20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
User avatar
vincemunday
udonmap.com
Posts: 3531
Joined: December 11, 2014, 11:36 pm
Location: Udon Thani ex North Stifford and Ramsgate
Contact:

20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by vincemunday » January 26, 2017, 10:26 am

Anyone know where I can source a shipping container? I need one for my bit of land to keep my tools in etc.


The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9561
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by parrot » January 26, 2017, 10:46 am

On the SW portion of the ring road...sames side as the electric company. You'll see a few stacked up alongside the road.

User avatar
vincemunday
udonmap.com
Posts: 3531
Joined: December 11, 2014, 11:36 pm
Location: Udon Thani ex North Stifford and Ramsgate
Contact:

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by vincemunday » January 26, 2017, 11:14 am

Went there this a.m. and they've taken the for sale sign off, perhaps I'll take the missus to ask if they still sell them.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

cjd01
udonmap.com
Posts: 438
Joined: May 19, 2015, 8:53 am

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by cjd01 » January 26, 2017, 11:26 am

Hi Vince
if all else fails
http://www.containerkingthailand.com/
in Bkk but will ship to you

stereolab
udonmap.com
Posts: 280
Joined: June 12, 2014, 11:20 am

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by stereolab » January 26, 2017, 2:38 pm

Yesterday, driving from Nong Song Hong in to Nong Khai, I passed a sign which said "Container Motel". Caught a glimpse of some containers, but unsure if it is a Motel where you reside within a container or not. Or simply a storage area for containers.

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9561
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by parrot » January 26, 2017, 2:56 pm

stereolab wrote:Yesterday, driving from Nong Song Hong in to Nong Khai, I passed a sign which said "Container Motel". Caught a glimpse of some containers, but unsure if it is a Motel where you reside within a container or not. Or simply a storage area for containers.
https://www.facebook.com/Container-Mote ... S_TIMELINE

stereolab
udonmap.com
Posts: 280
Joined: June 12, 2014, 11:20 am

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by stereolab » January 26, 2017, 10:44 pm

Appreciate that. What an interesting concept.

BigRick808
udonmap.com
Posts: 402
Joined: March 30, 2013, 10:51 pm

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by BigRick808 » January 27, 2017, 1:13 am

vincemunday wrote:Anyone know where I can source a shipping container? I need one for my bit of land to keep my tools in etc.
Just to get it out there to those who may be interested: They're very damp inside due to condensation. Even with vents, still damp. Electric fans and desiccants may help. I'd stick with wood or cinder-block. Also, they get hot as Hell.

User avatar
vincemunday
udonmap.com
Posts: 3531
Joined: December 11, 2014, 11:36 pm
Location: Udon Thani ex North Stifford and Ramsgate
Contact:

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by vincemunday » January 27, 2017, 8:18 am

Hi Rick, is this something you've noticed in Thailand? I only need it for tools etc so it's of no great shakes but I used containers a bit when I was in the UK and never noticed the condensation problem there and to be honest it would be a bit stupid to ship stuff around the world in cardboard boxes in a container that suffered from damp. Maybe it's the humidity or something. Thanks for all your replies people, appreciate it.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1193
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by AlexO » January 27, 2017, 9:13 am

Think you might be shocked at the cost. A couple of years ago we were being quoted 5K USD for a used container, and that was before import duties to Laos. The main cost is the frame steelwork and the door system (they are designed to be stacked up 6 or 7 high on ships) I think you would be much cheaper having a local fabricator weld up far lighter steel sections on site to a simple tool store design. Just a thought.

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9561
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by parrot » January 27, 2017, 11:37 am

Yes, shipping containers are expensive......searching for dealers, the lowest price I saw was 40,000 for a 20' container.

FWIW: 18 years ago we had some villagers build us a storage shed.....10'x10', cement floor, 4 poles, cement covered brick walls, cement panel roof, 2 wooden windows and a wooden door, one grounded outlet and a ceiling light. The structure is still standing with no aging problems. It cost us 35,000 back then.....we were generous to the workers.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1193
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by AlexO » January 27, 2017, 12:19 pm

Parrot the 40K price will have been for a 20" unit probably so old and smashed about that it was no longer fit to be called an ISO container. We used them all the time in the construction industry but we got our moneys worth out of them. A year/couple of years on a project, crane them onto a wagon and of to the next project. Maybe a coat of paint and new carpet tiles. But for a static tool shed maybe not so financially clever. Agree a bespoke locally built SHED probably the answer for Vince. Another thing is we always put a shading roof over the containers in SEA otherwise 60 or 70 degrees inside.

