water

General Udon Thani topics only!
carrick

water

Post by carrick » October 28, 2021, 1:19 am

anybody know how much to get connected to water mains.udon near driver test centre.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: water

Post by AlexO » October 28, 2021, 8:35 pm

Depends how far from the main distribution pipe. Cost us 34K baht 5 years ago for 120m of pipe and meter.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 29, 2021, 4:47 am

They test drivers here?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 29, 2021, 9:15 pm

Provincial Waterworks Authority located off east Ring Road. They may be able to address getting a line extended to your place although they mostley just do monthly bill payments. located here; https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.39578 ... .64z?hl=en

Main PWA office that is full service for all requests is down off the northeast corner of Nong Prajak Lake near the main Hospital. Located here: https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.41953 ... .36z?hl=en

A fellow I know had a line extended about 250 metersor more. The PWA tipped him to a "contractor" that he had purchase the roll of PVC water pipe and install. They did a nonsense job burying it mere inches below the surface so its gotten broken a half-aodzen times. So, buyer beware. Know your requirements as in what diamter water line do you want.. Monitor the water line installation to make sure Somchai buries it as least a foot or more. The water line is long rolls of PVC pipe but I'm not sure of the roll length. You probably could check any of the big box construction stores like Global, Thai Watsadu or Do Home...
Dave

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 29, 2021, 9:46 pm

tamada wrote:
October 29, 2021, 4:47 am
They test drivers here?
And putters and Irons :-$

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 29, 2021, 9:50 pm

To think a bit out of the box, I wouldn't worry about the supply line capacity. Our village water is on and off nearly every day. Even when it is on, there is not enough pressure to activate the the switch in the hot water shower. I bought a 1,600 liter storage tank with a mechanical float valve and a water pump. A one inch line is able to keep the storage tank full.

I then went one step further. I collected water off the roof into the storage tank. It was great soft water for showers and the washing machine. Someone told my wife that that rainwater coming off the roof was dangerous because of bird crap and dirt off the roof. If you have a Thai wife, you already know that Thai people are smarter than this old farang. I told her there was no problem because we didn't drink the water, but she believed them and it was back to all village water.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » October 30, 2021, 5:26 am

glalt wrote:
October 29, 2021, 9:50 pm
I then went one step further. I collected water off the roof into the storage tank. It was great soft water for showers and the washing machine. Someone told my wife that that rainwater coming off the roof was dangerous because of bird crap and dirt off the roof.
Everyone used to have a tank in Aus until someone decided on a similar argument and spread the "stories" to all the up coming yuppies. Farms etc. still rely on them.

Back in early 2000 along came the government and made it mandatory for all new houses to have a certain size tank for toilets and washing machines. Trouble there was because of the structure of the requirement, cost was an enormous burden as it was a maze of pipes and valves to suit the "requirements" which were way over the top.
Thing was, the whole shebang used to get "overridden" once inspection was completed.
Needless to say the whole idea was scrapped after only a couple of years.

Still a good move I believe to have some form of rainwater storage. AS kids, we couldn't wait to get to Pop's house and have a drink from the concrete lined steel tank. Never did anyone any harm.
Easy enough to have a waste and cleanout bypass on the line for the first run on each downpour.
Surprised actually that Thailand has so much water cut off problems yet no one fits gutters and collects the rain.
Like you, we had the local guy drop by and fit "country gutters" to both the house and the shop out front.
Best move ever.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 30, 2021, 6:24 am

When I came here one of things I noticed about a country which not only had oodles of sun was the fact they had noway of collecting the rainwater coming off the roofs, which made the rainy season a nightmare of flooded streets eetc.
So upon purchase of my house and not wanting the garden continually flooded in the WET season, I installed tanks p[laced around the house with the relevant guttering to collect water . Needless to say after only a few weeks into the rainy season all tanks were full .
. Plus I installed tanks to hold village water, as initially like so many the on off supply was annoying, that no longer is happening byut the storage once installed is still used.

But the best tanks by far are the teel ones whose ouput pipe is located some SIX inches above the bottom of the tanks, allowing for any sediment to sink to the bottom and also with a drainage capacity, allows cleaning of said sediment on a yearly basis. , same with the garden tanks, in 20 years, never drained and never a problem with sediment.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 30, 2021, 9:14 am

Double post
Last edited by glalt on October 30, 2021, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 30, 2021, 9:14 am

My storage tank is a stainless steel 1,600 liter capacity. The water is drawn through the top with a check valve. To make my wife feel better, I also have a VERY large stainless steel activated charcoal filter. I have no idea if it does any good at all. I failed to convince her that filter would remove any poison. In any case my wife says the water off the roof will kill us even though we happily used it for well over a year. One of the Thai "EXPERTS" told her so. If she doesn't mind showering and washing clothes in super hard water, why should I complain other than the hot water heaters don't last long and the shower head needs cleaning the minerals out every so often. I should add that she washes her hair with rainwater, but only rain water that comes off a steel roof. LOL!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 30, 2021, 9:38 am

glalt wrote:

I then went one step further. I collected water off the roof into the storage tank. It was great soft water for showers and the washing machine. Someone told my wife that that rainwater coming off the roof was dangerous because of bird crap and dirt off the roof. If you have a Thai wife, you already know that Thai people are smarter than this old farang. I told her there was no problem because we didn't drink the water, but she believed them and it was back to all village water.
Take TW for a walk down to the local reservoir to see the local buffalo herder taking the beasts for a swim as happens here in our village!

