Mosquitoes

General Udon Thani topics only!
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Mosquitoes

Post by BobHelm » February 26, 2008, 12:24 pm

I'm lucky that they don't normally seem very attracted to me, but, a couple of weeks ago they seemed to acquire a taste for my feet early in the morning when I was on the pc.
I don't use repellent because I just haven't found one that worked. On my first visit to Thailand I popped into Boots before I left the UK & purchased the strongest (& so most expensive :D ) repellent that they sell - Jungle strength it was called. I was only going to Samui so I thought that would be fine. Well it was - the mosquitoes loved it. You could almost see a black cloud of them following me when i wore it :D .
I'm not very keen on chucking chemicals into the air to kill them as I have to breathe it in as well. I figure if it is killing insects then it ain't doing me a whole lot of good either.
So 2 weeks ago I went into Macro & purchased a fluorescent light bug killer. It cost, from memory, 800 baht and is the best 800 baht I have spent in a long time. Admittedly sometimes the noise it gives off when it zaps them is loud & even causes the cat to jump. But over the last 2 weeks it has killed 100s I am totally amazed how many it has done in.
I don't think that it is deliberately luring them into the house as it is out of sight of the doors & windows but it sure does work. Oh yeah they seem to have gone off the taste of my feet too... :D

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Mosquitoes

Post by 747man » February 26, 2008, 12:29 pm

BobHelm wrote:I'm lucky that they don't normally seem very attracted to me, but, a couple of weeks ago they seemed to acquire a taste for my feet early in the morning when I was on the pc.
I don't use repellent because I just haven't found one that worked. On my first visit to Thailand I popped into Boots before I left the UK & purchased the strongest (& so most expensive :D ) repellent that they sell - Jungle strength it was called. I was only going to Samui so I thought that would be fine. Well it was - the mosquitoes loved it. You could almost see a black cloud of them following me when i wore it :D .
I'm not very keen on chucking chemicals into the air to kill them as I have to breathe it in as well. I figure if it is killing insects then it ain't doing me a whole lot of good either.
So 2 weeks ago I went into Macro & purchased a fluorescent light bug killer. It cost, from memory, 800 baht and is the best 800 baht I have spent in a long time. Admittedly sometimes the noise it gives off when it zaps them is loud & even causes the cat to jump. But over the last 2 weeks it has killed 100s I am totally amazed how many it has done in.
I don't think that it is deliberately luring them into the house as it is out of sight of the doors & windows but it sure does work. Oh yeah they seem to have gone off the taste of my feet too... :D
Bob, " Killed 100s ?? Where Did you have your feet ?? In a Bowl of stagnant water ?? :roll: :roll:

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » February 26, 2008, 12:39 pm

Bob I also get bitten on my feet there is some thing about our feet that attracts them maybe it easy way to get our blood I also bought spray when I got here it did not seem to work so well for me either glad to hear your bug killer works well I will have to get me one

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 26, 2008, 12:43 pm

Ha,ha no 747. The strange thing is that the zapper is across the room from me as I type so it certainly attracts them, but I was just surprised how many were/are obviously in the house. &, so I guess what a small percentage were after my feet in the first place.. :D

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 26, 2008, 12:59 pm

Bob Helm wrote:So 2 weeks ago I went into Macro & purchased a fluorescent light bug killer. It cost, from memory, 800 baht and is the best 800 baht I have spent in a long time. Admittedly sometimes the noise it gives off when it zaps them is loud & even causes the cat to jump. But over the last 2 weeks it has killed 100s I am totally amazed how many it has done in.
Is that what you call an Issan Bar-B-Q? :lol:

I have fly screens on the doors and windows, so don't normally get troubled inside the house.

