One Time Passcode (OTP) from UK

General Udon Thani topics only!
fogeyes
udonmap.com

One Time Passcode (OTP) from UK

Post by fogeyes » June 30, 2022, 10:13 am

I’m not able to receive OTP’s from my bank( Santander) in the UK.
My bank assures me the code is being sent out and the problem was with my phone provider (AIS) here.
AIS told me it was not them.
I changed phone provider to True and I’m still having the same problem.
Anybody else had similar problems?
Thanks

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: One Time Passcode (OTP) from UK

Post by jackspratt » June 30, 2022, 4:48 pm

I don't know what types of phone plans are available from UK providers, so this may not work for you.

I have a dual SIM phone, which holds my Thailand SIM (True), and a cheap, long term SIM from an Australian provider, which I top up and use when I visit there.

I turn off data access (including international roaming) for the Oz SIM while in Thailand, and reverse that when in Oz. I am able to receive 2 factor authentication (2FA) PIN numbers via SMS without issue is both places.

EDIT: the Oz SIM card - which connects to the Telstra network in Oz - connects (automatically) to the DTAC network in Thailand, rather than True.
Last edited by jackspratt on July 1, 2022, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 30, 2022, 5:14 pm

Is the bank trying to send the OTP's to a Thai number and not to a UK number?

I know not all banks in UK will send OTP's to a foreign number. My UK bank only allows you to register and use their mobile app if you have a UK sim card and from the website they only accept UK numbers for correspondence.

In my limited experience of SMS gateways it would be unusual for the problem to be with the receiving end. I.e more likely UK bank is not sending to correct number or the SMS gateway they use does not send to international numbers.

Good luck, I know how frustrating these things can be.

thewatchman
udonmap.com

Post by thewatchman » June 30, 2022, 6:17 pm

I think Deankham is spot on about certain uk banks not sending OTPs to foreign numbers,i do the same as jack,i have a uk ''GIFFGAFF '' sim card and switch over to that when needing an OTP to log on to my uk bank or use the GOV website then i switch back over to my thai sim,can you get one sent over?they are free(no contract,pay as you go) and available in lots of places,always handy to still have a uk number.
laughing at the occasional visitor and failed taxi drivers

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » June 30, 2022, 10:36 pm

Skype (paid) numbers may work with your bank as well. Some do, some don't as I read Skype do not support shortcodes but mine does so I don't need the additional SIM. I think it depends if your bank uses shortcodes or standard SMS to use Skype numbers.

Some may want to try if you especially already have a U.K. Skype number in your stable of comms.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 30, 2022, 11:16 pm

thewatchman wrote:
June 30, 2022, 6:17 pm
uk banks not sending OTPs to foreign numbers
Insular, hayseed fly-by-night operations. Not surprised.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 30, 2022, 11:36 pm

fogeyes wrote:
June 30, 2022, 10:13 am
My bank assures me the code is being sent out and the problem was with my phone provider (AIS) here.
Thanks
Some Banks allow you to go into "Tools" in your Account and change your phone number (whilst you are overseas) to your local, in this case Thai Mobile number) for the purpose of receiving your OTP.

I had a problem last year receiving my OTP from my Qatar Bank on my Qatar phone number, not coming through, whilst on holidays in Thailand. Called the Q Bank and he said, "go into your Bank account, click on Tools, input your Thai AIS number under Manage....., change your phone number to where you are," Then ask for your OTP to be resent and bingo my OTP Code came through to my Thai AIS phone number.

Maybe you can change your phone number this way, to another

My Australian Bank also sends my OTP to my Thai AIS number, with no problem

Hope this helps

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on July 1, 2022, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » July 1, 2022, 3:54 am

Question for the OP. Does Santander have a mobile app and if they do are you using it?

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » July 1, 2022, 4:14 am

The reason I ask.

When I switched over to Capital One Bank late last year I got an iPhone and downloaded their app, and after I logged into it the first time I received a push notification, similar to a text message, and haven't needed a 2FA notification for the same phone to log in since.

