Interesting History Discussion

General Udon Thani topics only!
Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Interesting History Discussion

Post by Potamoi » October 29, 2023, 12:04 am

Today's watch/listen is Graham Hancock. His take on missing ancient civilisations is refreshing.

The whole Göbekli Tepe discovery is enough to throw most archeologists into a tizzy of defending their incorrect theories (often displayed as facts) instead of questioning things with a more open mind. He has not many friends in that discipline.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5jVsWO ... a2b8bb4509

Enjoy the discussion if you are so inclined. As always, Joe's curiosity and proper questions make for an even more compelling episode and discussion of our past human capabilities.

I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Interesting History Discussion

Post by Khun Paul » October 29, 2023, 7:05 am

One has to keep an open mind about or history and previous civilisations as in truth we now know far less than we thought we did .
As new discoveries are unearthed across the globe, it takes a good archaeologist to admit what was written before was an error but only because the new information had not even been found,

I welcome the new previously unknown , which does raise more questions than answers, and I also smile at the attempts by some to justify their previously lauded ideas ground into the dust because they refuse to accept the new evidence.
It is plain to me that greater forces and intelligence once dismissed by many did actually exist, Leading possibly to our ( the human race )current situations.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » October 29, 2023, 1:01 pm

Yes, the younger dryas impact is of particular interest to me.

The regenerating terra prater soil found in the Amazon suggesting farming 8-9000 years ago (~29:00 into the podcast) is mind boggling. The notion that humans planted Brazil nut trees and others in the rainforest for farming food is both eye opening and highly believable.

Hopefully more drone deployed lidar exploration will give us more understanding of what is under the rain forest and deserts of the world and discover some lost civilizations which may give us insight on how the pyramids, Göbekli Tepe and other mysteries came to be.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 29, 2023, 1:06 pm

Pot, you certainly seem to enjoy fringe dwellers ideas. Many of Hancock's treasured opinions have be so thoroughly debunked that I give him a credibility rating of 0 out of 10. This is a guy that states Antarctic ice sheet is only 6 or 7 thousands years old. Core drilling utterly disproves that belief, but he has never admitted he is wrong. A strange man, not without intelligence, but still a few sandwiches short of a picnic
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 29, 2023, 2:09 pm

Whistler wrote:
October 29, 2023, 1:06 pm
Pot, you certainly seem to enjoy fringe dwellers ideas. Many of Hancock's treasured opinions have be so thoroughly debunked that I give him a credibility rating of 0 out of 10. This is a guy that states Antarctic ice sheet is only 6 or 7 thousands years old. Core drilling utterly disproves that belief, but he has never admitted he is wrong. A strange man, not without intelligence, but still a few sandwiches short of a picnic
Whizza please clarify your last sentence ... are you referring to the bonkers historian guy in Pottys link .. or KP ??

Thanks DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 29, 2023, 2:19 pm

😁
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » October 29, 2023, 7:29 pm

Whistler wrote:
October 29, 2023, 1:06 pm
Oh somehow I knew you would have a mainstream hammered version of the actual conversation. Let me ask Wizzy, did you actually listen to any of it or just dunk on the name?

Are you saying you don't believe that younger dryas happened? Are you saying that Göbekli Tepe does not exist or terra prater is not in existence? or just whatever I say or recommend to listen to is not your liking? Please do tell... or not.
Benjamin Franklin

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 29, 2023, 9:49 pm

The Younger Dryas exists. Gobekli Tepe exists. Terra Prater exists. Hancock is a journalist, not an archaeologist, he takes a few archaeological facts, embellishes them with his own interpretations, and makes up a good story. He has not done his own actual research.

Netflix did a series called Ancient Apocalypse narrated by Hancock, espousing his ideas. Very slick and watchable, but while believable at first, that belief eroded the more i watched.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 30, 2023, 2:47 am

To add to Rick's observation, these climatic occurances and the early Turkish settlements have nothing to support Hancock's dipsey claim that an earlier civilisation spread ancient technoligies to nomadic man.

Use a bit of common sense. If an older civilisation shared secrets, how? Didthey hop on planes and zip around all over the place, how did they communicate, did they converse in multiple languages? How did they teach, portable blackboards, universal textbooks or maybe Stone age Ipads how did they even find small groups to teach them advanced technologies? Too silly for words..

Hancock is a crank, plain and simple..

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 30, 2023, 6:59 am

In days of yore further back than most of us can remember, I remember ...just ... that the news etc and other pieces of information was spread by STORYTELLERS , those whose apparent phenomenal memories could recall the information and pass it on, sort of mobile newspaper or old age news-reader.