I am not usually troubled too much by mossies, but if I go out in the evening I sometimes spray my feet and ankles (which is where they tend to get me too) with "Sketolene" which you can get for about 65 baht from most pharmacies stock over here. That seems to work ok. :D

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 26, 2008, 5:30 pm

Koi-ya sip har..(15) spelling ?? , cheap as chips.
does a great job, could i find some near the complex one night in Udon..nahhh had to shell out for a highly over priced 'Boots Own brand' roll on piece of crap, with a ball that hardly rolled.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » March 16, 2008, 6:01 pm

It may be too late for this years crop...
I just received this in my inbox:

"Don’t know if this really works...or just a sales push for Listerine...!
Mosquitoes
I can't wait to try this in the summer!
I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared.
The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And WALA! That worked as well.
It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby.
During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....Pass it on.
------------------
OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS:
I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89.
It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes.
So, try this, please. It will last a couple of Days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house."

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » March 17, 2008, 2:47 pm

BobHelm, please give us an update in a few weeks. If the mosquitoes still aren't biting, that will be proof enough for me!

The ankles are warm because of amount of blood just under the surface, and teh mosquitoes home in on the heat.

I have realized some benefit from repellents containing DEET. There is a brand with a Thai name that I can't read and comes in a white bottle with red, blue and black priting on it.. I most recently picked it up at Big C for 37 baht for a small (about 40 ml) bottle. It lasts almost forever because I usually don't think to put it on until I've been bitten, and then a pair of socks pretty much solves the problem without the mess or smell.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » March 17, 2008, 5:11 pm

Rick, they can and will get you through socks! :mad:

I find I get bitten around the ankles less now than when I used to wear shoes and socks for work, though that maybe because the smell of the socks used to attract them!! :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JJ, I did like the idea of spraying with Listerine, stops the build up of plaque & tartar on the lawn, wood flooring and decking!! :razz: :lol:

....And you don't even have to close your mouth (or wear a mask) when spraying!! :lol: :lol:

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » March 17, 2008, 7:40 pm

rickfarang wrote:I have realized some benefit from repellents containing DEET. There is a brand with a Thai name that I can't read and comes in a white bottle with red, blue and black priting on it.. I most recently picked it up at Big C for 37 baht for a small (about 40 ml) bottle. It lasts almost forever because I usually don't think to put it on until I've been bitten, and then a pair of socks pretty much solves the problem without the mess or smell.
Maybe called Soffell. 13% DEET. I swear by it if I could just remember to apply it when going out. I usually wear long pants going out at night to avoid the bites... The ba5tards always go for my arms and hands.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 17, 2008, 9:50 pm

arjay wrote:Rick, they can and will get you through socks! :mad:

I find I get bitten around the ankles less now than when I used to wear shoes and socks for work, though that maybe because the smell of the socks used to attract them!! :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JJ, I did like the idea of spraying with Listerine, stops the build up of plaque & tartar on the lawn, wood flooring and decking!! :razz: :lol:

....And you don't even have to close your mouth (or wear a mask) when spraying!! :lol: :lol:
No doubt you also get bitten a lot around that cleavage RJ :D

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » March 18, 2008, 11:32 am

An Aussie pal gave me some stuff called Bushman, 80% Deet!
It sure kept the mozzies away but had the side affect of no other living thing coming within 100m of you to :?
Free the Doug 1

treehugger
udonmap.com

Post by treehugger » March 18, 2008, 4:36 pm

I understand that human perspiration/odour also affects mosquitoes, which is why the effectiveness of individual repellents varies from person to person. I have tried many different repellents, and the one I find most effective is

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 18, 2008, 5:27 pm

treehugger wrote:I understand that human perspiration/odour also affects mosquitoes, which is why the effectiveness of individual repellents varies from person to person. I have tried many different repellents, and the one I find most effective is “OFF”, sold in orange coloured aerosols throughout Udon and elsewhere.
yes it gives a clear message to the little rascals, like F-OFF.!

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 19, 2008, 8:12 am

according to the N G O they can pick up your foot odour from 30 metres, and are 5 times more active when there is a full moon !!! :cry:

woody
udonmap.com

Post by woody » March 19, 2008, 7:46 pm

I was led to believe they can smell carbon dioxide

coming out with your breath.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”