Don't mess with Thai's

General Udon Thani topics only!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Don't mess with Thai's

Post by Khun Paul » January 23, 2022, 9:45 am

As usual distorted news from a cheap second rate newspaper designed to make brits believe Thailand is bad.
Anti-social behaviour seems the most li8kely reason for a mild Thai nutter to get upset, resulting in the death of a a probable loud mouthed slightly deaf brit ( deaf because fo loud music ) .

Anyone here knows Thai egos are fragile at best , loss of face more important than the law and reality. If you are going to post it should read. Respect Thailand and its laws , Culture rules here not laws.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » January 23, 2022, 9:49 am

Sky news! no! not just the SUN NEWSPAPER! and yes they had it coming blaring out music early hours of the morning! Som Nam nah!
https://news.sky.com/story/thailand-att ... t-12522727

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 23, 2022, 9:53 am

^^ Ah yes, the "fragile Thai ego" excuse for being perpetually unable or unwilling to suss out and accomodate the local culture.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » January 23, 2022, 10:12 am

Of course the natural thing to do is stab someone to death if they are playing loud music, it is just Thai culture don't you know?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 23, 2022, 11:48 am

in my many years of living here I've been kept awake by loud music innumerable times.. Luk Thung bands at a marriage/death/anniversary thumping away throughout the night.. If Thai culture had a dislike of loud noise at 3AM or later I haven't seen it... The murderer was likely a true nutter...
Dave

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » January 23, 2022, 12:25 pm

whiskey + yaba + mental illness and thais know
their " off" . but often they're just left to wander
about. thais tolerance is amazing. then they snap

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 23, 2022, 12:30 pm

I agree that it wasn't the loud music. The Thai guy was without a doubt a nutter. I too get irritated by all the LOUD music, weddings, funerals and many holidays. Long ago I came to the conclusions that Thai people love noise. Blown out, cracked old speakers and the boom, boom is what they like. I just put up with it. I don't have to get up and go to work in the mornings so it is not a big deal. I learned years ago to not concern myself with things I have no control over.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 23, 2022, 1:03 pm

jai yen yen wrote:
January 23, 2022, 10:12 am
Of course the natural thing to do is stab someone to death if they are playing loud music, it is just Thai culture don't you know?
This just in!

Mentally disturbed people murder other people in countries other than Thailand.

More at 10...
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 23, 2022, 1:09 pm

As I read deeper into this thread, I was surprised by the absence of any mention of eggs. :-s

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » January 23, 2022, 1:15 pm

tamada wrote:
January 23, 2022, 1:03 pm
jai yen yen wrote:
This just in!

More at 10...
True but no one claims it to be their culture. Only in Thailand do people bow down to this nonsense.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » January 23, 2022, 2:12 pm

And on the other foot , i soon learned (loud festivals into the wee hours from the temple 100 meters away a few times a year ) if you cant beat them ,join them ,,,theres always a drinking crew tucked away somewhere , :D

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 23, 2022, 3:10 pm

jai yen yen wrote:
January 23, 2022, 1:15 pm
tamada wrote:
January 23, 2022, 1:03 pm
jai yen yen wrote:
This just in!

More at 10...
True but no one claims it to be their culture. Only in Thailand do people bow down to this nonsense.
If you read my earlier comment on 'fragile ego' as suggesting that getting murderously violent over loud music is culturally permissible in Thailand, then you're barking up the wrong tree.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » January 23, 2022, 3:17 pm

you don't need a long memory. sam phrao not
so long ago a disturbed uncle offed a farang in
drunken rage. then , garden hoe incident at park

in fairness, no different than other countries
& they do it to each other. not racist thing either
half dozen giving a kicking. not even news :-s

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 23, 2022, 4:12 pm

as for loud noise. No, most Thais don't like it. I've heard the complaints of many old Thai folks that they couldn't sleep a wink due to a nearby party. There's the culture thing, the krengjai that "oh we don't want to upset anybody by complaining..." And who would you complain to since if its a large party in a village you can bet the Phu Yai Ban, Tessaban officials and any number of police will be attending to either show their respects or be offered a free meal and a few drinks.. From my readings the "Law" (capital L) says weekdays That is Sunday evening through Thursday the noise must stop at 11PM. Weekends that is Friday and Saturday nights midnight It is only rarely observed.
Dave

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » January 23, 2022, 5:51 pm

It's not the music that bothers most. It's the righteous indignation that rears its head when a neighbor shows such blatant disregard for his neighbors by disturbing their peace all night. In places like Japan they recognize community over the individual, but in Thailand it's all about "me first" which it totally selfish. I don't care who you are or what your culture is, no one has the right to destroy another person's peace, especially up until the wee hours of the morning. Clearly these Brits were acting like privileged Thais, and they should have known it was wrong. As for the Thais and their late night parties with speakers blaring, we can all agree that it may be a once in a year thing with a neighbor and just tolerate it for that one night, but the proper thing to do is to give notice in the neighborhood beforehand and the neighbors will be much more understanding. Why would anyone want to offend their neighbors who are hopefully there to watch over your home and offer you protection and security when you need it? Why is that concept so difficult to grasp? It's just good manners, but for your average Thai it seems beneath them to be considerate of others.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 23, 2022, 11:34 pm

This happens in almost all western societies nowadays. It's the old 'I'm alright, Jack' attitude, and if you don't like it, try and make something out of it stance.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 24, 2022, 1:59 am

The Thai neighbours came around during one of my occasional visits a few years back and told us they were going to have a Karaoke bash but would finish at 2300 hours the same night, which they did.

Very civilised.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 24, 2022, 4:55 am

Earnest wrote:
January 24, 2022, 1:59 am
The Thai neighbours came around during one of my occasional visits a few years back and told us they were going to have a Karaoke bash but would finish at 2300 hours the same night, which they did.

Very civilised.
It would have been even more civilised if they had asked you to perform some of your favourite George Formby ditties.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

nesnas123

Re: Don't mess

Post by nesnas123 » January 31, 2022, 9:04 pm

The ideal says, a strange, be polite. So everyone must respect the country and its people

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”