Petrol consumption - how good?

General Udon Thani topics only!
rick
udonmap.com

Petrol consumption - how good?

Post by rick » July 1, 2022, 5:56 pm

As the price of fuel spirals up, what steps are you taking to reduce your expenditure?
Most of my driving is essential (school runs, supply runs for shop) so hard to cut back the kilometres. I have taken to drive with fuel efficiency in mind (keep gear high, keep foot off the accelerator) and now getting 15-16 km/litre instead of 13.5. As it is mostly urban driving/ring road, probably the best i can get (Nissan March). Use E20.

Also, fuel quality? Used to use PTT because of their loyalty card, but the 'efficient driving' seems to suggest their fuel is underpowered - have switched to the 'green leaf' stations and engine seems to run.better at low revs.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Re: Petrol consumption - how good?

Post by fdimike » July 1, 2022, 7:22 pm

I ride my bicycle to handle most chores to include shopping. Great gas mileage!! :D Riding a bicycle also helps the environment.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 1, 2022, 8:47 pm

fdimike wrote:
July 1, 2022, 7:22 pm
I ride my bicycle to handle most chores to include shopping. Great gas mileage!! :D Riding a bicycle also helps the environment.
A trifle inconvenient when carrying 23 bags of shopping from Tesco though and a right Pain in the b*** for every other road user :-"

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » July 1, 2022, 10:45 pm

rick wrote:
July 1, 2022, 5:56 pm
Also, fuel quality? Used to use PTT because of their loyalty card, but the 'efficient driving' seems to suggest their fuel is underpowered - have switched to the 'green leaf' stations and engine seems to run.better at low revs.
This is interesting for me as we have a total of 5 vehicles. We typically use PTT and PT due to proximity and ease of VAT receipts.

We ordinarily use B7 diesel and the cheapest petrol (sohol) with the cheapest LPG normally from PTT. I have some fairly reliable fuel economy stats on each vehicle over a few years since we ALWAYS fill up instead of top up xxx baht per fill (time is money and all that).

If you think it's worth the efficiency Khun Rick, I would love to hear the changes in fuel economy numbers if you have them and which fuels you used or changed to. I am certainly willing to change to the Green Leaf stations rather than the others if it has a compelling reason for sure. Money saved is something we can all appreciate so I am willing to try something for 6 months and report back the differences in case others can use the info given a business case.

Just as a perspective number we are just under 16,000 THB total per month on the 4 units we use at our business (rolling average over 6 months, I know not much but only 1 full time driver, 2 part time). I have a feeling B7 is B7 for diesel but I will have a look. I know you switched to E20 gasohol but from what?

I'd love to hear more on the price/fuel economy stats whenever you test the Green Leaf stations and keep the other variables constant. Good science, 555. Thanks for the tip all the same and hope to hear more!
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 2, 2022, 6:41 am

Driving a 20 year old Mitsu Diesel, fuel consumption was not exactly high on my list of priorities, however I did find, more umph !! and better KPL when I use Esso Premium B7 synergy diesel , however with the price increase I alternate between Normal Esso B7 to Premium .

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 2, 2022, 11:01 am

If time is money, my experience is less relevant. I used to drive at speeds i considered 'safe', which for me was between 30-80 kph for nearly all our local driving. Now rarely exceed 60.
Driving style now is get into high gear ASAP, take foot off of accelerator once up to 40, and allow the engine to coast along, can keep going for quite a while if no obstructions - you might fall behind the traffic in front, but usually catch up at the next set of lights/busy junction. Time lost is mimimal and the few overtakers do not gain much.
With PTT fuel find have to touch the accelerator probably more often to stop car getting to slow, but we do not do enough mileage to give a confident answer. Currently average displayed on the dashboard is 15-16 km/L. If this goes up over the next couple of weeks then the 'green leaf' fuel is definitely better.
We have been using E20 for the last 8 years.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 2, 2022, 11:06 am

stattointhailand wrote:
July 1, 2022, 8:47 pm
fdimike wrote:
July 1, 2022, 7:22 pm
A trifle inconvenient when carrying 23 bags of shopping from Tesco though and a right Pain in the b*** for every other road user :-"
23 bags? Good grief man. That's entirely your fault for wasting your money shopping at Tesco's.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » July 2, 2022, 11:33 am

rick wrote:
July 2, 2022, 11:01 am
With PTT fuel find have to touch the accelerator probably more often to stop car getting to slow, but we do not do enough mileage to give a confident answer. Currently average displayed on the dashboard is 15-16 km/L. If this goes up over the next couple of weeks then the 'green leaf' fuel is definitely better.
We have been using E20 for the last 8 years.
My petrol Suzuki mostly uses LPG but I will give the green leaf a try for B7 diesel and report back my findings if they differ much from PTT. Thanks, Rick
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”