Now only a suggestion they may not have hadf smart p[hones or exciting macjines that could traverse hindreds of miles buit they certaqinly had people who travelled and moved around that is fact based on population expanding across the copntinents.

Many such stories of noe are now immersed in what we call Fairy Tales of old says which we remember about happenings .

Do not discount our ancient ancestors the ability to communicate and pass on informations necessary to perpetuate human kind.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 30, 2023, 8:36 pm

Yeah, Kk, please provide one single example of a storyteller spreading techniolical voice over multiple geographic parts of the world and in multipul languages? Marco agodo, did a bit if this 900 years ago over several decades. But spreading techolgies the same process is plane nuts

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 31, 2023, 6:15 am

Did anyone else find it a bit difficult, owing to the strange spelling, what either of these last two posts struggled to say? Who, for instance, is Marco agodo? And what does 'But spreading techolgies the same process is plane nuts' actually mean, Whistler?
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 31, 2023, 7:12 am

Whistler wrote:
October 30, 2023, 8:36 pm
Yeah, Kk, please provide one single example of a storyteller spreading techniolical voice over multiple geographic parts of the world and in multipul languages? Marco agodo, did a bit if this 900 years ago over several decades. But spreading techolgies the same process is plane nuts
Yau are of course entitled to rubbish anything anyone says, but in that case show me proof they DID NOT pass on anything other than current NEWS> Invention of the wheel or how to make a cutting tool or build accommodation .
I cannot prove nor disprove, just an educated huess, something you are already rubbishing which tells me have a guess is also NOT allowed . Or that you yourself have proof that anything I suggested did not happen, if show show me the proof !!!

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » October 31, 2023, 7:38 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
October 31, 2023, 6:15 am
Did anyone else find it a bit difficult, owing to the strange spelling, what either of these last two posts struggled to say? Who, for instance, is Marco agodo? And what does 'But spreading techolgies the same process is plane nuts' actually mean, Whistler?
Beer Goggles, Dyslexia? It's catching, No?
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 31, 2023, 8:01 am

The natives of Australia have done this with stories and song for generations bith different regions and languages
As they had no written language

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 31, 2023, 8:47 am

noosard wrote:
October 31, 2023, 8:01 am
The natives of Australia have done this with stories and song for generations bith different regions and languages
As they had no written language
And, according to recent statements in federal court, they used these songlines to navigate their way, both spiritually and terrestrially, through life. Who would have thought they had their own musical GPS way before satellites were invented?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 31, 2023, 9:00 am

silly me, not checking Marco Polo being changed by spell checker

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 31, 2023, 9:11 am

Whistler wrote:
quote]

This is an even worse blunder.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 31, 2023, 12:24 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
October 31, 2023, 9:11 am
Whistler wrote:
quote]

This is an even worse blunder.
You simply cannot control yourself can you?

Lets lay your silly comment to rest, shall we. No blunders apart from a spelling error.

The origins of this post is from a Pseudo archiologist who claims amongst many things that an ancient race taught what were previously hunter gatherers advanced technologies several thousand years ago. Brings a whole lot of questions to the forefront.

1. If they were so clever, what happened to them. The unsophisticated hunter gatherers prospered and survived, but these chaps died off? Why? There is no evidence of their existance.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/11/ancie ... ained.html

2. How did they find the nomads? Several thousand years ago, there were no libraries, little in the way of maps how did they even know where to look for people to teach?

https://www.google.com/search?q=locatio ... e&ie=UTF-8

3. Even if they did find them, how did they converse and teach? Sophisticated technologies require sophisticated teaching, written texts etc, in what language? No evidence to support this idea.

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=5 ... =634&dpr=1

4. Simple things could be taught. I cite Marco Polo who lived in China for many years, learnt the language and reputedly brought back to Europe how to make gun powder and Pasta. Simple things, trading goods, not complex technologies.

https://sites.google.com/a/umn.edu/hist ... -fall-2012

5. Hancock, the pseudo archiologist has a plethora of theories, including one that says Antarctica was ice free until a few thousand years ago. There has been a lot of REAL scientific work done on that continent, including core drilling through several thousand metres of ice, that totally blows Hanckocks theory out of the water.

http://www.badarchaeology.com/lost-civi ... ntarctica/

My comments are not blunders at all, Hancock has a lot of theories, but none stand up to scrutiny. I observe you are very quick to refute everthing I post on this forum, but do your homework. I would suggest you curb your eagerness to criticise until you ensure you get your facts right. Otherwise you look foolish.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 31, 2023, 4:04 pm

Whistler wrote:
But spreading techolgies the same process is plane nuts
So, what does your statement actually mean? It is incoherent as written.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”