Thai driving license.

General Udon Thani topics only!
THAIICE
udonmap.com

Thai driving license.

Post by THAIICE » September 4, 2021, 5:12 pm

Gents ! Some years ago I used an. " agency" to get a Thai driving license in Udon after producing my UK license and taking a medical.Well I've forgotten the name,address etc of the place .Does anyone know if it still exists and if so the name and location. Thanks in advance.

samuel
udonmap.com

Re: Thai driving license.

Post by samuel » September 4, 2021, 6:30 pm

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 4, 2021, 7:23 pm

The only thing I remember about obtaining my first Thai license was the fact that my "medical" cost B30 for the signed paper and that the Dr must have had pretty good eyesight as I didnt leave the car (with tinted windows) during the whole 2 minutes Mrs Statts took to obtain it
Thinking about it I do remember needing to sponsor the Office tea club B500 (about GBP 6.75p at the time) to get it done straight away instead of returning the next day to collect :oops:

THAIICE
udonmap.com

Post by THAIICE » September 5, 2021, 6:12 am

Sounds about right

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 6, 2022, 10:50 am

My 15yr old daughter was successful today in obtaining her bike license.
She’s been riding under supervision for a few months and that has paid off.
Booked in for the theory class 30 December being passed and returned today for the practical ride test today.
Passed and now has her year probationary license.
Unfortunately she will now think my bike is her bike.
It’s a shame more of the younger brigade don’t find the time to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » January 6, 2022, 3:41 pm

yup my 16yr old boy recently got his bike licence..I promised him years ago that I would buy him a bike at 16, but he had to get his licence first. so he did, and he got his bike...years before I hounded the missus and son that if they wanted to ride my Phantoms they had to wear a helmut..no helmut. no Phantom, now both have licences and helmuts..

I see also that next month big bike riders will need a special big bike licence and riding test..

JohnKing
udonmap.com

Post by JohnKing » January 9, 2022, 1:59 pm

Do you need a Thai Diving Licence to drive in Thailand.
Can you not use a full UK Photo Driving Licence?

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » January 9, 2022, 10:53 pm

As I understand it, you cannot legally drive in thailand using a UK licence. You require either a Thai licence or an International Driving Permit (despite what the car/motorbike hire companies tell you}. :shock:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 10, 2022, 12:05 am

JohnKing wrote:
January 9, 2022, 1:59 pm
Do you need a Thai Diving Licence to drive in Thailand.
Can you not use a full UK Photo Driving Licence?
A full U.K. photo licence may be accepted by the police, however not all police will accept only that and some/many will require that you also have an IDP. Also few if any insurance companies will allow even a moderate claim if you have been in Thailand for more than 90 days and do not have a Thai driving license. So even if the police allow you to drive you could be faced with an enormously expensive problem if you don’t bother to get your Thai licenses.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 10, 2022, 10:03 am

Bonanza wrote:
January 9, 2022, 10:53 pm
As I understand it, you cannot legally drive in thailand using a UK licence. You require either a Thai licence or an International Driving Permit (despite what the car/motorbike hire companies tell you}. :shock:
Correct like the way the EU is going an IDP ( easily obtained will suffice for Tourists, but check with your Insurance Company on valididity after three months . beware the small print which will be in Thai and probably never checked`.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 10, 2022, 12:26 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
January 10, 2022, 10:03 am
Bonanza wrote:
Correct like the way the EU is going an IDP ( easily obtained will suffice for Tourists, but check with your Insurance Company on valididity after three months . beware the small print which will be in Thai and probably never checked`.
Just to clarify, the 90 days is counted from the date you enter Thailand not the date you took out insurance. Also the fact that an IDP is customary valid for 1 year has no influence over the time you are allowed to drive using it. Many countries legally limit the time to 90 days from entry, though it is not unusual for individual police officers to not enforce the restriction.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 10, 2022, 12:37 pm

Bonanza wrote:
I Drove on My U.K DL For about the first 2 Years I Lived here...NO Problem,But I'm Now on my 4th 5 Year Thai Licence Now..

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » January 10, 2022, 6:51 pm

You can drive on your UK license for 6 months
After that you must get a Thai License.
It is a reciprocal agreement with the UK as a Thai license is valid in the UK for 6 months
This is for tourists on holiday in Thailand and vice versa.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 10, 2022, 9:08 pm

pal52 wrote:
January 10, 2022, 6:51 pm
It is a reciprocal agreement with the UK as a Thai license is valid in the UK for 6 months
Would you please give the source for your information, yours is the first time I have seen anything more than 3 months (90 days)

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » January 11, 2022, 11:27 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
January 10, 2022, 9:08 pm
pal52 wrote:
Would you please give the source for your information, yours is the first time I have seen anything more than 3 months (90 days)
Actually your UK license is now valid for 12 months but only if it is accompanied by a 1949 International Driving Permit which lasts foe 12 months from issue.

