Air pollution in Udon

General Udon Thani topics only!
rick
udonmap.com

Air pollution in Udon

Post by rick » February 26, 2024, 10:12 pm

It is that time of year when air polllution is at it's worst. Turned on the air filter in the bedroom for only the 3rd time in 2 years last week.

Just a few thoughts.

Hard to say how much comes from far away, but it should be pretty uniform over the whole area, but that is not usually the case. It is hard to judge sometimes, because around most of Udon line of sight is pretty limited so not able to judge how far before objects are no longer visible. The one place you can tell, is on parts of the ring road, where looking into the distance everything gradually becomes a shade of yellowish Grey. Off the ring road on minor rural roads, visibility is much better.

So where does it come from?

1, International, Inter Province - This is the widespread 'background', which we as individuals have no control over, But over the last few years. not that high I think. Sugar cane, rice stubble? Haven't seen signs of a burn locally for a couple of years, that has changed.

2. Vehicle emissions - definitely an issue on the ring road, not noticeable a few 100 metres away.
3. roadside cleanups - small fires mainly at the edges of smaller roads, sometimes significant.
4, Smokey barbeques! - especially at commuter times, some of those pig on a stick vendors generate as much smoke as ten diesel trucks.
5. Garden fires - like the roadside cleanups, small fires, not as common now as ten years ago.
6. Sweeping - In the early morning, quite a lot of houseproud Thais sweep their garden or the road outside the house of dust and leaves - just adds to all those traffic emissions.

I think early mornings (before 9 a.m.) is the worst, peaks again early evening. Now, 10 p.m, AQi is 43, pretty good. Typically, Moderate and lower in rainy season. Generally has improved over the last 15 years, but offset largely by higher vehicle emissions.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Re: Air pollution in Udon

Post by BillaRickaDickay » February 27, 2024, 5:51 am

Well not much change out here in Kut Chap, burning stuff on a daily basis, Sugar Cane and Rice Stubble burning still practiced on a large scale despite many warnings from our Puyaban.
Our neighbour lights up daily with plenty of smoke to keep the mozzies away from his Live Stock, fortunately they are housed some 500mtrs away and usually down wind.
It seems that our locals love a fire, I ask the Missus, "why do they keep lighting fires" the answer comes back "Cleaning"
Lots of busy Dirt Roads out here, Clouds of fine dust thrown into the air, together with the heavy use of Pesticides, Herbicides and Fertilizer, not a healthy place to live.
Aparently Laws are in force but no one obeys and very little enforcement. I can only assume that its the same all over Rural Issan.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 2, 2024, 1:32 pm

In our village considerably better than 12 or more years ago. A lot less garden fires now, so rarely see one except when they are clearing up at the temple. less litter, and more roads now concrete/tarmac which cuts the dust, and not so many chickens running around. Rarely see rice stubble fires these days, although in part a lot of fields are not worked anymore. Probably being close to the city Thais are less interested in farm work and also some actually take some pride in their local environment, gardens in front of the house or pot plants; rarely seen when i first came.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 4, 2024, 1:10 pm

went through a few days of cool weather with winds blowing from the east and a bit of rain in different parts of the province.. That pushed AQI's down to decent levels. Today though.. wind out of the west and AQI's in the Red again..
https://aqicn.org/map/udon-thani/ Air cleaners on and limit outside activity.. bad lungs ya know...
Dave

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 6, 2024, 6:53 am

There i s an Agri something industrial place not to far from my home that pn some morning appears to pollute the air`. Now what they are making have no idea, the fact that the pollution (smells, acrid taste when breathing) is allowed to continue is somewhat baffling. Local enquires by myself have told me that the ~authorities are aware and know but action, well you know how it is , waiting for paint to dry is more exciting.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 6, 2024, 10:08 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 6, 2024, 6:53 am
There i s an Agri something industrial place not to far from my home that pn some morning appears to pollute the air`. Now what they are making have no idea, the fact that the pollution (smells, acrid taste when breathing) is allowed to continue is somewhat baffling. Local enquires by myself have told me that the ~authorities are aware and know but action, well you know how it is , waiting for paint to dry is more exciting.
Anything "Agri" is most likely Agricultural Fertilizer and or pest control products in either liquid or pellet form ..upon googling the production of which are quite dangerous and high in pollutants thus should be strictly monitored... no doubt a brown envelope to the right department covers most issues

As previously mentioned the heat is ramping up early and with the prevailing wind changing direction the air quality in large parts of the country has worsened including Udon and the NE ..

I might add its less visible here but driving into Bkk from MW 9 the dense haze n smog is all to clear to see almost like smoke rather than dust particles.

dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 6, 2024, 11:23 am

AQI is now 166 on the east side. It was 158 when I got up today. The sensor is at the Self Service gas station on Rte 22 just down from Talad Thai Siri. https://aqicn.org/map/udon-thani/

Fires in Southeast Asia from the NASA fire map(or zoom and pan for the rest of the world) here: https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ma ... ,17.6,7.3z
Dave

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”