Dealing with Accidents, Thailand Style

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Dealing with Accidents, Thailand Style

Post by parrot » August 3, 2022, 4:48 pm

Fifteen year old boy, no license, no helmet, driving fast, hits sedan that turned left without using a turn signal. Police investigate but find both parties at fault. Father of boy complains about medical expenses and vehicle damages. From what I read, the police leave it to the affected parties to figure things out. Sometimes things are done differently here!

https://udontoday.co/030865-2/?fbclid=I ... 6uov0aB6Dw

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Dealing with Accidents, Thailand Style

Post by jackspratt » August 3, 2022, 5:03 pm

To me, the car driver is probably 80% at fault - no indicator, and turning across oncoming traffic.

But ..... TiT....and useless BiB. :?

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 3, 2022, 5:30 pm

IMHO the boy was going too fast and it's clearly obvious the car turned into his path, the cars dash cam shows that as well.
BUT BUT BUT The boy hit the car behind the centre pillar. Stupid as it may seem that is the demarkation between fault limits under Thai law. Basically the boy rear ended the car.
I agree with the police = let the parties and their insurance sort it out
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 3, 2022, 5:45 pm

The boy had no Drivers License
Subject ended.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 3, 2022, 5:55 pm

I had a similar experience some years ago, this time the rider had nothing and although the ,Xenophobic TRhai Capt wanted to throw the book at me, as the Rider had ZERO documentation including NO Road Taxc, the CVaptains Boss agreed with me it was purely the Riders fault as he should not have been there.

My insurance refused to pay a penny and threatened the Rider with Prison if he did not pay them. My car repaired at no cost or Insurance premium rise`.

Note if Motorcycle taxed it will have Poribor therefore it is insured as is your damage.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 3, 2022, 6:02 pm

Doodoo wrote:
August 3, 2022, 5:45 pm
Subject ended.
It's a thousand year culture:-
You forget where you're living!!!! Learn to accept it and try to assimilate.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 3, 2022, 6:26 pm

No need to tell me, tell the Father and the Son

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 3, 2022, 7:01 pm

Hopefully it won't happen but all I can say is good luck with your 1st -- next altercation with a juvenile and his bike.
Me = been there --- done that on more than one occasion.
Blame who you you like = suck it up and hand it over to your 1st class insurance.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 3, 2022, 7:20 pm

Doodoo wrote:
August 3, 2022, 5:45 pm
Subject ended.
How does the lack of a license extinguish the culpability of the car driver, who, and I repeat, "no indicator, and turning across oncoming traffic"?

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 3, 2022, 9:01 pm

In courses I have taken with various organizations the one MAIN thing you are taught is "What if " What if that car turns all of a sudden into my path? It is called Defensive Driving. Now whether they teach that here I dont know but going through the process of getting a License in the first place teaches an individual some skills. In this case the young gentleman I presume had NO SKILLS
Speeding, No helmet, no license, no insurance and goodness knows what else was lacking

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 3, 2022, 9:14 pm

Did these organisations also teach you about indicating when you were going to turn, and that you must give way to other traffic when turning?

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 3, 2022, 9:42 pm

You cannot come to conclusion about this accident as ALL factors are not available.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 3, 2022, 10:10 pm

I can't believe we are are having this debate.

In Thailand, the larger conveyance means a person with more money while the smaller conveyance means a person of lesser circumstance.

The cultural mores of krieng-jai dictates that the richer person 'takes care' of the poorer person regardless of who is to blame. Even if the poorer person is illegally operating their conveyance, they cannot be held financially liable for anything that they would be legally responsible for if it had happened in your home country. We're not in Kansas any more.

The advent of a comprehensive vehicle insurance industry in Thailand with mandatory minimums hasn't really changed these basics much beyond the cops becoming even more mercurial if indeed they even attend. People will be compensated eventually. It's just that the victims or their families always want loads of cash right now.