The same applies for using a Thai license in UK (reciprocal agreement)

I was informed by the Thai licensing office that if I apply for a long term stay such as Retirement or Marraige I must change to a Thai license.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 11, 2022, 2:31 pm

pal52 wrote:
January 11, 2022, 11:27 am
sometimewoodworker wrote:
January 10, 2022, 9:08 pm
pal52 wrote:
Actually your UK license is now valid for 12 months but only if it is accompanied by a 1949 International Driving Permit which lasts foe 12 months from issue.

The same applies for using a Thai license in UK (reciprocal agreement)

I was informed by the Thai licensing office that if I apply for a long term stay such as Retirement or Marraige I must change to a Thai license.
So no official source, other than “I was told”?

As I have posted the RTP may not have a problem with that. However you will almost certainly not be able to get insurance cover beyond 90 days after arrival. The insurance companies will happily take you money and may even allow minor claims. However the insurance is extremely likely to be declared void if you have any serious problems and that is exactly when you really really need the cover.

Also as I mentioned the valid date of the IDP is not relevant to the length of time it allows you to drive. Many countries specifically restrict use of an IDP for 90 days from arrival
Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thaila ... g-licences
Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you will need an Thai driving licence, even though international drivers licenses are legally accepted. Several insurance companies have a fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered. Besides that: You'll offer the local law enforcement great opportunities by continuing to drive with an international license.
https://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html
So in short. Don’t get involved in an accident and you will very probably be OK.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » January 11, 2022, 6:01 pm

The sources I used are the UK Driving License dept and the Thai Embassy in UK.

The type 149 International Permit as required for Thailand is valid for 1 year.
There is also another type of permit which is valid for 3 years but is not valid for Thailand.

I also stated that once you apply for long term stay you must apply for a Thai License.

If you come on a non O retirement visa issued in UK you have to leave every 90 days so in effect you have now re-entered Thailand.

I also agree if you are here on long term stay the Insurance will be invalid if the Insurance checks everything but not worth taking the chance.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 11, 2022, 9:13 pm

pal52 wrote:
January 11, 2022, 6:01 pm
The sources I used are the UK Driving License dept and the Thai Embassy in UK.

The type 149 International Permit as required for Thailand is valid for 1 year.
There is also another type of permit which is valid for 3 years but is not valid for Thailand.

I also stated that once you apply for long term stay you must apply for a Thai License.

If you come on a non O retirement visa issued in UK you have to leave every 90 days so in effect you have now re-entered Thailand.

I also agree if you are here on long term stay the Insurance will be invalid if the Insurance checks everything but not worth taking the chance.
The only information I can find from the Thai embassy is under and gives no information other than it is needed
28 Aug 2019
If you would like to drive, either vehicle or motorcycle, while visiting Thailand, you are required by law to hold an international driving license. When asked for, you need to show your international driving license along with your passport and national driving license.
https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publi ... 3bd00072e2
And from https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad
Again no information on any restrictions on time in county

So it is likely that the police will allow you to drive BUT after 90 days in Thailand your insurance will be void. It is unclear if the extremely restricted compulsory insurance will function but that is of little use in a major accident.

I can find the valid period for other countries, they limit the period of time that you can use an IDP that is independent of its validity, they specifically exclude resetting the clock for short trips outside the country. I can not find that information for the RTP, just the limit on insurance.

Please note I am trying to find definitive evidence on the time an IDP is valid in Thailand, the only sources I can think of for that are either the Royal Thai Police or the Department of Land Transport, I can not locate anything on either website but cannot search in Thai. I will be pleased if anyone can find that information and give a link to it.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 11, 2022, 9:41 pm

TBH, even if there was a definitive law, this being Thailand and the RTP being the RTP, there's no guarantees that the law will be applied evenly. Most road traffic accidents are fender benders where the insurance agent is guaranteed to appear when summonsed whereas cops tend to be scarcer than hen's teeth, even when called.

If the 90-day insurance expiration is the more likely 'penalty' for not getting a local license, I reckon that should be the overarching guideline.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 12, 2022, 8:03 am

tamada wrote:
January 11, 2022, 9:41 pm

If the 90-day insurance expiration is the more likely 'penalty' for not getting a local license, I reckon that should be the overarching guideline.
That is the main point I am making. That whether or not the police will take any, action driving with no insurance or only the compulsory insurance is an extremely dangerous practice, and few people really understand that they can easily be on the hook for millions, if not tens of millions, of Baht. That if you injure Somchi or his baby or grandma because the turned in front of you then it doesn’t matter that they were on the wrong side of the road not wearing helmets possibly drunk as a skunk at night with no lights you are at fault because you have the bigger vehicle and were there so you have to pay millions.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”