Used Book Shop @ Fuzzy Ken's Restaurant & Guest House

General Udon Thani topics only!
polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » May 17, 2008, 10:12 am

Having to pay for books that were donated to Harry's does seem a bit unfair and if I had donated as many books as some of you then it would gripe my ass also. From the pictures it appears that FK has invested some money in book shelves and, of course, handed over hard cash to Harry for the thousand or so books. Personally, I didn't think the selection and condition of the books at Harry's were that great but I will stop by FK's to check it out. Hopefully, he has sources other than Harry's to purchase used books.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 17, 2008, 11:13 am

From the pictures it appears that FK has invested some money in book shelves and, of course, handed over hard cash to Harry
obviously some time, money, space, has been invested for this section of where ever it is, in restauarant or now. it is a business, and from the responses, a nice niche he has found, as interest and the need to used book store seems to be top of list of little things wanted.

are you going to eat and drink while getting that book, maybe, maybe not, irrelevent. it seems the only negative here is the sale of books from harry to ken, obviously nothing he could control or even know if donated or harry bought them. for ken, thay are work, and taking up space that could be used for somthing else, more tables for dining or any number of things.

ken's used book is his affair, business and should not be looked upon negatively because of harry's decision to sell donated books, if that is the case.

in harry's defense, again irrelevant, he put some time and work into it himself, maybe not much, but sometimes another mans junk/treasure are hard to get rid of, or easy to sell. nobody knows how it traspired, but obviously someone made him an offer for something he no longer wanted. can't blame him for selling. we don't know if he tried to give them away or not. i personally don't like the idea of selling free stuff, but i don't know the circumstances. money is hard to turn down, especially when time and little effort was put forth.

but, i tip my hat to ken, for filling that niche many have complained/asked about, books books books. so enjoy them, but give the guy a break. and while there, check out his menu, couple items are pretty good and interesting. i get his TA11 chicken sandwich as a take away sometimes, when the others 2 are interested in the esan shht i can't even stand to smell. 8)

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » May 17, 2008, 12:11 pm

Can't resist adding my comments.

First, I agree that Harry's books might be worth the effort of visiting his bar, if they could be had free by exchanging or promising to exchange. But after brousing through them myself, only a dozen or two caught my eye, mostly well-known authors. The best way to improve that collection would have been to throw out the worst half. A public library would have disposed of most of them. Would any of you taken the lot, if Harry offered them to you free? Would you have paid 5000 baht for those 1000 books? Maybe FK swapped something for them.

However Harry came by those books, it appears that he owned them. If you were swapping books or giving him books so that you can later take books free, that is not donating. If you "donated" decent books, not trash, without taking books that would be a gift to Harry. You make merit, Harry gets the books.

You should hope that FK has some plan to improve on his library of books. Possibly some that 35 baht fee would drive an improvement program.

BTW Fuzzy has a good pool table that is free to his customers. He probably consided the pros and cons of offering free use of the books purchased or swapped from Harry.

I've been to the used book store in Pattaya above TOPS on Second Road. Not Bad. The average paperback book there cost about 140 baht. There was a box of a couple dozen ragged books for 40 baht. There's no camparison to the selection there and the ex-Harry swap books.

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » May 17, 2008, 10:35 pm

Hang 'em high! It's time for vigilante justice! We ride tonight! You can't go
upsettin the townsfolk without there being a reckonin! This is the devil's
work at play I tell ya! Aaahhh sorry, off the meds today, got worked up. :razz:

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » May 18, 2008, 12:44 am

I have no problem with FK charging as I know he has spent a considerable amount of money on purchasing the collection.
A business deal has been done.
Good luck to you Ken.
My problem is with the seller.
Enough said.
Free the Doug 1

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 18, 2008, 5:57 am

cali4995 wrote:Hang 'em high! It's time for vigilante justice! We ride tonight! You can't go
upsettin the townsfolk without there being a reckonin! This is the devil's
work at play I tell ya! Aaahhh sorry, off the meds today, got worked up. :razz:
:lol: Is this LA in disguise?? :lol: :lol:

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » May 18, 2008, 9:23 am

Roy wrote:I have no problem with FK charging as I know he has spent a considerable amount of money on purchasing the collection.
A business deal has been done.
Good luck to you Ken.
My problem is with the seller.
Enough said.
Well said Roy! =D> =D> =D>

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 18, 2008, 11:30 am

Is this LA in disguise??
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: not me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: somebody mention meds :lol: :lol: :lol:

i've been having sign in and/or posting problems if signed in, so excuse the late responses. if anyone needs to contact me for immediate info and don't have my phone number, use laphanphon at yahoo mail, put udon thani forum in topic, so i don't delete, as not my priority mail server and usually just scan and delete everything in it. :shock: 8)

