Question about this new Bio Diesel

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Question about this new Bio Diesel

Post by newtovillagelife » April 18, 2020, 5:05 pm

My brother in law has a 2006 Isuzu 3.0L Dmax Highlander, can he use this new Bio Diesel.

pal52
udonmap.com

Re: Question about this new Bio Diesel

Post by pal52 » April 18, 2020, 6:31 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
April 18, 2020, 5:05 pm
My brother in law has a 2006 Isuzu 3.0L Dmax Highlander, can he use this new Bio Diesel.
I have a 2012 Isuzu MU7 Primo with a 3 litre turbo charged engine.

I researched the bio diesel usage and it said I should get a minor tune up change done by Isuzu.
I have not done that.
When my tank is about 50% I use Bio Diesel and the next time normal diesel.

I have found I actually get better performance with the Bio Diesel.

Have not checked the mileage as I have not done any long runs but I would suspect I get a lower mileage per litre with Bio Diesel.

My car has only done 70,000 KM.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 18, 2020, 6:57 pm

Didn’t know biodiesel blend was available in UT.
Just thought there was normal diesel available?
How do you recognize it at the pump?

But, if I read correctly it is a blend using mostly palm oil. Didn’t think we need to grow more palm plantations. Not good for the environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 18, 2020, 7:49 pm

Barney wrote:
April 18, 2020, 6:57 pm

But, if I read correctly it is a blend using mostly palm oil. Didn’t think we need to grow more palm plantations. Not good for the environment.

Ptt call it B10 other garages call it B20.

It is a blend of ethanol & Diesel.
Most garages only have 1 or 2 pumps designated as B10 or 20.

It is about 3 baht per litre cheaper than Diesel.

The Govt is going to push it as the main diesel at all garages to use up the excess Palm oil they have.

Keep the price of Palm oil higher.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 18, 2020, 8:37 pm

Barney wrote:

Shell also makes a ?Super Power? diesel.....a few baht dearer than the regular diesel. The gas attendant once asked me if I wanted it, I misunderstood and said yes, then questioned the cost of a fillup. My error. I didn't notice any difference in performance.
https://www.shell.co.th/en_th/motorists ... rices.html

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 18, 2020, 8:56 pm

parrot wrote:
April 18, 2020, 8:37 pm
Barney wrote:

At he PTT stations the normal diesel is on a blue sign on the pump the biodiesel is on grey

Shell also makes a ?Super Power? diesel.....a few baht dearer than the regular diesel. The gas attendant once asked me if I wanted it, I misunderstood and said yes, then questioned the cost of a fillup. My error. I didn't notice any difference in performance.
https://www.shell.co.th/en_th/motorists ... rices.html
Smae here Jack , i said yes to the pretty large chested petrol pump lass not knowing the price difference in normal n bio .. zero enhancement of performance ..zilch , rip off probably same diesel scam.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 18, 2020, 10:30 pm

Apparently biodiesel production is being temporarily reduced as the ethanol is needed for hand sanitiser..

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » April 19, 2020, 1:05 am

I think that you may be confusing Bio diesel with Bio gasoline (petrol). Bio diesel is a combination of standard diesel and plant oils (palm oil, cooking oils etc), whereas Bio gasoline (gasohol) is a combination of Petrol (Gas) and ethanol. Diesel use the designation B10, B20 to show the percentages of the additives, whereas Gasohol uses E10, E20 etc.

Quote from Ministry -Just Auto News website

The Thai Government plans to establish E20 'Gasohol' as the main fuel for passenger vehicles in the second half of 2020, as it looks to reduce its dependence on imported fossil fuels.

The country's energy ministry plans to make the E20 petrol blend (95RON)which has a 20% ethanol content, available in all petrol stations nationwide by the third quarter of this year, replacing the currently available E10 (91 RON).

The ministry said that this will complement the recently launched B20 biodiesel which has a 20% blend of palm oil mainly for buses and large trucks, while the existing B10 blend of 10% palm oil will remain available for smaller vehicles.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 19, 2020, 5:38 am

Bonanza wrote:
April 19, 2020, 1:05 am
I think that you may be confusing Bio diesel with Bio gasoline (petrol). Bio diesel is a combination of standard diesel and plant oils (palm oil, cooking oils etc), whereas Bio gasoline (gasohol) is a combination of Petrol (Gas) and ethanol. Diesel use the designation B10, B20 to show the percentages of the additives, whereas Gasohol uses E10, E20 etc.

Quote from Ministry -Just Auto News website

The Thai Government plans to establish E20 'Gasohol' as the main fuel for passenger vehicles in the second half of 2020, as it looks to reduce its dependence on imported fossil fuels.

