Drill Bit Sharpening Service or Jig to do same

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Drill Bit Sharpening Service or Jig to do same

Post by BillaRickaDickay » January 8, 2020, 8:06 am

Looking for some one who can sharpen drill bits, or buy a jig that will enable me to do. Never could master the knack.
Any help greatly appreciated.

He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

TicToc
udonmap.com

Re: Drill Bit Sharpening Service or Jig to do same

Post by TicToc » January 8, 2020, 8:59 am

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » January 8, 2020, 9:54 am

Now why did'nt l think of that, cheap too, maybe Global, Toolpro, some clever people out there, could have saved a forture over the years.
Thank you Mr Clock Watcher
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 8, 2020, 11:23 am

Unless they are quality drill bits that were bought overseas, just buy new ones. Most of the stuff on the racks at the regular outlets are sub-standard Chinese dross in fancy bubble packs anyway. Almost one-time-use like plastic bags IMHO.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 9, 2020, 10:16 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
January 8, 2020, 8:06 am
Looking for some one who can sharpen drill bits, or buy a jig that will enable me to do. Never could master the knack.
There’s a little shop on soy Jintakarm on the right almost as soon as you turn into it from the main road. They sharpen thicknesser blades and saw blades so may well be able to help.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » January 9, 2020, 5:24 pm

Thank you gents, mostly UK purchased, time l sorted them out or got rid of. Those bought over here from Toolpro, Global etc not had any problems, they usually get blunted by my careless use, not down to poor quality, maybe if i was drilling into proper steel lt might be a different story.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » January 10, 2020, 9:21 am

If you find a good sharpening tool plesse let me know.
I have tried a few of these tools with no success, maybe my eyes are not so good now....
The smaller drill bits which l purchase every time I return to the UK are the ones would like to keep.
As Tamada has stated the ones here are mostly ---- but another thing to remember is that they are used at to high a speed with no coolant...

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 10, 2020, 12:26 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
January 9, 2020, 10:16 am
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
January 8, 2020, 8:06 am
There’s a little shop on soy Jintakarm on the right almost as soon as you turn into it from the main road. They sharpen thicknesser blades and saw blades so may well be able to help.
I just talked to the owner of the shop and he told me that although he doesn’t usually sharpen drill bits as it’s an easy job for you to do, he is happy to do them once and teach you how to do them yourself.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 10, 2020, 3:21 pm

1371896C-4E92-4C5F-B865-79F72C9436CA.jpeg

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » January 10, 2020, 4:02 pm

Back in the good ole days drill bit sharpening was a skill and no such thing as a Jig, I recall spending hours practicing the art with just a Bench Grinder and my fingers as part of my apprenticeship training,
Its all down to the angle of address and the rolling of the bit in yer fingers, the larger the bit the easier it is.
As i said before, manual sharpening not one of my strong points but I think I could master one of these Jigs if I can lay my hands on one, Lazada has many listed but need to have a look b4 I buy, thanks again for all info.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 10, 2020, 10:45 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
January 10, 2020, 4:02 pm
Back in the good ole days drill bit sharpening was a skill and no such thing as a Jig, I recall spending hours practicing the art with just a Bench Grinder and my fingers as part of my apprenticeship training,
Its all down to the angle of address and the rolling of the bit in yer fingers, the larger the bit the easier it is.
As i said before, manual sharpening not one of my strong points but I think I could master one of these Jigs if I can lay my hands on one, Lazada has many listed but need to have a look b4 I buy, thanks again for all info.
The one pictured above is in HomePro

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 11, 2020, 5:42 pm

You know being a sort of Do it Yourself type of guy, I did try out a Drill Sharpening Jig in the UK, , great for Drills for Wood and some for Metal but these were never really the same after sharpening , the wrong angle here and a slight mistake there, costly mistakes requiring the purchase of New Drills.
In the end I came to the conclusion that when you buy drills, buy the best you can afford , I still have some 20 odd years old, still able to drill through what they are supposed to , in the end saves money, fingers and zero stress, these days that is also important.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » January 12, 2020, 7:49 am

From my experience, it does'nt matter how much you pay for a drill bit at some stage it will get blunt, industrial, professionals dont use cheap tools, hence the need to resharpen.
As i have said before a competant engineer, tool fitter etc would know how to resharpen a drill bit without a Jig and the bit would cut as if new.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 12, 2020, 9:39 am

a competant engineer, tool fitter etc would know how to resharpen a drill bit without a Jig
Most of the ones I knew would mostly use a jig (unless it was an emergency touch up to finish a job) as they knew that the correct jig, correctly used took off the minimum steel and kept the geometry of the bits.

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”