Where is the best place to live in SE Asia?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Where is the best place to live in SE Asia?

Post by Whistler » June 28, 2022, 10:42 am

My circumstances changed a few months ago, no longer a Mrs Whistler. A familiar story of course. So I rent a little house to fly solo while I weigh up options. I am a relative newby to living in Asia, I had not even visited this patch of the world before 2018, so interested in input. Could I tap into the collective experience (and perhaps wisdom?) of forum members. I have a 6 figure income, but as I am I am in mid 70's it would be great to simply rely on Aussie pension of around 50K a month. Intelligent comments about Thailand are welcome, but let's not use this as a Thai bashing thread.

Option 1. Stay in Udon.
Option 2. Maybe a better place in Thailand
Option 3. Vietnam
Option 4. Cambodia
Option 5. Elsewhere

cheers

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Re: Where is the best place to live in SE Asia?

Post by noosard » June 28, 2022, 10:51 am

Aussies in the Philippines get free health

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 28, 2022, 11:20 am

50,000 what? Baht , ĺaustralian dollars?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 28, 2022, 11:29 am

Plenty wisdom at UFES or even better, after Sunday lunch at Deans (before too many beers).

You never mentioned if healthcare or insurance is a concern (it probably isn't?) but noos has a good point.

1. Basing yourself in Udon while you sample elsewhere? With the easing of travel restrictions, Isaan (and the rest of Thailand) is your oyster. If Udon holds any 'bad memories' then a break is as good as a rest.

2. Not sure if there's any better but that's based on what you would consider better, ie. a bit cosmopolitan with western taints without being trashy or the ascetic monk style who wants to be alone. Could also be climate related as it's sometimes cooler elsewhere while other places have the seaside. I'd like to explore Loei myself.

3. I spent a whole lot of time working in Vietnam before Covid and it was always viewed as a possible backup if things go pear-shaped here in Thailand. They've rejigged their visa types and qualifications for them as well. I found it all quite nice and much more relaxed and cheaper in Hanoi and the north. Some I worked with complained how much dirtier than Thailand it was. I worked in China before and Vietnam may be a bit grubby but it hasn't a patch on the muck of their northern neighbors.

4. I have zero Cambodia experience but my mate, a fellow long time Thai resident did a year of business trips there. He likened it to 'Thailand in the good old days but without the cuisine.'

5. Portugal. However, Thailand is so close to other regional delights, there's a few ASEAN neighbors worth a shuftie.

Good luck
tam
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 28, 2022, 11:41 am

Bear in mind that if you want to go on to the Australian OAP, you will probably need to go back to live there for 2 years before you qualify for portability.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 28, 2022, 12:35 pm

rick wrote:
June 28, 2022, 11:20 am
50,000 what? Baht , ĺaustralian dollars?
bhat per month
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 28, 2022, 12:36 pm

jackspratt wrote:
June 28, 2022, 11:41 am
Bear in mind that if you want to go on to the Australian OAP, you will probably need to go back to live there for 2 years before you qualify for portability.
already qualified

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 28, 2022, 7:53 pm

Up to you. As you seem to have the financial means, choose somewhere that provides you with peace and happiness. Don't rely on others to make the choice for you.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » June 29, 2022, 8:11 am

I’ll be landing in Cambodia on November 11th, for good. I’ll let you know how it is there, if you haven’t figured out what you are going to do yet.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 29, 2022, 9:07 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
June 29, 2022, 8:11 am
I’ll be landing in Cambodia on November 11th, for good. I’ll let you know how it is there, if you haven’t figured out what you are going to do yet.
Bit of a quantum leap there, no? I hope you're honorary membership to UFES didn't put you off Oodorn.

Good luck with the flit.

tam
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » June 29, 2022, 9:29 am

tamada wrote:
June 29, 2022, 9:07 am
Kenr6583 wrote:
June 29, 2022, 8:11 am
Bit of a quantum leap there, no? I hope you're honorary membership to UFES didn't put you off Oodorn.

Good luck with the flit.

tam
LOL, nah. I have to be gone in November, and when I booked my flight Thailand still had entry requirements that I didn't feel like dealing with, so I booked Cambodia. I'll chill in Phnom Penh for a year, while making a few trips to LOS, and see how it is. If I don't like it I can leave at any time. Just ready to get out of here.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 29, 2022, 11:17 am

Does any place in Asia offer expats healthcare coverage, or at least the ability to join a government healthcare system.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 29, 2022, 11:31 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
June 29, 2022, 11:17 am
Does any place in Asia offer expats healthcare coverage, or at least the ability to join a government healthcare system.
Philippines for lots of nationalities

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 30, 2022, 1:14 am

There's lots of good material on youtube about ex-pat life in other countries. I enjoy this American's videos about life in the Philippines:

I'd guess there's similar material out there about Vietnam, Cambodia etc.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 30, 2022, 10:32 am

I never fell into that trap. I came across as a poor pensioner who lived from month to month. Of course that's what I am. I'm lucky to have a healthy surplus from my pensions every month. I have been married to the same woman for more than 20 years. My nest egg is in a US bank and my wife has no idea of how much I have. I wire transfer once or twice a year as needed. I offer advice to a few of my friends to never spend more money on a house, land or car that you cannot afford financially to walk away from. Some guys are trapped upcountry because they have spent their life savings on a woman they expected to live happily ever after with. Over the years I too have bought land for my wife and fixed up her house to suit myself and her of course. I am able to live exactly as I choose. I do like toys and I can afford them. I enjoy living as I choose without being on a budget, It is never more expensive than my monthly pension. I am by no means wealthy but I have more in the bank than at any time in my long life. Having no health insurance means that my nest egg will cover any major illness that I hope to never have. Life upcountry in the boonies is good. Part of my plan "B" is having a condo in my name in the farang ghetto of Jomtien. If things ever fall apart with my wife, I can pack a bag and be out of her house within a day and never look back. I am happy that without me, my wife will be fine financially.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 30, 2022, 4:30 pm

I'd say the best place in SE Asia to live is wherever you find your version of happiness or, in my case when people ask if I'm happy here in Udon I tell them I think I'm less unhappy here than I'd be back in the States.... But, then again, I'm a grumpy old codger. As for Plan B, you never know, the worst case could be Chinese tanks rolling down the Friendship Highway as they re-establish old imperial vassalage in Southeast Asia. Plan B for me then would be to abandon everything in place and booga-loo outta here, probably back the US. It would hurt me more to leave the ol' dogs and the cat than the material possessions..
Dave

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 1, 2022, 12:04 am

Hi W,

There are quite a few expats and Aussies + Kiwi's, in Phnom penh Cambodia when I was there a few years back. It was a slowly up and coming place, nice in some ways, but still backward in others. Cheaper than Thailand all round and it use to be easier to enter an stay for a long time. Long stay visa system seemed pretty easy to get, back then.

Medical facilities was one of my concerns, as they are still behind the times. Although I must say, I found Cheery Ripes, Vegemite and Turkish Delights in a Kiwi corner store in PP, which made my day.

Found it to be very safe where we stayed in PP. That was three years back, but I think it is still worth a quick look

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”