The country's energy ministry plans to make the E20 petrol blend (95RON)which has a 20% ethanol content, available in all petrol stations nationwide by the third quarter of this year, replacing the currently available E10 (91 RON).

The ministry said that this will complement the recently launched B20 biodiesel which has a 20% blend of palm oil mainly for buses and large trucks, while the existing B10 blend of 10% palm oil will remain available for smaller vehicles.
Correct . I know my local PTT station that used to sell pure 95 octane petrol at a premium i might add , discontinued selling it a couple of weeks ago .
I only used it in my lawn mower , because the e 20 plays havoc with the rubber seals and diophram in the carbs , so now i have to drain the tank and run the fuel from the carb to extend the mowers lifespan .
As for bio diesel , not a problem .

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » April 19, 2020, 6:16 am

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 19, 2020, 6:53 am

Spoke to the Service manager at Mitsubishi in Udon NOT the one on the Ring Road, and Bio Diesel not appropriate for my engine. The latest Mitsubishis can handle it but the older ones cannot, buggers up the engine ( abbreviated version of what he said ) . So if your thinking of using Bio Diesel, sincerely suggest you consult the Main agents to advise you ..NOT the local mechanic you may use

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 19, 2020, 9:51 am

Khun Paul wrote:
April 19, 2020, 6:53 am
Spoke to the Service manager at Mitsubishi in Udon NOT the one on the Ring Road, and Bio Diesel not appropriate for my engine. The latest Mitsubishis can handle it but the older ones cannot, buggers up the engine ( abbreviated version of what he said ) . So if your thinking of using Bio Diesel, sincerely suggest you consult the Main agents to advise you ..NOT the local mechanic you may use
Personally i would not visit a main agent to ask them the time of day , let alone get anything fixed .
What exactly is it going to bugger up ? was he specific with any details .

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 19, 2020, 10:58 am

I think I got answers.
I’ll now have to open my eyes when filling up with diesel.
I’ll be honest I have never noticed the B10 or B20 bowser.
But, my not seeing the obvious, and day dreaming lifestyle must be attributed to my expertise as a past stop/go man.
Probably won’t see for another month or more, as the tank is full at the moment.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » April 19, 2020, 12:26 pm

Barney wrote:
April 19, 2020, 10:58 am
I think I got answers.
But, my not seeing the obvious, and day dreaming lifestyle must be attributed to my expertise as a past stop/go man.
Probably won’t see for another month or more, as the tank is full at the moment.

You should always open your eyes when getting a fill up. We asked for a fill up with Diesel the other day, to only see the attendant grab the regular gas, I had to stop her and tell it was Diesel....only to hear "so sorry, yes you asked for Diesel"

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » April 19, 2020, 12:46 pm

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 19, 2020, 7:43 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
Barney wrote:
April 19, 2020, 10:58 am
I think I got answers.

You should always open your eyes when getting a fill up. We asked for a fill up with Diesel the other day, to only see the attendant grab the regular gas, I had to stop her and tell it was Diesel....only to hear "so sorry, yes you asked for Diesel"
Thanks Good advice.
We almost always use the same fill station and bowser.
I always have my eyes open though to make sure the meter is in zero.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 20, 2020, 7:29 am

saint wrote:
April 19, 2020, 9:51 am
Khun Paul wrote:
April 19, 2020, 6:53 am
Personally i would not visit a main agent to ask them the time of day , let alone get anything fixed .
What exactly is it going to bugger up ? was he specific with any details .
Well after 15 years and being buggered about by Jiang Mitsubishi ( a mere agent ) I found the Mitsubishi on the KK road cheek by jowel with Toyota. These are sponsored by Mitsubishi Thailand and ALL mechanics are Mitsu trained. So in fact they are cheaper than others and the vast majority of new parts if required do come from Japan and are NOT made in Thailand . So yes Main agent is the way to go.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 20, 2020, 7:55 am

Fair enough if your happy with their service .
My personal experience of that dealer is not the same as yours , but each to his own .
Did they elaborate in any way how Bio diesel would bugger up your truck . Just curious .

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » April 20, 2020, 8:45 am

If the bio diesel is anything like the ethanol in petrol, and from past comments it appears like it is, then the effect is as follows.
Ethanol is an alcohol fuel and as such it requires more volume to produce the same energy when burned.
Result with petrol engines is those with normal aspirated engines which rely on a fixed jet to regulate the fuel flow, will run leaner and hotter.
Result of this can be catastrophic on many engine parts.

I remember a particular instance, not directly related to alcohol fuel but rather lean run, in a light aircraft many years ago.
Owner complained the pilot was using far too much fuel on hs daily runs.
Owner took the aircraft on the next day's run and returned with his opinion of any astonishing saving in fuel by running a leaner mix.
Following day the aircraft was sent for a major engine rebuild due to damage from the previous day's lean run.

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”