BD has it pretty much nailed down and let your insurance company do the talking. Even if you are blameless, you may wish to deliver a gift basket of Brands Essence of Chicken to any hospitalized victim. It allegedly makes THEM feel better and it only costs you about 800 baht.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » August 4, 2022, 10:43 am

Had a case recently with my nephew borrowing my ~20-year-old Chevy Optra, parking legally. Later that night a drunk, unlicensed boy slammed into the back with a borrowed motorcycle. Police were summoned. Boy taken to hospital; motorcycle taken to police impound yard.

My Optra sustained 10,000 worth of damage and a sidewall puncture in the right rear tyre. Nephew came back home in the wee hours so next morning I take him back to the scene of the crime and show him how to change a tyre. Spare was low pressure so stopped for air on the way to Tyre Plus. Tyre Plus replaced the Michelin for free stating we have a two-year replacement warranty as we bought 4 not long ago for that car. That was a nice surprise. The car was drivable albeit the right rear tail/brake lights were obliterated along with the other damage.

This car only has liability insurance so after consulting with a friend for a repair shop I ended up at this place (just past the little Lotus Fresh).

The owner spoke a little English and gave me a price for the recent damage as well as fixing 20 years’ worth of other scratches, dents, airport fallen tree damage etc. as this car has spent much of its life at Udon airport.

My wife spoke to police on the phone a few times, on the 6th day of repairing he was amazed that I already took the car for repairs and asked for the location of the shop fixing the car. An hour or so later the garage guy LINE'd me that my car is done and that I can pick it up. Again, to my surprise, the mum of the drunk motorcyclist and the boy himself were waiting for me at the shop to tell me how sorry they are and had already paid the 10,000 baht bike damage to the garage guy. Evidently, my wife spoke directly to the boy's mum, asked about the condition of the boy first which took the mum aback a bit as my wife never talked about money until the mum asked the cost and where the shop was.

I was expecting to pay for everything myself and that the family would plead poverty but I must admit I was pleasantly surprised that they took accountability and showed remorse. A week or so later my wife met the mum, dad and son at the police station where she did not press charges and encouraged the police not to take the matter further as it would most certainly screw the boy for life from getting any type of government job or possibly be a mark against him in the private sector as well.

The shop did a great job on the car for a reasonable price and time so I had them do some scratch fixing and paint touch ups on two more 8 and 10 year old vehicles in the next week while the wife was away and I had more cars at home than I could drive.

I guess the takeaways here are:
(1) Not all situations are the same or predictable
(2) A positive attitude may encourage others to act accordingly
(3) I can recommend the shop in the map
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 4, 2022, 11:56 am

Thanks for posting that info, Potamoi. It reinforces my initial thoughts on posting the link to that accident: If the driver of the car had been an expat/tourist, most foreigners would have taken umbrage at the police response. It could very well be that the two drivers came to some sort of agreement after the fact. We'll never know.
And the info on the scratch eraser (repair shop) is handy as well. Thanks again.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » August 4, 2022, 1:50 pm

The kid was breaking the law. Should not have been driving. Nothing will be don to him. That is a much bigger problem than a minor vehicle accident.

This is the result of zero consequences for behaving like a chicken-head. (See also Portland, Ore., and Seattle, Wash.) Societal decay.

F'n paradise!
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 4, 2022, 7:59 pm

Giggle wrote:
August 4, 2022, 1:50 pm
The kid was breaking the law. Should not have been driving.
Very astute observation, giggles.

Do you know if the Honda driver knew those details before he/she broke the law?

Zero consequences again, if I am reading it correctly.

SFA to do with the USA, where they both would have been correctly charged.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 4, 2022, 8:10 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
August 3, 2022, 5:55 pm

Note if Motorcycle taxed it will have Poribor therefore it is insured as is your damage.
I don't think that is correct. My understanding is that the basic Por Ror Bor only covers limited medical/hospital.

https://www.roojai.com/en/motorbike-insurance/

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 4, 2022, 9:43 pm

I believe the Por Ror Bor limit is 30,000 baht .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 4, 2022, 11:34 pm

rick wrote:
August 4, 2022, 9:43 pm
I believe the Por Ror Bor limit is 30,000 baht .
And in Mrs tam's experience, they fully disburse any payments direct to the hospital about 30 days after the filing any claim.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”