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » May 18, 2008, 2:15 pm

When I go to the internet cafe, often I cannot sign-in either. It seems to have
something to do with the "cookie" settings which I gather, are adjusted by the
webmaster as they pertain to visitors to the site. Most privacy settings on public
computers are fixed so while I'm pretty much technically illiterate about webpage
construction, it does seem to affect everyone in various ways depending on your
set-up and privacy settings on your computer and if you can even adjust it? 8-[

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 18, 2008, 2:38 pm

this is from home comp, desktop/laptop, this week problems. can only sign in thru home page, then if opening new page/tab, may get signed out of that page, but not home, or both. if posting is available, may hit submit, then sign in comes up, but doesn't accept. very weird.

i have my cookie and anti virus settings on as low as possible, and udonmap allowed all access in anti virus, cookies, anything except 3rd party that transmitt. so haven't got a clue. will see if same problem from irish clock thru their server next visit. now thru ais, tho shouldn't make a difference. oh well, not that important, will work it out, or by itself. yea i know, not a computer thread.

on topic, can't wait till fuzzy catagorizes books :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » June 12, 2008, 11:14 am

Can I go into FK and order a good cuppa tea and bicky and get to read a few pages of a book of my choice for FREE ?..

Have a nice day
Master Builder

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 12, 2008, 3:28 pm

AussieBoy wrote:Can I go into FK and order a good cuppa tea and bicky and get to read a few pages of a book of my choice for FREE ?..

Have a nice day

If you went every other day Aussie B, you might just finish the book in around 5 months or so....... :lol:

Freedom Fried
udonmap.com

Post by Freedom Fried » July 1, 2008, 5:16 pm

Fuzzy, old buddy, ole pal

do you have copies of 'The Story of O' by Pauline Reage? Both parts I and II would be great!

For those unfamiliar with the aforementioned Hemingway-approved tomes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_of_O

Oh, and a copy of an individual James II bible, with answers.

[Sorry, the URL for the latter has been banned by the Vatican. And Amazon.]

FF :lol:

Fawn
udonmap.com

Re: Used Book Shop @ Fuzzy Ken's Restaurant & Guest House

Post by Fawn » August 3, 2009, 2:11 am

I hope to use Fuzzy Ken's book store rather than bring some books over the next time I'm in town. Can anyone tell me what the selection's like at the moment? :-k

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » August 3, 2009, 6:44 am

Apparently theres a new falang book shop opening in town. Anyone have any updates on this? I know, theres another thread about the shop........ Will look for it and post a link here.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 3, 2009, 9:19 am

FK's has a good selection,some are getting quite old.I have personally read over 100 of his books,mostly fictional paperbacks!Picked up 24 a couple of eeks ago!

My neighbor,a very avid reader, just got back from Pattaya,where she shopped for books and is very excited because the Pattaya outlet informed her that they were indeed opening a store in Udon soon!

I don't remember if she mentioned a certain date or not,but you will find plenty of books available when you get here! :D

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » September 1, 2009, 4:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to announce that our bookshop located at my restaurant on Prajak Road (opposite the large car park for Central Plaza, formerly Robinsons complex) is now well established with a holding of some 2000 used books. We are hopeful that this will swell to something in the region of 4500 come October, all being well with our contact in the States.

Prices start at 10 Baht for books which have seen better days with the majority of paperbacks selling for about 50 to 120 Baht.

We still operate our very popular paperback exchange scheme. Bring one paperback in and take one out and pay only 35 Baht. We accept most books in exchange provided that they are in reasonable condition and in English.

Our stock includes some books in foreign languages. We also have a small number of nonfiction publications including various biographies and travel related books etc.

We purchase books and maps of every kind, please ask for details.
Everyone welcome, please call in

Thanks, Fuzzyken

Visit us at: http://www.fuzzyken.com

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » September 1, 2009, 9:20 pm

kind of you to check-in mr fuzzy and give us the latest info. it would appear the used-book
pricing wars are fixing to commence with a new participant in the opposing corner. i must
say, you've shown admirable restraint with your posting. not easily drawn into the fray. :lol:

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » September 2, 2009, 3:13 am

Well, hopefully there is room for 2 book shops. maybe a bit of market segmentation would be good rather than a head to head battle for the literati of Udon - I assume Stan is not the only reader! I hope to use both places.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » September 2, 2009, 2:31 pm

Hi everyone

I have minimal information as to a likely opponent or protagonist if you wish but a little competition helps to concentrate the old grey matter and sharpen up our act so let’s see what happens.

I’m not so sure about a battle but I’ll dispatch a search party for the literati of Udon !, now which way did he go ?

Take care one and all
Fuzzyken

http://www.fuzzyken.com

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”