BigRick808
udonmap.com
Posts: 402
Joined: March 30, 2013, 10:51 pm

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by BigRick808 » January 28, 2017, 6:53 am

vincemunday wrote:Hi Rick, is this something you've noticed in Thailand? I only need it for tools etc so it's of no great shakes but I used containers a bit when I was in the UK and never noticed the condensation problem there and to be honest it would be a bit stupid to ship stuff around the world in cardboard boxes in a container that suffered from damp. Maybe it's the humidity or something. Thanks for all your replies people, appreciate it.

No. Not in Thailand. I'm sure the humidity has something to do with it. They are very, very strong. So, using them for shipping is wise. The degree of humidity I've experiences isn't enough to saturate cardboard to where it would fall apart, but enough to make metal rust if there very long. You may often notice a thin layer of grease or oil on metal objects or a tight plastic sealant when you purchase them. I think that's why. They may use desiccants. Desiccants can be dried out and reused over and over. Hope it works out well for you.

Jinjok
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: February 8, 2017, 5:12 pm

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by Jinjok » February 8, 2017, 5:17 pm

Hi.

Used shipping containers are fairly cheap still. You can get all the prices and delivery from a good company in Bangkok.

http://www.containerkingthailand.com (Container individual Thailand) they sell

both used containers and conversions.

Price is arond THB 38,000 for a 40ft container (Most companies are trying to sell at 40 - 45k) plus around THB 15,000 delivery from a local lorry company (10 wheel lorry). You need to hire a crane to lift it from the lorry which is around THB 6000 - 8000 per day. They might do a special deal if its only a quick lift.

Hope that helps

User avatar
vincemunday
udonmap.com
Posts: 3531
Joined: December 11, 2014, 11:36 pm
Location: Udon Thani ex North Stifford and Ramsgate
Contact:

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by vincemunday » February 8, 2017, 8:17 pm

Yes it does help, thank you.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

User avatar
Nigglyb
udonmap.com
Posts: 739
Joined: February 13, 2014, 5:00 am
Contact:

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by Nigglyb » February 9, 2017, 3:14 am

Jinjok wrote:Hi.

Used shipping containers are fairly cheap still. You can get all the prices and delivery from a good company in Bangkok.

http://www.containerkingthailand.com (Container individual Thailand) they sell

both used containers and conversions.

Price is arond THB 38,000 for a 40ft container (Most companies are trying to sell at 40 - 45k) plus around THB 15,000 delivery from a local lorry company (10 wheel lorry). You need to hire a crane to lift it from the lorry which is around THB 6000 - 8000 per day. They might do a special deal if its only a quick lift.

Hope that helps
Yes, good info, thanks
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9561
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by parrot » February 9, 2017, 1:44 pm

On the SW Ring Road today, a kilometer or so before the Electric Co. (same side), there's a company selling containers. Two are displayed on the side of the road. No idea on price.

User avatar
vincemunday
udonmap.com
Posts: 3531
Joined: December 11, 2014, 11:36 pm
Location: Udon Thani ex North Stifford and Ramsgate
Contact:

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by vincemunday » February 9, 2017, 4:04 pm

Hi Parrot, yeah I saw those too but I thought it said they were for rent, I don't doubt you for a moment, my knowledge of written Thai is terrible. I will pop along with my better half to see, I actually quite liked the fact they had PIL on them, that will ring a bell with one or two from the 70's.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

User avatar
Nigglyb
udonmap.com
Posts: 739
Joined: February 13, 2014, 5:00 am
Contact:

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by Nigglyb » February 9, 2017, 5:09 pm

vincemunday wrote:Hi Parrot, yeah I saw those too but I thought it said they were for rent, I don't doubt you for a moment, my knowledge of written Thai is terrible. I will pop along with my better half to see, I actually quite liked the fact they had PIL on them, that will ring a bell with one or two from the 70's.
Pacific International Lines????



or Public Image Limited :guitar:
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

panmotor
udonmap.com
Posts: 322
Joined: April 4, 2016, 3:11 pm

Re: 20 or 40 foot shipping containers

Post by panmotor » February 9, 2017, 11:06 pm

Nigglyb wrote:
vincemunday wrote:Hi Parrot, yeah I saw those too but I thought it said they were for rent, I don't doubt you for a moment, my knowledge of written Thai is terrible. I will pop along with my better half to see, I actually quite liked the fact they had PIL on them, that will ring a bell with one or two from the 70's.
Pacific International Lines????



or Public Image Limited :guitar:
Aww Niggly, if I ever decide to bat for the other side, will you marry me. Not only are you a Leeds fan but you have mentioned the brilliant PIL. Saw them at Leeds uni in the early 80s

Post Reply

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”