General Udon Thani topics only!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Royal mail uk

Post by Whistler » May 27, 2023, 12:32 pm

tamada wrote:
May 27, 2023, 10:40 am
Screenshot_20230527-103809.png
Hmm, the link was OK when I tried it, sorry about that. Not hard to find the cost of things looking at ausposts website

https://auspost.com.au/shop/sending/env ... eGross-asc

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 27, 2023, 12:36 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 27, 2023, 12:32 pm
tamada wrote:
May 27, 2023, 10:40 am
Screenshot_20230527-103809.png
Hmm, the link was OK when I tried it, sorry about that. Not hard to find the cost of things looking at ausposts website

https://auspost.com.au/shop/sending/env ... eGross-asc
Yeah, I know. I checked. But you know me [insert wink emoticon here].

My claim to exorbitant pricing was based on buying a jiffy at the Post Office and shipping a USB dongle from Perth to Brisbane back in 2018. The higher price probably included their guaranteed delivery which did take longer than a couple of days.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 27, 2023, 12:55 pm

I had an enjoyable project a while ago to design a national freight system for Scotts Transport in Mt Gambier. It gave me some insights that makes me admire the fact that it only takes a few days to transport stuff across Australia. Further than London to Istanbul.

Coopers Plains near Brisbane to Subiaco in Perth.

1. Cooper Plains to Brisbane sorting facility.
2. Your order consolidated with others, then if by air, scheduled to a Perth flight.
3. Perth mail centre for delivery to local post office.
4. Local post office sorts into mail runs by postie.
5. Delivered to final address.

That is air freight, ground freight many more steps. Apart from above, interim steps. Probably shipped to Sydney by road overnight, then consolidated for 4000km road trip to Perth. Air delivery of 2 days pretty damned good, surface delivery 5 days, impressive.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 27, 2023, 2:26 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 27, 2023, 12:55 pm
I had an enjoyable project a while ago to design a national freight system for Scotts Transport in Mt Gambier. It gave me some insights that makes me admire the fact that it only takes a few days to transport stuff across Australia. Further than London to Istanbul.

Coopers Plains near Brisbane to Subiaco in Perth.

1. Cooper Plains to Brisbane sorting facility.
2. Your order consolidated with others, then if by air, scheduled to a Perth flight.
3. Perth mail centre for delivery to local post office.
4. Local post office sorts into mail runs by postie.
5. Delivered to final address.

That is air freight, ground freight many more steps. Apart from above, interim steps. Probably shipped to Sydney by road overnight, then consolidated for 4000km road trip to Perth. Air delivery of 2 days pretty damned good, surface delivery 5 days, impressive.
No arguments with that logic. Back in 2018, I had a large but light package that took 'a week to ten days' from QLD to WA so assume they were using road transport. More recently, a much smaller but still lightweight package was 'seven working days' from Paramatta to Perth. It's safe to assume that aircraft weren't involved either as in both instances, using air-freight would be very expensive.

I guess having a unique topography where most of the population live and highways run around the edges, there are no economical 'as the crow flies' options in Australia. The carriers certainly charge like raging bulls for most domestic flights so parcels and freight won't get any breaks. On my last couple of recent jobs, the clients paid for charter flights whereas before Covid, it was all done on Qantas or Virgin.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 19, 2023, 11:29 am

My June mail drop from the UK. Posted 10 a.m. Tuesday 13th, delivered 10 a.m. Monday 19th = 7 days.

£12.20
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » June 27, 2023, 4:08 pm

Just received my mail from the UK. Posted recorded delivery signed for on the 20th May. Arrived yesterday 26th June. Almost 5 weeks.
Previously l normally got my mail from the UK within about 10 days.
This time my son took the mail to the post office where previously he arranged for the mail to be collected from his house. Next it will be collected from his home and it might make a difference.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 27, 2023, 4:19 pm

Got e mail yesterday informing me that my life certificate (posted 12 Apr) had now arrived and my pension payment would now be resumed after previously blocking it

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 27, 2023, 6:03 pm

Wee Jimmy wrote:
June 27, 2023, 4:08 pm
Just received my mail from the UK. Posted recorded delivery signed for on the 20th May. Arrived yesterday 26th June. Almost 5 weeks.
Previously l normally got my mail from the UK within about 10 days.
This time my son took the mail to the post office where previously he arranged for the mail to be collected from his house. Next it will be collected from his home and it might make a difference.
I use their click & collect service booked online. They come with the pre-printed labels, all at no extra charge. Usually leaves the UK within 48-hours from collection. Once it clears postal Customs at Laksi, it's delivered to Udon within 48-hours.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » July 2, 2023, 11:23 am

