

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 31, 2020, 2:49 pm

I definitely would not buy one of those cheap (expensive here) riding lawn mowers. I made the mistake of buying one, a Murray I think. My house was on 10 acres of which I mowed about 5 acres of it. The piece of crap Murray lasted less than 2 years and something was always broken. I bit the bullet and bought a commercial Yazoo. It was powered with a 2 cylinder Kohler engine. It ran a 52 inch mower and maneuvered with the single rear wheel. Zero turning radius. I think most of the Yazoo parts were available from any local hardware store. Kind of ugly and primitive looking, but always trouble free. It was still going strong 5 years later when I left.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » June 22, 2020, 11:49 am

Rover Rancher 547.42.jpg

O.K., so this is what I bought, and now for the why I bought it:

After a lot of thinking about it, I decided not to buy the second hand Kubota Zero-turn mower. I loved the idea of having it and believed it to be a first rate machine, also the fellow who was selling it seemed top-notch to me, but what it came down to was that the machine weighed 850lbs without an operator, and my lawn has several fairly large patches that become soft during the rainy season when the grass needs mowed the most.

I looked at the MTD mowers at global house, and listened to the advice of the fellow at Buriram as to the engine being to small in HP for a foreigner owner. Also one factor was that the grass recovery system (grass catcher) was not included but had to be purchased seperately

ToolPro Plus did not have any Husqvarna Ride-ons in stock, even though I have seen them there before. They did not have any brochures, only a picture in their suppliers book, and gave me a price of 175,000b without the grass catcher. They said they would have to call and confirm the price before ordering.

HomePro online has the Rover Rancher listed at 136,500b not including the grass catcher, that would be 28,500b extra. And when added to my shopping cart a warning popped up that stated it was not available at any locations.

I ended up stumbling onto an outfit called VB Engines in one of my searches, they are a farm supply company in Bangkok, they have a facebook page selling Rover mowers and had a promotion running on the Rover Rancher for 110,000b. I chatted a few times with them and then got serious. They only had two units left in stock at that price and the price included the grass catcher and free delivery to NongKhai.

I ordered it and they delivered it in three days, set it up and gave me a quick run through on operating it. I have only used it a couple of times, but it seems a well built machine. Here's their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ROVER.Mini382

The machine has a 42" cut with a 547cc Powermore engine. I researched the engine a bit and found it had good reviews, even though it was manufactured in China (where some of the Briggs & Strattons and Hondas are built as well these days). It also has a hydrostatic drive unit made in the U.S., there is a decal on the machine saying that it is "Assembled from U.S. and Global Parts".

I'll let you all know how it does in the future, when my wife asked me if it was a good machine, I told her "ask me in a year or two".

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 22, 2020, 3:26 pm

Should be a good beast for you

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » June 23, 2020, 2:53 pm

Lot of similar components to mine.
If anyone had suggested this when I first got mine I would have thought they were insane - but it would have saved me a lot of time and money!
I would suggest you slowly go through as as many components as possible like wheels etc, remove, grease and reassemble, especially the rear wheels, I had to change the transaxle, wheels were a nightmare to remove. I would also suggest removing all bolts separately and applying blue loctite to prevent them vibrating loose, they are not well assembled, least mine wasn't, hopefully yours is different.
I would also keep the battery on a trickle charger, took me two new batteries to realise this was easier than buying new.
Good luck

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » June 27, 2020, 1:03 pm

I'm going to hi-jack my own thread, but may I ask where you bought the trickle charger Airportwo?

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » June 28, 2020, 9:49 am

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”