Same for my MacBook, no app for it but after logging in on it the first time, received a 2FA notification on my phone, haven't had to use a 2FA notification to log in again.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 1, 2022, 5:20 am

fogeyes wrote:
June 30, 2022, 10:13 am
Thanks
Same bank, same problem. Given up.

nutosf
udonmap.com

Post by nutosf » July 1, 2022, 6:36 am

I use the double sim card method. More and more apps are requiring OTP verification. I have turned off voice mail and do not receive or make calls on the US number. It is also good for receiving SMS from friends & family.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » July 1, 2022, 7:09 am

nutosf wrote:
July 1, 2022, 6:36 am
I use the double sim card method. More and more apps are requiring OTP verification. I have turned off voice mail and do not receive or make calls on the US number. It is also good for receiving SMS from friends & family.
What US phone carrier are you using?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 1, 2022, 7:45 am

Bank of America accepts a Skype number for the 2FA OTP malarkey.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » July 1, 2022, 8:40 am

I don't wish to oversimplify but some forms for phone numbers do not drop the padded 0 in Thai numbers. Then there is the possible incompatibility among dialing systems entering +66-xx-xxx-xxxx. Trying 0066-xx-xxx-xxxx may work.

This would indicate the bank is okay with overseas addresses and contact details but does have that worrisome "before moving abroad" clause:
https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/su ... ing-abroad

If you are chatting with Santander online it may be worth asking if they send standard SMS or shortcode messages for OTP as a way to help you/them diagnose the issue.

This may be a multi variable issue. Perhaps one issue with AIS (like the +66 0066 thing) and TRUE has another issue (see link below).
https://aseannow.com/topic/1237141-warn ... eir-banks/

One more thread RE AIS:
https://aseannow.com/topic/1261746-ais- ... ional-sms/
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » July 1, 2022, 2:25 pm

I list a friend's number with banks, now. The OTP is sent to him, and he telephones me with it.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » July 1, 2022, 6:59 pm

Udon Map wrote:
July 1, 2022, 2:25 pm
I list a friend's number with banks, now. The OTP is sent to him, and he telephones me with it.
I added my sister to my account(s), and did the same as you and added her phone number as a second number on my login credentials, and if necessary will use her login information, so the 2FA will be sent to her under 2 different situations and she can relay it to me in case mine has issues. Hopefully I covered myself with 2 backup options.

I’m hoping that because my 2 devices, iPhone and MacBook, have already been authenticated once I won’t need to have a 2FA to login again when I get there, like it is now, only had to do it once and hasn’t been required since.

That’s the reason I broke down and got an iPhone, because iMessage works anywhere and messages are free between iPhones. doesn’t even need a phone number and can be done over Wi-Fi.

You will not find any US banks that will send any type of 2FA to a foreign phone number, and none will if their system recognizes it as a VoIP number.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » July 1, 2022, 8:27 pm

I use my Thai sim only to receive OTP from my bank in Aus, had to register the number with them, no problem works every time, at times it takes a bit longer to come through.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 2, 2022, 9:00 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
July 1, 2022, 6:59 pm
Udon Map wrote:
You will not find any US banks that will send any type of 2FA to a foreign phone number, and none will if their system recognizes it as a VoIP number.
For my U.S. bank I only use a laptop and a USB Security Key to log in and for transfers. That way no need for one time pass code.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » July 2, 2022, 9:11 am

Stantheman wrote:
July 2, 2022, 9:00 am
Kenr6583 wrote:
July 1, 2022, 6:59 pm
Udon Map wrote:
For my U.S. bank I only use a laptop and a USB Security Key to log in and for transfers. That way no need for one time pass code.
That’s cool. Maybe someday all the banks here will have alternative verification methods. As I stated before, I’m hoping that with them already verifying my two devices, iPhone with mobile app and MacBook, I won’t have to do a 2FA when I get over there. I don’t have to do it now so I hope it stays the same.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 2, 2022, 11:52 am

The USB dongle security is pretty old technology. If it still works and is supported by the bank, it is quite convenient but a lot of businesses and banks are more cautious about the security risks with these types of devices. I wonder if it's offered to new customers?

My RBS International accounts (UK) used a card reader for online procedures but recently NatWest (who owns them) advised that they are stopping support for certain online (computer) banking and I had a 60-day notice to make sure I migrate all my 3rd party payees like businesses, family, phones and credit cards to their mobile banking app. I have to admit it's a lot faster/easier than firing up the laptop.

My Barclay's (UK) card reader was pretty much obsoleted several years ago by their smartphone app as they seemed to get away from online (computer) banking a lot sooner than NatWest did.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”