Received a letter from Bank 28days .
It should have been debit card.
But they explained The embargo on them posting it.
This is The third attempt .first two sent from friends house tracked they both disappeared Heathrow.
The Bank is saying try this again.and to give them a safe address UK to post The card FFS
On another note DWP (this is The first One I know of)
Sent a certificate of live doc tracked and signed for info to Thailand. Hopefully this Will apply to All pensioner's here in Future

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 2, 2023, 11:31 am

Sent a certificate of live doc tracked and signed for info to Thailand. Hopefully this Will apply to All pensioner's here in Future....." What Do YOU Mean ?? " I've had 3 Life Certificates up to Now sent to me in Thailand, ALL Filled in & Signed by an Appropriate Person & Returned to Wolverhampton Posted at MY Cost Just to get MY Pension......Thank You DWP,( It's about time they started Weeding out the Bloody FRAUDSTERS Here,I Know of a Couple that are claiming ALL Sorts of benefits that they are NOT Entitled to....IMO !!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 2, 2023, 12:10 pm

My last three "click and collect" UK Post Office deliveries booked online over the past three months from Accrington to Udon Thani contained 4 new credit/debit cards, a new EE SIM card and my UK driver's license. They took between 7 and 9 days from collection to delivery and trackable all the way, usually departing UK within 48-hours. All received intact and about 12 quid each.

It's difficult to get mail from banks and government entities in a timely manner if you don't have someone at a UK address to handle it. Banks and government entities don't pay for Air Mail so letters to Thailand either take ages or disappear. However, if the weak link is between the local post office where your friend posts the mail and the mail exiting the UK, maybe try the online method? Seems bulletproof so far and I've been using it for a few years now.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » July 2, 2023, 5:23 pm

747man wrote:
July 2, 2023, 11:31 am
Sent a certificate of live doc tracked and signed for info to Thailand. Hopefully this Will apply to All pensioner's here in Future....." What Do YOU Mean ?? " I've had 3 Life Certificates up to Now sent to me in Thailand, ALL Filled in & Signed by an Appropriate Person & Returned to Wolverhampton Posted at MY Cost Just to get MY Pension......Thank You DWP,( It's about time they started Weeding out the Bloody FRAUDSTERS Here,I Know of a Couple that are claiming ALL Sorts of benefits that they are NOT Entitled to....IMO !!!
There appears to be a problem with DWP life certs getting here since mid January this Year
I got mine late February it Took 6weeks to get here
Since then many didn't receive there's and didn't find out until their pension was stopped.
That's what I mean hence "on another note"

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » July 2, 2023, 5:26 pm

tamada wrote:
July 2, 2023, 12:10 pm
My last three "click and collect" UK Post Office deliveries booked online over the past three months from Accrington to Udon Thani contained 4 new credit/debit cards, a new EE SIM card and my UK driver's license. They took between 7 and 9 days from collection to delivery and trackable all the way, usually departing UK within 48-hours. All received intact and about 12 quid each.

It's difficult to get mail from banks and government entities in a timely manner if you don't have someone at a UK address to handle it. Banks and government entities don't pay for Air Mail so letters to Thailand either take ages or disappear. However, if the weak link is between the local post office where your friend posts the mail and the mail exiting the UK, maybe try the online method? Seems bulletproof so far and I've been using it for a few years now.
Cheers Tam I'll get daughter to look into That.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 2, 2023, 5:53 pm

Hoopoe wrote:
July 2, 2023, 5:26 pm
Cheers Tam I'll get daughter to look into That.
The only thing I ordered for my mate to use is a pack of plastic, sealable shipping envelopes, about 8 quid on Amazon for a pack of a dozen. Probably can get them at Argos or WH Smiths and the like.

I book and pay the collection online, including the shipping label which they bring (no extra charge) and tell my mate to stick my mail in one of the plastic shippers. When they come to collect, they ask my mate to confirm my name and destination, then they stick the correct label on it, say cheerio and turns up here the following week.

They take a credit card or PayPal for the online booking payment.

Good luck.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » July 3, 2023, 1:57 am

That's the way my son normally sends my mail but the last time he took the package to the Post Office, hence the 5-week wait.
He will know next time..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 4, 2023, 10:45 am

Here's the link. You can book and pay online and only need to make sure that someone is at home on collection day. Or, if they are computer savvy, they can do it all for you.

https://send.royalmail.com/
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”