Living in Paradise

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Living in Paradise

Post by parrot » September 1, 2021, 4:39 pm

I was out for my afternoon podcast walk, listening to reports from Louisiana and the effects of Hurricane Ida. No power, no cell phones, no sewage treatment, no drinking water, no food, bad flooding....possibly for more than just a few days.
It's not the first time I've thought about it, but it reminded me of how fortunate we are in (Udon) 'paradise', as some call it, where we don't worry about hurricanes, typhoons, earthquakes, forest fires, ice storms, severe drought, flooding of any consequence. Granted, there have been a few very isolated wind storms and some downtown flooding (although that seems to be in the distant past). But in the 25 years we've been living in the jungle, we've never lost power for more than 23 hours, and that was on one occasion....the rest not enough to worry about losing a refrigerator full of food. My brothers in various states in the developed world have lost power for over 24 hours on multiple occasions....now, they all have generators. During the ice storm in Texas in Feb this year, our daughter lost power for 24 hours, but nearby friends lost water and power for 3-4 days....in one of the biggest cities in the US.
Granted, I wouldn't move to Thailand for that benny, but it is one I don't think many of us consider.
Time to wipe off the orange film on my glasses.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: Living in Paradise

Post by Giggle » September 1, 2021, 6:04 pm

OK, Polly, tell us about how American poor, impoverished folks check their food stamp balance on a $1,000 Iphone.

Did you ever consider these events make the "news" in the US because they are unusual? And that a power outage in paradise is not news because it's not unusual?

Never mind. The film is brown.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » September 1, 2021, 6:44 pm

Brief response, I'm here because of the political BS that has polluted Aus. over the last 20 years. As for weather, IMHO, it is what it is, NOTHING to do with any BS global warming rather than natural forces that NO human is going to control.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 1, 2021, 6:59 pm

Agree you cannot "CONTROL" nature, but giving her a helping hand occasionally doesnt do any harm and sure as hell can have positive results

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 1, 2021, 7:08 pm

I haven't read anywhere about people trying to control the weather, Dero. Can you provide a link?

However, there is plenty of discussion, about trying to mitigate the effects that humans have had on the climate over the past 200 years. And particularly the last 30 or 40 years, when we have seen a dramatic unparalleled upsurge in extreme weather events.

But I guess that you and me, and the entire UM cohort for that matter, won't be around the see the devastating impact it will have on our grand kids, and the generations thereafter.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 1, 2021, 7:15 pm

Depends what you get re incarnated as Jack :lol:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 1, 2021, 7:25 pm

The ways things are heading, a Martian may be the safest bet statts.

Soi 5, Elon Musk Avenue - get in early.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » September 1, 2021, 7:41 pm

Come on People..
Do as Mr. Parrot does... enjoy the scenery..
Drop the BS from Farangland.
Stay positive, Millions of reasons...
Life is good.
Stay safe.
Enjoy a cold one.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 1, 2021, 7:51 pm

Giggle will be along presently to share his view of life in paradise.

Get the popcorn on.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”