Flooding, Khonkaen

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Flooding, Khonkaen

Post by parrot » October 10, 2021, 12:09 pm

A particular subdivision in Khonkaen has been in the news the past few days.....inundated with flood waters. Nice enough looking 2 story homes with flood waters reaching nearly to the second floor. I took a look at google earth: the subdivision is between a major twist in the Chi River.......and the subdivision serves as a soup bowl between the twist.
It reminds me of the flood in Udon 20 or so years ago when many areas in Udon were in the same boat. Lots of building/filling/roads in those years......makes one wonder where the water will go next time Udon is in the crosshairs.
https://mgronline.com/local/detail/9640000099113

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Flooding, Khonkaen

Post by stattointhailand » October 10, 2021, 1:07 pm

One hopes we NEVER see flooding like that again parrot

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 10, 2021, 7:39 pm

My motor-biking friend left Ban Dung this morning, heading back to his abode in Rayong.

He arrived for his overnight stay in Korat (via KK) at around 1.00pm, without having been inconvenienced by either flooded roads, or officials questioning his vaccination status. Road works were an issue, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Last edited by jackspratt on October 10, 2021, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 10, 2021, 8:53 pm

parrot wrote:
October 10, 2021, 12:09 pm
A particular subdivision in Khonkaen has been in the news the past few days.....inundated with flood waters. Nice enough looking 2 story homes with flood waters reaching nearly to the second floor. I took a look at google earth: the subdivision is between a major twist in the Chi River.......and the subdivision serves as a soup bowl between the twist.
It reminds me of the flood in Udon 20 or so years ago when many areas in Udon were in the same boat. Lots of building/filling/roads in those years......makes one wonder where the water will go next time Udon is in the crosshairs.
https://mgronline.com/local/detail/9640000099113
There has been quite a bit of flooding in Ban Pai a bit south of Khon Kaen. My wife, and a few of her work colleagues, have been doing volunteer work there for the past few days mainly cooking and manual tasks.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 10, 2021, 9:04 pm

Good drills, Uncle T, I've not seen her on FB for a while, have you unfriended me? I hope she's kitted out Mr Fat with a buoyancy aid, we wouldn't want him washed away to the reservoir, would we.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 10, 2021, 9:12 pm

I could never unfriend you, that would be a sin. She and her friends have posted some photos of their volunteer work on facebook. I'll send you a few. The flea bitten bastard, Mr. Fat, has retired and spends most of his time sleeping these days.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 11, 2021, 8:32 am

urban flood control here seems to focus on raising roads to preven their being innundated during heavy rains. That of course leads to them becoming, essentially dams with inadequate culverts to let the flood waters flow away freely. In our area such road raises have elft one portion of the village subject to regular flooding (30-70cm) any time it rains hard. The Tessaban had to replace a small culvert that allowed the water to escape with a 1.5 meter one (closed the road for a bit) and even with that, the Tessaban has a large diesel pump permanently stationed in the area during the rainy season to aid in pumping water out of the affected area. Yesterday I wateched a video of the SRT tracks between KK and Khorat that were flooded with lots of roadbed washed out. Same concept. Dual tracks with inadequate cross culverts acting as kilomters of dams..
Dave

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”