rear view mirrors

Motorbikes for Sale & Wanted in Udon Thani area
Forum rules
Udon Map Classifieds are free for member-to-member private sales. Commercial companies ARE NOT ALLOWED to post in our classified ads.
Udonmap.com assumes no responsibility for any classified ad or transaction conducted between members.
Members are responsible for their own adverts, please mark the advert when sold or if you'd like an advert removed completely please contact us.
This area is intended solely for members to sell their personal items. Replies must be kept to queries about the item for sale & rent & not about the suitability or otherwise of either the product or the price. Any post that does not obey this simple rule will be deleted. If you have any comments on any of these adverts or products, the general forum is the place to do so.
Whistler
udonmap.com

rear view mirrors

Post by Whistler » June 15, 2021, 8:22 pm

I bought barrobel's Yamaha today and being a hopeless rider (50 years since I had a bike license) road it back in terrifying circumstances to my place 50km's away. Great bike BTW.

The rear view mirrors gave an excellent view of my left and right shoulders, but were utterly useless to observe any of the maniacs behind me who were undoubtedly determined to kill or maim the Farang on the wobbly bike.

Question folks? Anybody know of an aftermarket source that supply rear view mirrors that actually provide a view of the road and lanes behind the driver?

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

bluejets
udonmap.com

Re: rear view mirrors

Post by bluejets » June 17, 2021, 6:41 am

Reversing camera with 4" display on the front bars.
Instead of the usual connection to the reverse lights for power, connect to normal on with ignition.(12v)
Have bought 2 complete kits now for as little as $40 each from Ebay.
Have approx 170 degrees field of view day(colour) night(black and white)
Imagine others like Amazon or Aliexpress whatever will have the same.
If you go this way, might be a good idea to house in a plastic see through case as they are not waterproof.
Bottom open to stop condensation naturally.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 17, 2021, 8:32 am

Adjust the fitted mirrors so they view past your forearm/elbow then just slightly move your arm when checking. You’re sitting on the bike over the mirrors so if all you can see is your shoulder it would be pointing in the air if you could see past anyway.

Or, if you still can’t see & don’t want to go full on technology with cameras, bar end mirrors. The only drawback is you’re a bit wider so getting to the front at traffic lights can be tight.

Don’t forget all bike mirrors are small so your field of vision is always going to be limited. There’s nothing that beats glancing over your shoulders & looking
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » June 17, 2021, 3:08 pm

Niggly wrote:
June 17, 2021, 8:32 am
There’s nothing that beats glancing over your shoulders & looking
Yeah, right....just as some donkey in front does something untoward.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 17, 2021, 3:30 pm

bluejets wrote:
June 17, 2021, 3:08 pm
Niggly wrote:
June 17, 2021, 8:32 am
There’s nothing that beats glancing over your shoulders & looking
Yeah, right....just as some donkey in front does something untoward.
Basic riding skills, you should keep your wits about you, plan ahead & expect the unexpected or do you suggest not even attempting to look behind in case you miss something from the tunnel vision in front then?

Even cameras have blind spots

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 17, 2021, 6:36 pm

These are "Bar end style bike mirrors" that push/fit in the end of you handle bar. Available on line via Shopee or E bay, much the same as Niggly's

About USD 10 12 a Pair

Thailand Shopee.PNG

pipoz4444
Thailand Shopee 2.PNG
Attachments
Shopee Bar End Style Mirrors.PNG
Shopee Bar End Style Mirrors.PNG (196.15 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 17, 2021, 7:02 pm

Just to clear up any misunderstandings, I haven’t got bar end mirrors. The picture is just a download from Lazada (245 Baht + shipping) as an example of what they are in answer to the OPs question

I use the standard mirrors on my bike aimed under the elbow & look over my shoulder as appropriate 👍 🏍

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 18, 2021, 12:50 pm

Thanks all, I like bluejets solution best. The handle bar extensions make the bike a lot wider, good for rear view, but drawbacks.

I was always aware of keeping a 360 degree view in other countries I have driven in, driving in Thailand is more demanding. Here that awareness takes it up a notch given some of the exotic practices. Like driving the wrong way down a breakdown lane, like being undertaken by a bike (or two, or three or four) while executing a left hand turn, like backing into a spot only to have some clown on a bike with sidecar swoop into the spot you are in the processes of reversing into, or simply some mumma drifting across three lanes of traffic at 25k per week in heavy traffic doing 90kph.

Now I have a bike I can do all of these things! Apart from the camera, there is no looking back (figuratively).
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Return to “Motorbikes For Sale/Wanted”