Best Sim Card For A Wingle

General Udon Thani topics only!
can123
udonmap.com

Best Sim Card For A Wingle

Post by can123 » October 30, 2022, 5:44 pm

Internet is sketchy in hotels in Thailand. I have bought a Huawei Wingle/Dongle so that I can have a broadband connection "on the move". What would be the best SIM card for me to use with this device in Isaan, please ? I am not too concerned about the price but want a big data allowance.

This is a website which shows the device - http://consumer.huawei.com/en/routers/e8372/

Although an excellent broadband connection is available in the home it would be nice to think that we could use a laptop computer when sitting in a car when travelling.

The wingle would be powered by a power bank so that we would have "portable broadband".

Thanks.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Best Sim Card For A Wingle

Post by jackspratt » October 30, 2022, 7:12 pm

I am curious, 123 - why do you need your laptop to be online while travelling in a car?

For me, connecting my phone to google maps/Waze/etc, plus the streaming music of my choice, is more than enough.

In your case, is it a business imperative?

can123
udonmap.com

Post by can123 » October 30, 2022, 7:32 pm

When I use the Internet I prefer to use a computer rather than a phone or tablet. I just like the idea of being parked up at a viewpoint and being able to look/book hotels , get news, emails, etc. No business. Some broadband in hotels is hopeless so I want my own.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 30, 2022, 7:37 pm

OK. Perfectly understandable.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » October 30, 2022, 9:55 pm

I too hate using a phone as a PC when one is available. One option might be to turn your phone's hotspot on to and share the existing internet you likely already have from it to your laptop.

This might save you from having yet another device internet bill. My AIS monthly plan subscription is plenty for my phone and laptop usage. In fact, its way more than I can generally use in a month and was thinking of downgrading.

If my hotels are too slow I simply tether my laptop PC to my phone data stream via a hotspot. No need for a dongle or extra device to charge too. Just a thought. Or did I miss something?
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

can123
udonmap.com

Post by can123 » October 30, 2022, 10:32 pm

I don't mind paying the extra subscription. I already have a brand new wingle and power bank. Tethering a phone works but it usually does not allow for fast speeds. We are heavy users of the Internet and I want lots of data. My wife is happy with her tablet but I can't stand them. I like to use a computer and mouse. I have a small Lenovo computer which is probably on my lap for at least six hours every day. Mainly surfing the Internet. For example, if I watch an old black and white film I check to see if any actors are alive and read their biographies. I do all the usual stuff with Internet banking and so on but read an enormous amount.

I want guaranteed broadband wherever I go.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 31, 2022, 6:12 am

In the past, I had a data SIM in a dongle in the glove box of the truck for always on connectivity, especially for family on road trips. Was high-tech at the time.

However, hot-spotting is now perfectly adequate with the smartphone being the one-stop internet connection device. I can stream internet radio via Bluetooth to the car audio while the rest surf the net watch YouTube and chat away. The limitations start to kick in with gaming which is the domain of my oldest lad so we agree that he can't do too much of that so he uses offline options.

Less hardware, easier physical connectivity and more than adequate bandwidth. The data SIM you get for a USB dongle is the same data SIM that goes in the smartphone.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

can123
udonmap.com

Post by can123 » October 31, 2022, 2:22 pm

Thank you. I already have the hardware and do not need to use my phone. What Sim card is currently the best one for portable internet regardless of the hardware used, please?

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » October 31, 2022, 3:47 pm

Also following this topic with interest.

Currently we are paying for broadband to our home even though we only use it mx 2-3 months a year. Main reason is for our security system so we can monitor the home while we are away.

Wondering if a SIM based solution may be more cost effective. We currently pay 650 baht (approx.) for True home broadband.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 31, 2022, 5:41 pm

can123 wrote:
October 31, 2022, 2:22 pm
Thank you. I already have the hardware and do not need to use my phone. What Sim card is currently the best one for portable internet regardless of the hardware used, please?
From another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37224#p660990

Best advice is go to Central and check with AIS, DTAC and True to see what they offer in the way of 1-year data SIMS. The market is quite dynamic and offers come and go.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 31, 2022, 6:11 pm

I am not sure why you chose a wingle. A dongle with WIFI? I have not needed a dongle for yonks. Why not simply get a sim and hotspot your phone?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

can123
udonmap.com

Post by can123 » October 31, 2022, 6:51 pm

I don't want to use my phone as a hotspot. The wingle needs a sim card and that sim card then gives access to broadband. The wingle is plugged into a power supply, not a computer as a dongle would be, and my power supply is an A ADDTOP Power Bank 26800mAh. When I have the wingle with a sim card and the power bank combined I have mobile internet. I can use it anywhere where the sim card works. I could leave the combined unit with somebody for them to use the Internet without having them using my phone. In an hotel I can stick the wingle into a wall socket with an appropriate adapter and leave it there.

I already have a wingle and a power bank. All I want to know is the best sim card for heavy data use using these two things.

Thanks for the replies to date.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 31, 2022, 6:57 pm

Good explanation can, my experience is hotel WiFi has always been fine. I do not stream movies but do plenty of zoom and google meet sessions never had a problem. Maybe as a streamer or gamer you need more.

As for best sim provider it s not homogeneous in Thailand, some areas well covered by ISP A, but poor in another area. I do not think there is one ideal provider.

Having said that I use AIS and am happy almost everywhere
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

can123
udonmap.com

Post by can123 » October 31, 2022, 7:04 pm

Thank you. There are some videos on YouTube. The best is in German but shows how to use such a setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkjf1pIodnY&t=337s

The other videos have unintelligible Indians or loud music. :)

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”