Inflation

General Udon Thani topics only!
papafarang
udonmap.com

Inflation

Post by papafarang » January 2, 2022, 10:16 am

Inflation is going rampant, this week for sunday lunch potatoes are up 9b kg , cabbage up ,carrots up , beef up 40b kg , chicken now 77b kg, pork up from 140b kg to 220b kg. ridiculous price jumps.

Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

the-monk
udonmap.com

Re: Inflation

Post by the-monk » January 2, 2022, 10:22 am

Yet the official figure will peg the inflation rate at 2-3 % .

Sam1925
udonmap.com

Post by Sam1925 » January 7, 2022, 8:08 pm

Try living in other countries, if you think your prices are high. :roll:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 7, 2022, 9:11 pm

Sam1925 wrote:
January 7, 2022, 8:08 pm
Try living in other countries, if you think your prices are high. :roll:
Yeah, but look at the awesome quality of life you get in Oz.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 7, 2022, 9:15 pm

Back on topic. It's shocking. Sister-in-law has a market stall and she's stressed as her suppliers are asking more and she has to think very carefully about what will still sell.

More seriously, Mrs tam has applied for a 50 k baht hike in her annual stipend.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Teacher Dan
udonmap.com

Post by Teacher Dan » January 7, 2022, 11:14 pm

papafarang wrote:
January 2, 2022, 10:16 am
Inflation is going rampant, this week for sunday lunch potatoes are up 9b kg , cabbage up ,carrots up , beef up 40b kg , chicken now 77b kg, pork up from 140b kg to 220b kg. ridiculous price jumps.
My wife just pointed that out to me today and the pork price jump was huge percentage-wise but my son is in a marketing class with university and he said they talked about that in class. Many pigs were infected with some form of virus and they had to kill a lot of them so that is why the price jumped so much. It should come back down eventually but still overall, all prices are going to go up some--the entire world is suffering inflation so it was only a matter of time before it hit here.
“In an age of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. You reap what you sow--if you treat me with respect, I respond in kind; but if you insult or disrespect me, I treat you with the contempt your deserve."

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » January 8, 2022, 12:39 am

We are going to see inflation world wide like never before. Here in Canada it is taking off, housing has gone up 30 to 50% this last year alone. Groceries, fuel, everything is on the way up and there is no end in sight.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 8, 2022, 5:59 am

Actually it's not really anything to do with swine flu, that was more than a year ago. the problem is simple. raising pigs simply became non viable for a lot of thais, feed ,medication , everything went up so much that no one wanted to raise pigs . 80% of the pork in thailand is produced by small producers and a lot of them have quit the business. sad to say it but i can't see prices dropping. the new reality is the world has been pumped with so much free cash to keep the markets up that eventually it's a bubble. we can't really complain , it's capitalism .
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 8, 2022, 7:34 am

Correct Dean, read many articles about the rise in P{ork prices and i9t is NOT the cost of the Pork that has gone up, but the COST of raising them, small prodiuers squeezed out by rising costs of almost everything .

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » January 8, 2022, 7:38 am

Free cash is not capitalism.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 8, 2022, 7:56 am

Declan MacPherson wrote:
January 8, 2022, 7:38 am

Free cash is not capitalism.
so why does america just keep printing cash ? of course it's capitalism , it's based on consumerism ,without cash flowing the whole thing collapses. did you not get your free cash from the american government ? :lol:

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » January 8, 2022, 7:59 am

papafarang wrote:
January 8, 2022, 7:56 am

so why does america just keep printing cash ? of course it's capitalism , it's based on consumerism ,without cash flowing the whole thing collapses. did you not get your free cash from the american government ?
It is not capitalism. It is not free enterprise. It is government subsidizing private citizens.

I have never received free cash from the federal government.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 8, 2022, 8:46 am

Back to pork prices, Thailand has placed a 3 month ban on live pig exports in an effort to stop the spiralling local costs. It appears that ASF has had a huge impact, notably in China and the regional shortage is being exacerbated by demand ahead of CNY.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-supplies

https://www.thepigsite.com/news/2021/11 ... n-thailand

I recall being surprised a few years back to learn that Malaysia is a significant pork producer with the bulk of it for export. I am not sure if the falling price trend in the following has changed in recent times.

https://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/ ... rrency=myr
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 8, 2022, 9:05 am

Last year my wife sold her paddy rice for 13 baht a kilo. This year the price is about 7 baht a kilo. Every thing is getting more expensive and the farmers crop prices are going the other way.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 8, 2022, 9:58 am

Declan MacPherson wrote:
January 8, 2022, 7:59 am
papafarang wrote:
January 8, 2022, 7:56 am

so why does america just keep printing cash ? of course it's capitalism , it's based on consumerism ,without cash flowing the whole thing collapses. did you not get your free cash from the american government ?
It is not capitalism. It is not free enterprise. It is government subsidizing private citizens.

