no masks?

General Udon Thani topics only!
samster
udonmap.com

Re: no masks?

Post by samster » June 29, 2022, 1:45 am

Nobody wears a mask in the UK. It's actually quite a shock when you get off the plane to see other faces. You soon get used to it though and, for the last couple of weeks I havent even considered putting one on. Whether this is part of the reason for increased cases is speculation.

Just packing my bag for return later this week and had to remember to pack a few.

When I get back to Thailand, I see nothing wrong with doing as the Thais do. Judging by the original post, that means wearing a mask. It's not a big deal and, certainly courteous.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 29, 2022, 6:12 am

Have a good/safe trip samster, hopefully by later in the week a few more locals will be confident enough to be going maskless, at least outdoors

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » June 29, 2022, 6:41 am

jackspratt wrote:
June 28, 2022, 7:44 pm
I didn't quote any facts, and neither did you.

Sounds like an anecdote to me.
I have an anecdote for you Jack. Not about Udon but being off topic has never been a problem on UM.

I wear a N95 surgical mask at work (you know the things that don't work :D :D ). Since January, 22 of the 26 people I share my workplace with have had covid. I haven't. Off course this has nothing to do with the mask or being triple vaxxed.

Anecdote 2.
Was on a train yesterday. Masks are still compulsory but there is no enforcement. I would say about 50% of people were wearing them. Caveat is that I live in a part of Melbourne with a large Asian community and we know they are happy to wear masks to protect themselves and others.

I'll be in Thailand/Udon in September. I won't wear a mask outside. I don't plan on entering shopping malls or other crowded indoor spaces but of I do I'll mask up (N95 that is).
Watch Me!!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 29, 2022, 9:08 am

samster wrote:
June 29, 2022, 1:45 am
Nobody wears a mask in the UK. It's actually quite a shock when you get off the plane to see other faces. You soon get used to it though and, for the last couple of weeks I havent even considered putting one on. Whether this is part of the reason for increased cases is speculation.
While correlation does not equal causation there is virtually no doubt at all that if people in the U.K. were wearing masks the spread would be slower.

This is nothing to do with the question of should the spread be slowed down or not. That is a completely different discussion.

I also noticed how often the air was polluted by the foul smell of second hand smoke and how I never have that experience here. The U.K. is truly backward in protecting the people, conversely you coul say that it is forward thinking in allowing freedom to smoke and discouraging mask use. I am happy that I chose to live here and will continue to wear a mask in many situations, specially when visiting local shops.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 29, 2022, 9:25 am

Then: Put mask on in the car before getting out and going anywhere on foot.

Now: Keep mask in back pocket and put it on when going into an building, mall, shop, office, etc..

Then: Wear a mask in the car if more than one person inside.

Now: Mask optional.

Example of leading by example: My bro-in-law put his mask on before getting in my truck the other day. I pondered putting mine on as maybe me being maskless gave him cause for concern. However, he followed my lead and took his mask off.

It's not rocket surgery.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 29, 2022, 11:19 am

tamada wrote:
June 29, 2022, 9:25 am
Then: Put mask on in the car before getting out and going anywhere on foot.

Now: Keep mask in back pocket and put it on when going into an building, mall, shop, office, etc..

Then: Wear a mask in the car if more than one person inside.

Now: Mask optional.

Example of leading by example: My bro-in-law put his mask on before getting in my truck the other day. I pondered putting mine on as maybe me being maskless gave him cause for concern. However, he followed my lead and took his mask off.

It's not rocket surgery.
Agree Tam, I kept my mask in my pocket and would have put it on, even if only to be courteous if I saw concerned faces. As it is, so far nobody seems bothered. I think we may see a slow movement to ditch masks in most places.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 29, 2022, 7:57 pm

tamada wrote:
Barney wrote:
June 28, 2022, 8:35 pm
tamada wrote:Has anyone seen the published "R" infection factor from the MOPH? In the UK, it's gone back above 1.0 in the 30 days up to 22 June. Gone from 0.8 to 1.4 in about 60 days.
And British news has what to do with Udon?

If you have an appointment or a need to go to the Udon land office.
Better check by phone as my trusted spy in there has just now told me that it’s closed due to Covid. Maybe 10 cases
Masks didn’t help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DID YOU NOTICE I ASKED ABOUT THE "R" INFECTION RATE IN THAILAND FROM THEIR MINISTRY OF PUBLIC HEALTH?

Hope this helps.
No need to shout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 29, 2022, 8:58 pm

fight.png

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 29, 2022, 9:23 pm

It worked!

I mean IT WORKED!
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 30, 2022, 10:31 am

Just got back from ATM & 7/11 saw about 50 or 60 people whilst out (indoors and outdoors) and every single one still wearing mask :shock:

I must admit I expected to see the odd person with the mask under the chin or at least pulled down off their nose, but not one person was not 100% masked :-k

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 30, 2022, 1:29 pm

Currently strolling Sukhumvit in Bangkok, started at Soi 49 heading downtown. All the locals are masked up with the usual smattering of chin warmers and ear danglers. Farangs are mostly unmasked like myself. However, I've seen a few that are wearing theirs but they don't look like tourists.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 30, 2022, 11:08 pm

I've heard that hopping around on one foot is a surefire deterrent to Covid.

I'm doing it starting tomorrow. It can't hurt, right?
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 2, 2022, 11:44 am

An interesting and informative article in today's Guardian, maybe we will need those masks for a very long time

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... us-vaccine
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 2, 2022, 12:39 pm

Giggle wrote:
June 30, 2022, 11:08 pm

Don't forget to change foot when you get tired, giggley.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 2, 2022, 12:54 pm

Hopefully if he gets tyred, it will be a friggin' great juggernaut that does the job :-"

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 4, 2022, 6:44 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 2, 2022, 12:39 pm
Giggle wrote:
June 30, 2022, 11:08 pm

Don't forget to change foot when you get tired, giggley.
Middle lane in high speed Hwy please

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 6, 2022, 7:03 am

It would seem that the rise in infections across the country is making the Doctors ask for Mask Mandate to be re-introduced, which begs the question just wherre are all the Mask deniers now ??

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » July 6, 2022, 2:02 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
July 6, 2022, 7:03 am
It would seem that the rise in infections across the country is making the Doctors ask for Mask Mandate to be re-introduced, which begs the question just wherre are all the Mask deniers now ??
I do not deny you should have 3 face diapers on at all times. You and the others can wear whatever you wish.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 6, 2022, 2:11 pm

Just watched a "London walkabout" vlog to see if some old haunts have changed much. Filmed on a Sunny Sunday afternoon in West end (Leicester Sq, Picc Circus, Shaftesbury Ave, Soho etc, it lasted 38 mins and in that time there were several thousand people on camera. There were six that wore a mask (all six wearing round chin not mouth/nose). The film was made in mid June, approx one week before UK released figures saying almost 2.5 million people had caught covid during the previous 7 days (1 person in 30 in England and 1 person in 18 in Scotland) ........ what a surprise :roll:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”