Leek & potato soup

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
Ant2
udonmap.com

Leek & potato soup

Post by Ant2 » May 25, 2014, 8:39 pm

Like to make some Leek & potato soup but never see any western style Leeks for sale, only the Chinese jobs, taste different. Anybody know of the whereabouts of such an item. Thank you in anticipation of such soup next week.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Leek & potato soup

Post by the-monk » May 25, 2014, 8:52 pm

Hi, I am no expert in LEEK but about 2 weeks ago, i saw some western style leek at an individual PROJECT STORE at Central Plaza. Good luck

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Leek & potato soup

Post by martynsnowman » May 25, 2014, 8:55 pm

also got them in TOPS packs of 3

Ant2
udonmap.com

Leek & potato soup

Post by Ant2 » May 26, 2014, 9:29 am

Thanks for that chaps, must put my glasses on next time I go out to take a Leek

Shado
udonmap.com

Leek & potato soup

Post by Shado » May 26, 2014, 10:20 am

..............never see any western style Leeks for sale, only the Chinese jobs, taste different.
I've regularly seen leeks in most of the major supermarkets as already noted, or at least I thought so. They tasted like leeks to me. What do the Chinese leeks look like? How do they differ from "western" leeks? Are they labeled as leeks and/or กระเทียมใบ (gra thiam bai)? I'm guessing the Chinese leeks must be smaller. Are they more like chives, spring onions or scallions?

Ant2
udonmap.com

Leek & potato soup

Post by Ant2 » May 26, 2014, 4:45 pm

Now Shado has said something. Went to Tops this morning as advised by Martynsnowman, saw & picked up a packet of Leeks or so I thought, read the label & it said Chinese Bunching Onions, asked lady if she Leeks, showed her the CBO & said same same but different, no she said.
Went to Villa market & sure enough they had imported Leeks, 5 compartments away they had CBO, put them side by side, difficult to tell the difference, so read the labels you chaps as I believe Marty/s/m was mislead & you could be. As Shado said whats the difference, nice if they were loose sold, then you could at least smell them & draw some sort of opinion, Leek smell or Onion smell!! Maybe someone out there knows the difference

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Leek & potato soup

Post by martynsnowman » May 26, 2014, 4:59 pm

ant2 , my man , the LEEKS i bought from TOPS were LEEKS not ****** onions or spanish whotnot , i was making
fishamans pie and needed LEEKS not onions , so the only thing i bought for my food was good old english or shall we say WELSH LEEKS and they were wonderful ... if i pick up a packet of potatos and i dont want potatos i want carrots
then why in gods name would i be looking at potatos not CARROTS ....

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Leek & potato soup

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 26, 2014, 5:00 pm

Love the stuff ,,, taken with a fresh bread roll a great meal.... heres how i buy mine , its super tasty nice n easy as i dont have the time to make my own ......dont mind it cold either :shock:

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Leek & potato soup

Post by kubotatim » May 27, 2014, 6:32 am

Dean at Papa Farang does an excellent potatoe and leek soup really big portion 60 baht and can be take away far better than heinz

camps
udonmap.com

Leek & potato soup

Post by camps » May 27, 2014, 10:06 am

kubotatim wrote:Dean at Papa Farang does an excellent potatoe and leek soup really big portion 60 baht and can be take away far better than heinz
Absolutely spot on Kubotatim, by far the best I have tasted, nice and thick with big chunks of potato and chicken. =D>

pomps
udonmap.com

Leek & potato soup

Post by pomps » May 27, 2014, 1:55 pm

Ant2,if you are in the area of nong sim lake,pop into the Bookhouse as they have leek & potato soup on their menu.Maybe they can give you useful advice about the leeks they use in their soup 8)

Ant2
udonmap.com

Leek & potato soup

Post by Ant2 » May 27, 2014, 7:21 pm

Thank you Pomps. A useful & constructive reply, how refreshing for this forum.

pomps
udonmap.com

Leek & potato soup

Post by pomps » May 27, 2014, 8:10 pm

Think you could end up having a hard time for western style leeks,googling even Australia shows they export to Japan where there is big demand,googling local forums here in Thailand comes up blank,googling companies gives some options but sourced from where,not known.Villa market has those Japanese bunching onions which are not exactly what you are looking for.Links below if interested.even a company offering chicken and leek pies maybe more delicious than the soup you want :-k :D

http://www.21food.com/showroom/86708/pr ... -2-0-.html
http://www.21food.com/product/search.js ... 20thailand

Have a pleasant day/night 8)

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”