I have never received free cash from the federal government.
government subsidizing private citizens. :lol: it's the government subsidizing private enterprise, give the minions cash to keep private businesses afloat , how long would an energy supplier last if people didn't pay bills , how long would banks last if no one could pay their loans , oh yeh been there already. All the government did was give the cash to the people instead of just handing cash to big business. the government gave trillions away to support capitalism

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 8, 2022, 10:32 am

glalt wrote:
January 8, 2022, 9:05 am
Last year my wife sold her paddy rice for 13 baht a kilo. This year the price is about 7 baht a kilo. Every thing is getting more expensive and the farmers crop prices are going the other way.
sadly it's the way it goes, 7 baht a kilo probably didn't cover the costs of production, bigger profits for the middle men and higher profits for the retailer. thais have grown rice for thousands of years, but most still live in wooden houses with rusty tin roofs. everyone loves capitalism until your at the bottom. on the bright side at least thai farmers can feed themselves, just hard for them to make money, even they have bills to pay

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » January 8, 2022, 10:36 am

government subsidizing private citizens. :lol: it's the government subsidizing private enterprise, give the minions cash to keep private businesses afloat , how long would an energy supplier last if people didn't pay bills , how long would banks last if no one could pay their loans , oh yeh been there already. All the government did was give the cash to the people instead of just handing cash to big business. the government gave trillions away to support capitalism
What the government is doing is not capitalism.

It does not matter whether they give it to a business or to an individual.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 8, 2022, 5:11 pm

end this month we will see the damage more clearly , most of the hotels have been surviving thanks to the subsidy program by the government , giving a discount of 40 %, and other coupons (paid by the gov) for all thais reservations , this being the reason of full occupancy of many 4-5 star hotels during long weekends , as this is coming to an end (15 jan?)future reservations are as good as null ..., as the thais do not pay full price and foreigners are not coming as planned ..., + all non booze covid regulations will be the death of many ... i wonder how the baht will withstand this one :-k

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 8, 2022, 6:40 pm

Per my wife: 1kg beef at the kilo18 market today 300 Baht, sticky rice cheaper than a year-two ago, veggies cheap as always (taking seasonal things into account), fish cheap, milk same as a few years ago, corn flakes same, soap powder cheaper than a year-two ago, cat/dog food about the same, Uncle Mustache's lahb same as last year (he raised prices just over a year ago), my super jumbo noodle soup price 70 baht (price went up early last year), diesel fixed price, cooking oil about the same as last year, Tipco fruit juice same as last year, kitchen gas 352 cheaper than last year, pork in Makro 170/kg, my Aroma ground coffee in Makro 30% cheaper than I was paying last year in Lotus/Villa, seasonal veggies in the market cheap as they've always been, cheaper still in the Sunday market at kilo 16, eggs not much change, if any., sugar the same, corn flakes still 94 per half kilo for years, dentist 800bt for cleaning, internet/mobile phone charges stupid cheap, off-season ripe mangoes 50bt/kg, garbage pickup 20bt/month, electric subsidized for 6 months in 2021, back to normal prices today.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » January 8, 2022, 6:43 pm

parrot wrote:
January 8, 2022, 6:40 pm
Per my wife: 1kg beef at the kilo18 market today 300 Baht, sticky rice cheaper than a year-two ago, veggies cheap as always (taking seasonal things into account), fish cheap, milk same as a few years ago, corn flakes same, soap powder cheaper than a year-two ago, cat/dog food about the same, Uncle Mustache's lahb same as last year (he raised prices just over a year ago), my super jumbo noodle soup price 70 baht (price went up early last year), diesel fixed price, cooking oil about the same as last year, Tipco fruit juice same as last year, kitchen gas 352 cheaper than last year, pork in Makro 170/kg, my Aroma ground coffee in Makro 30% cheaper than I was paying last year in Lotus/Villa, seasonal veggies in the market cheap as they've always been, cheaper still in the Sunday market at kilo 16, eggs not much change, if any., sugar the same, corn flakes still 94 per half kilo for years, dentist 800bt for cleaning, internet/mobile phone charges stupid cheap, off-season ripe mangoes 50bt/kg, garbage pickup 20bt/month, electric subsidized for 6 months in 2021, back to normal prices today.
Very similar in Chonburi. My shopper sees no difference year over year.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”