Entry charges for public parks

General Udon Thani topics only!
Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Entry charges for public parks

Post by Fuzzy Ken » June 6, 2022, 5:01 pm

I believe that this subject has been covered previously but changing circumstances make me feel that it is worth another airing:

Once again, the issue of dual pricing for entering Public Parks, in Thailand, raises its head.

The rights, wrongs, and benefits make this a truly contentious issue, and I’m none too certain what course of action is best. However, at a time when post-Covid travel is recovering and everything should be done to encourage tourism, both domestic and foreign, why raise this issue now. Surely, it would be sensible to simply make entry into all public parks, totally free for everyone, for the next 12 months.

During this time, a proper evaluation, of visitor numbers and related matters, could be made and a sensible price structure agreed to strike a balance between park maintenance and would-be visitors, which in no way discourages sightseers.

I would, nevertheless, agree to a nominal entry fee for cars, minibusses, and motorcycles, which has no connection to the origin or status of the driver.

PR at its best…..

Visit us at: https://fuzzykensblog.com

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Entry charges for public parks

Post by stattointhailand » June 6, 2022, 6:24 pm

Is there still duel pricing at some of the London museums, or did they get too much flack?

I remember a bit of a storm when they started giving discounts to London residents

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 6, 2022, 7:54 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 6, 2022, 6:24 pm
Is there still duel pricing .......
Flintlocks at dawn?

Please make sure your seconds bring bandages.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 7, 2022, 2:19 am

Rolling up my sleeves, if a foreign tourist can't afford a $5 or $10 fee to enter a public park then don't visit the park. I don't think this significantly discourages tourism. Chaos at Swampy and regular assaults on tourists might.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 7, 2022, 7:49 am

The DUAL pricing is now reported and published and will deter I am sure many tourist and ex-pats visiting.
One would not mind if the facilities provided were clean, kept up and good value,however they are not most of the time and in fact a disgrace.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 7, 2022, 2:16 pm

I thought the "Tourist tax" was being introduced to ensure the facilities provided were clean, kept up and good value, surely this negates any need to further tax the tourist by double pricing anywhere

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 7, 2022, 3:07 pm

Where as in the past a Farang producing a Thai Drivers License or Pink ID Card could get in at Thai rates has also been quashed!

This practice is not confined to Thailand. When we bought our passes to enter the Angkor Wat ruins, in Cambodia, Mrs Dero had to pay the Farang price also (we couldn't pass her off as a Cambodian even with the best BS coming from our Cambodian friends 55555). If I remember it was about US$50.00 for 3 days.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 7, 2022, 3:20 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 7, 2022, 2:16 pm
I thought the "Tourist tax" was being introduced to ensure the facilities provided were clean, kept up and good value, surely this negates any need to further tax the tourist by double pricing anywhere
Are you that naive! The Tourist Tax has been implemented to improve the Junta's retirement plan!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 8, 2022, 8:14 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
June 7, 2022, 3:07 pm
Where as in the past a Farang producing a Thai Drivers License or Pink ID Card could get in at Thai rates has also been quashed!

This practice is not confined to Thailand. When we bought our passes to enter the Angkor Wat ruins, in Cambodia, Mrs Dero had to pay the Farang price also (we couldn't pass her off as a Cambodian even with the best BS coming from our Cambodian friends 55555). If I remember it was about US$50.00 for 3 days.
Don't know what the fuss is all about. If they said tourist price was the correct price and Nationals get in for a discounted price then there would be very little cry's of anguish from non Thai's.
As Dero pointed out, very few complaints about Angkor or many other attractions worldwide that do the same.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 8, 2022, 4:35 pm

There is NO fuss, but IF and it is a BIG IF, the facilities provided from Toilets to restaurants ,safety etc are acceptable. Most toilets are dirty, un-hygenic and STINK. Food supp-lied by in house faciltities is over-priced and generally poor quality.
If I am expected to pay double or even quadruple then I expect those aforementioned problems are kept to a high standard. I appreciate that Thais rarely complain so the standards will drop to the lowest denominator that of the THAI Tourist, not the International Tourist they seek , and then expect them to pay inflated fees .

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » June 9, 2022, 9:02 am

In my original post, I suggested a 12-month free entry period for all, during which a detailed assessment of needs and what is on offer could be made.

I cannot recall visiting a public park, so difficult for me to judge; however, if one is expected to pay, does the entry fee include a map showing where the toilet and eating facilities are located plus a helpful guide in English, explaining something of the history of the park and what there is to see.

A car full of visitors, being interrogated about their status and whether they are tourists or residents with pink cards, work permits and passports is time-consuming and hardly constitutes a welcome, with or without a smile.

A fixed charge for all adults with accompanied children under10 being allowed in free of charge would solve so many problems.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 9, 2022, 6:15 pm

Fuzzyken wrote:
June 9, 2022, 9:02 am
In my original post, I suggested a 12-month free entry period for all, during which a detailed assessment of needs and what is on offer could be made.

I cannot recall visiting a public park, so difficult for me to judge; however, if one is expected to pay, does the entry fee include a map showing where the toilet and eating facilities are located plus a helpful guide in English, explaining something of the history of the park and what there is to see.

A car full of visitors, being interrogated about their status and whether they are tourists or residents with pink cards, work permits and passports is time-consuming and hardly constitutes a welcome, with or without a smile.

A fixed charge for all adults with accompanied children under10 being allowed in free of charge would solve so many problems.
Easy solution Ken. DONT GO. Most of them are an absolute 'let down' anyway. What does your proposal entail. Thai's pay visitor prices or visitors (Aliens) pay Thai prices?

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 9, 2022, 6:45 pm

Aren't they called National Parks??

I think most public parks are free!!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”