People have been drinking rain water off the roof since the human race built his/her 1st shelter. Bit of bird crap or dust will not kill you and it wont be a problem if you let the first rains pass before storing it. I've been drinking rain water most of my life both here and rural properties in Aus. = much better than the swill Mrs Dero buys in those 15 litre bottles.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » October 30, 2021, 10:19 am

Fifteen years ago nearly every house in the wife's village had the big earthenware jars for collecting rainwater from their roofs. I think they were called kon tho. I know that the wife's family have fine mesh cloth filters at the discharge end to strain the runoff before entering the jar. The jars have lightweight metal covers.

Nowadays, most everyone has access to the village water lines but many still collect the runoff rainwater in the big jars as backup storage and for household use.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » October 30, 2021, 10:40 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
October 30, 2021, 9:38 am
glalt wrote:

Take TW for a walk down to the local reservoir to see the local buffalo herder taking the beasts for a swim as happens here in our village!

People have been drinking rain water off the roof since the human race built his/her 1st shelter. Bit of bird crap or dust will not kill you and it wont be a problem if you let the first rains pass before storing it. I've been drinking rain water most of my life both here and rural properties in Aus. = much better than the swill Mrs Dero buys in those 15 litre bottles.
We have two 2000 liter plastic tanks and six ouwn's (spelling, big earthenware pots)that hold about 2000 liters all being filled from the roof during the wet season. Two plastic tanks use both rainwater and in the dry season PWA piped supply. Wife's PaPa only drinks rain water from one of the ouwn's but boils it on his wee BBQ unit before bottling it. I am sure he takes it down to the village either to give away or sell for a shot of Lao Kouw as he does about 10 bottles a day.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 30, 2021, 10:53 am

Our drinking water comes from the RO water in those translucent bottles. I have several solar systems and no longer buy distilled water for the batteries. I test the water from the jugs by putting some in a pan and boil it dry. If there is a white film in the bottom on the pan, the water still has minerals and is not suitable for batteries. So far the bottom of the pan stays clean so is suitable for my batteries. That said, I recently replaced all my batteries with sealed batteries so no more adding water. I do take care of my batteries and don't discharge them below 50 percent. The original batteries lasted about 8 years so the bottled RO water must not have hurt then.

Rayq81
udonmap.com

Post by Rayq81 » November 7, 2021, 4:16 pm

We are still living in the dark ages where my farm is, it's a drill hole and pump for water at my place

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » November 8, 2021, 4:27 am

We had a bore put in around 5 years ago.
First strike was around 30 ft. but the guy said mai dee.
So went double that, and had it tested and shown to be free of any nasties.
Would not drink it but ok for most things and it has remained clean and plentiful.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 8, 2021, 6:53 am

I was informed the local authorities banned the digging of bore holes in parts of Udon province ..can anyone confirm re drilling a bore hole here ..is it ok in rural Udon and only illegal in the city limits as im guessing ??

If possible to drill its the way to go IMO (if the water is of reasonable quality ).. our place in rural Buriram has bore water excellent clean and plenty full ..went down circa 40m if i recall correctly and 3 yrs ago cost 18k not including the pump.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 8, 2021, 9:51 am

details at https://www.watcarakarn.com/%E0%B8%84%E ... d43abbc7a7

groundwater area

Groundwater Act, B.E. 2520, Minister of Natural Resources and Environment By the recommendation of the Groundwater Committee, the groundwater area has been determined. The depth of groundwater and groundwater area offices throughout the country that require drilling permits and permission to use are as follows:
area

Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon Nakhon, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Yasothon, Roi Et, Loei, Si Sa Ket, Sakon Nakhon, Surin, Nong Khai
, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Krabi, Kanchanaburi, Kamphaeng Phet, Chanthaburi, Chon Buri, Chai Nat, Chumphon, Chiang Mai, Trat, Trang, Tak, Nakhon Nayok, Nakhon Sawan Narathiwat, Nan, Thailand, Prachin Buri, Pattani Phayao, Phichit, Phitsanulok. Phetchabun, Phetchaburi, Phrae, Phang Nga, Phatthalung, Phuket, Mae Hong Son, Yala, Ranong, Rayong, Ratchaburi, Lopburi, Lampang, Lamphun, Songkhla, Satun, Samut Songkhram, Sa Kaeo, Saraburi, Sing Buri, Sukhothai, Suphan Buri, Surat Thani, Ang Thong, Uthai Thani, Uttaradit.

depth

- more than 15 meters
from the soil surface - more than 20 meters
from the soil surface - more than 30 meters from the soil surface

That said, our well was drilled in 1998, no permit. Three of our neighbors have had wells drilled over the past 15 years, no permit. 18 km outside of town, but in the municipality. Then again, when we built our house in 1998, we didn't get any sort of permit/license/engineering check from either the city or tetsabahn.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 8, 2021, 11:16 am

I drilled in 2547, nothing asked for by anyone , cost 15000.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 8, 2021, 12:17 pm

Our second bore hole was drilled a little over a year ago. No one mentioned anything about a permit.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”