Racism? Greedy? Stupid?

General Udon Thani topics only!
BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Racism? Greedy? Stupid?

Post by BillaRickaDickay » May 9, 2023, 4:34 pm

Just started using a local hardware shop near Kut Chap a couple of weeks ago as prices were good, cheaper than using the big outlets in Udon for many items.
A week ago I bought some nuts and bolts which were charged by the kilo and weighed in front of me and very cheap.
Today I buy 60 nuts and bolts of the same ilk, served by the same woman as last week, today's price 7bht each, Scales totally ignored. Weighed price would probably be about 100bht.
I say Stupid as she has just lost a potentially good customer, the other two options? Who knows.

He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Re: Racism? Greedy? Stupid?

Post by semperfiguy » May 9, 2023, 5:48 pm

BRD, I would say it's a little bit of each one,but slanted toward just sheer stupidity. I have a similar story which is the story of stories.

A few weeks ago I stopped off at a small neighborhood hardware store to buy some nylon rope to replace the frayed pull ropes on my outside shades. I needed one 16 and one 18 meter length. I asked the price per meter and was given a price of 100 baht PER KILO. For a moment I thought that I was losing my mind. I've never heard of such a thing and thought that he was surely confused. I asked him to go to the manager and come back with a price per meter which turned out to be 10 baht. The two lengths were going to cost me 160 and 180 baht, so after the clerk cut them, he decided to weight them, and together they turned out to be less than one kilo. He chuckled under this breath and said I owed him 340 baht. I told him I would pay the kilo price and he said "you've already asked me the price per meter, so that it the cost to you". My wife had to argue with him to get him to accept the kilo price of only 100 Baht. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 9, 2023, 7:09 pm

In Australia, that's called having 2 bob each way..... aka heads I win, tails you lose.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 9, 2023, 7:18 pm

Which shop was it, the one near the lights or the other one at the back of the market. I have bought heaps of stuff from both, in my case never had a problem
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » May 9, 2023, 7:21 pm

^^^ So i assume next time you want rope you are going to accept to pay the price per kilo without demanding a price per meter and then refusing to pay it?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 9, 2023, 7:27 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
May 9, 2023, 5:48 pm
BRD, I would say it's a little bit of each one,but slanted toward just sheer stupidity. I have a similar story which is the story of stories.

A few weeks ago I stopped off at a small neighborhood hardware store to buy some nylon rope to replace the frayed pull ropes on my outside shades. I needed one 16 and one 18 meter length. I asked the price per meter and was given a price of 100 baht PER KILO. For a moment I thought that I was losing my mind. I've never heard of such a thing and thought that he was surely confused. I asked him to go to the manager and come back with a price per meter which turned out to be 10 baht. The two lengths were going to cost me 160 and 180 baht, so after the clerk cut them, he decided to weight them, and together they turned out to be less than one kilo. He chuckled under this breath and said I owed him 340 baht. I told him I would pay the kilo price and he said "you've already asked me the price per meter, so that it the cost to you". My wife had to argue with him to get him to accept the kilo price of only 100 Baht. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief!
Why would you "shake your head in disbelief"?

If you wanted to arrange a different payment method then thats up to you ........ if it then backfires and costs you more, so be it .......... Just like someone agreeing a price at an auction and then trying to haggle with the seller to get it cheaper [-X

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » May 9, 2023, 8:12 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 9, 2023, 7:18 pm
Which shop was it, the one near the lights or the other one at the back of the market. I have bought heaps of stuff from both, in my case never had a problem
Whistles, I've been shafted a few times in and around Kut Chap, I always ask the price now before I buy, no good sending the Missus in as they know "She has a Falang" this particular purchase caught me on the hop as I had dealt with the shop before and no problem.
I don't point fingers over here but this shop recently started to trade near me and is located in More Qua, my home village, which would have been handy for the future.
Always good to see a price tag on stuff. Coming from Udon direction turn right at the traffic lights in Kut Chap, about half a kilo, large hardware shop on the left does the price tag thing.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 9, 2023, 8:23 pm

To respond to the OP - there are a few alternative explanations beyond the 3 you have suggested.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » May 9, 2023, 9:13 pm

Well Sir, you're probably correct but after me querying the price and pointing to the scales after she requested 420bht and her shrug of the shoulders in response, led me to believe that more than likely I was being the victim of Falang pricing.
Maybe it was Blob week and she was having a moment.
Maybe the Shop was having a run on nuts and bolts and shrewd thinking by the management decided to price up nuts and bolts individually.
Thinking about it why were the 60 nuts and bolts all the same price, I had several different sizes amongst my purchase.
Maybe it was an age thing, I'm getting on a bit.
Maybe she was a misandrist.
Well I'm open to more suggestions as I don't like casting aspersions.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 9, 2023, 9:58 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
May 9, 2023, 9:13 pm
Well Sir, you're probably correct but after me querying the price and pointing to the scales after she requested 420bht and her shrug of the shoulders in response, led me to believe that more than likely I was being the victim of Falang pricing.
Maybe the Shop was having a run on nuts and bolts and shrewd thinking by the management decided to price up nuts and bolts individually.
Thinking about it why were the 60 nuts and bolts all the same price, I had several different sizes amongst my purchase.
No doubt she was operating "in the moment" as are most Thais due to their Buddhist upbringing, and she probably never gave a second thought to the future consequences of her actions. I don't think "losing a customer" means a great deal to them being as how they rely on Buddha to bring in all their customers. To them, a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush", so "screw them while you have the opportunity" is their motto, especially as it pertains to farang customers. It happens to me more often than not, and I could write a book on the number of times I have been taken advantage of in the past 13 years.
Last edited by semperfiguy on May 10, 2023, 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » May 10, 2023, 6:56 am

Post deleted
Last edited by BillaRickaDickay on May 10, 2023, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 10, 2023, 7:03 am

I have over the years found it a lot easier to just walk out and never return to buy anything . Eventually through word of mouth their trade does decline ,bu you by then have found better alternatives

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » May 10, 2023, 7:09 am

semperfiguy wrote:
May 9, 2023, 9:58 pm
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
May 9, 2023, 9:13 pm
No doubt she was operating "in the moment" as are most Thais due to their Buddhist upbringing, and she probably never gave a second thought to the future consequences of her actions. I don't think "losing a customer" means a great deal to them being as how they rely on Buddha to bring in all their customers. To them, a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush", so screw them while you have the chance!
Yeh, live for the day, I've often wondered why they don't think that Mr/Mrs Buddha will not be happy with their actions. I have used the religion thing when I see my Missus/Family doing stuff I don't like, Caging Birds, Catching Monitor Lizards for sale etc has stopped, was it the threat of consequences from the Lord above, or was it, "Look Out, the money tree has spoken" ?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 10, 2023, 9:51 am

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 10, 2023, 11:20 am

A special sort of virtue signalling.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 11, 2023, 10:10 am

screws, nuts, washers, bolts, fasteners? Ruam Not, a small store just east of the railroad tracks has everything. They never sold it to me by weight but by piece and always just a few baht.. They have near everything imaginable..
located here, across from the Udon Football pitch. https://www.google.com/maps/@17.3955723 ... 384!8i8192
Dave

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”