Where to buy a decent computer desk?

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Where to buy a decent computer desk?

Post by NongKhaiLee » April 13, 2019, 10:33 am

I have given up finding a decent computer desk up here in NongKhai, they all seem to be made out of particle board or press board or whatever you call it. The problem is that after a year or two they start warping and sagging from the high humidity. My niece tells me I need to go to IKEA to get a good one, but I would rather buy more local if possible.
I looked around at Index and all I saw was more of the same. If the desk was any good it did not have the slide out keyboard tray.
My system is an imported work station with two 27" screens so needs a fair size desk. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Lee

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Where to buy a decent computer desk?

Post by Doodoo » April 13, 2019, 11:31 am

As with personal wants I have gone to a local builders given them the dimensions and or photographs and had them build me one as a suggestion

Good Luck

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 13, 2019, 12:11 pm

I have used one of these for about 10 years. Plenty of room, and I use one of those cheap plastic sets of drawers from Big C next to the desk to keep all the bits and pieces in.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/60x15 ... c&search=1

Don't need to buy from Lazada - they are sold everywhere.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 13, 2019, 12:50 pm

Many years ago, I bought a steel desk with sliding drawer. It has two small platforms underneath. I cut one out for my footrest. The other serves as a stand for my UPS. I bought it at the furniture store across from old Lotus.........but only after searching all the more likely places. I paid 3300 Baht for it......circa July 1998. It's as good as new

WimH
udonmap.com

Post by WimH » April 13, 2019, 1:48 pm

I've seen some decent ones in the shop near McDonald's on the ground floor or just below in Central Plaza...
Wim
Vliermaal, Belgium

Gar
udonmap.com

Post by Gar » August 4, 2019, 3:25 pm

This is from a while ago, but if I were replacing my desk I'd probably go to Index as my first place to look. If it's just a matter of the desk being what you want, but not having a keyboard tray, I'd put "under desk keyboard tray Thailand" into google and follow the Lazada, UBuy, and eBay links.

Another possible option, I noticed on my last trip into Udon that there is a 'made by prisoners' shop next to the big prison in Udon. From driving by, there was some nice solid wood furniture in there. Perhaps you could special order a desk made the way you want?

My desk is pressboard that I brought up from Pattaya five years ago. In my case, I found it was arm sweat more than humidity that was causing the front seam of my desk to warp. I put some clear packing tape over the seam, so my sweat can't soak into my desk, and that fixed my problem. I think it will be challenging to find a desk that isn't made from some sort of manufactured wood product without paying to have one custom made for you.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 4, 2019, 6:01 pm

or you could make it yourself.

Was going to do that for my son, but the way he likes to put stickers on everything, I just bought him a cheap one at Global House, think it was around 1200฿
Just checked, no stickers, and still looks like new. =D>

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 5, 2019, 9:16 am

I had one of those particle board desks. The top got so bad that I replaced it with a new metal desk. The old one was sitting in the living room with my wife's computer on it. One day I was looking at it and measured the top. It was 24 by 48 inches. I had a couple of 24 inch brown square floor tiles. They are the thick ones. I put two of them on the top of the desk and a piece of trim on the front. It looks good and will now last forever. It looks good enough that I was going to use it again but it has only one drawer and the metal desk has three.

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Post by Pooclover » August 5, 2019, 10:21 am

Top end of Prajack road near Tungseemoung. Lots of furniture shops. The largest one (pictured) has a large choice.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 6, 2019, 3:02 am

Chinese furniture shop next to bo bey clothes market.they have a big selection of some beautiful desks and I've had a couple out of there but I always put a granite top on them.they are a lacquered type of MDF and I've had them a few years without any problems.stay away from chip wood with a stuck on plastic that will peel at the corners.ive also got a solid wood desk that I had to have a granite top on as it split right down the middle with temperature and humidity.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » December 31, 2019, 9:21 am

O.K., so I fixed my problem by building my own computer desk, just couldn't find what I wanted. But thanks again for all the helpful suggestions. UDMap members are the greatest!
1574754043522.JPEG
Attachments
1574682445446.JPEG

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”