UK passport holders ,

General Udon Thani topics only!
Hoopoe
udonmap.com

UK passport holders ,

Post by Hoopoe » August 18, 2021, 6:35 pm

don't think it's anything that concerns us residing in Thailand , (i'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks on renewal of extension ,on what date stamp they put on the extension ,
people are being turned away at airports in the UK ,(reasons , out of date or less than six months left ) as under new brexit rules , issuance date on passports ,is being classed as ten years later being the exact expiry date , eg my passport , issue was Jan 2012 , expiry date July 2022 ,
i've attached here a message i got ,
Potentially, a passport issued on 30 june 2011 could show an expiry date of 30 march 2011 ,
Brexit made that irrelevant , with non EU members passports now expiring after 10 years of issue ,
Bluntly put , ,a passport issued on 30 june 2011 will have a definite expiry date of 30 june 2022 ,regardless of any updated expiry date shown on the passport itself.
If that holder attempts to board a plane to an EU country on 1 july 2021 ,it would have insufficient validity (regardless of the expiry date of 30 march 2022) and the airline would be obliged to turn them away , even though the british passport has eight months to run ,
as i stated very doubtful it affects us here , or basically anyone travelling to a non EU country ,

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: UK passport holders ,

Post by stattointhailand » August 18, 2021, 6:50 pm

Surely that has ALWAYS been the case for passports from countries outside EU

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 19, 2021, 10:46 am

Yes, I’ve always had to have at least 6 months validity on my passport when travelling to non eu countries for as long as I care to remember.
For Thailand, I seem to recall there is even some wording on the London Embassy website saying this is a necessity before sending them your passport for a visa.
With regards to the OP, I have to confess to not understanding the example dates being quoted & how would you get an “updated expiry date”? Surely the expiry date is the expiry date & you get a new passport before it’s reached. You used to be able to apply 9 months before expiry & it was added onto the new passport duration but that changed 3 years ago to the passport only being valid from date of application
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 19, 2021, 3:55 pm

Scratch most of my last post, out of sheer boredom I’ve been reading gov.co.uk passport section.

The new rules are:
Your passport must also be less than 10 years old on the day after you leave.
If you renewed your current passport at least 3 years ago before the previous one expired, extra months will have been added to its expiry date.
Any extra months on your passport over 10 years will not count towards the validity
The government has clearly been taking payment for 10 year passports but not issuing a valid one for that duration if renewed early.
Simplistically, passports are only valid for 10 years from the issue date.
Naughty

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 19, 2021, 8:35 pm

I suppose the good news is that Thai Immigration will issue your 365 (?) day extension to stay based on the expiry date in your passport as opposed to 10 yrs from the issue date, which means on the final one before renewing your passport you might get 8 or 9 months extension for your B1900

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 20, 2021, 2:54 am

Boris's wonderful, all-caring and visionary post Brexit government has foreseen the difficulties and confusion caused by wrenching the UK from the wonderful and secure economies of the EU travel bubble. Accordingly, they have created a website where the dazed and confused can simply plug in their specific destination country as well as the specifics of their passport's issue and expiration dates and get the final and official validity dates.

https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-travel-europe

I recommend that you write this date on a sticky Post-It note and place it in your passport as an aide memoire. Who knows, you may actually be planning to travel somewhere.

You can thank me (and Boris) later.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 20, 2021, 6:17 am

Surprisingly couldnt find Bojo's fav place "The U turn" anywhere.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 21, 2021, 10:53 am

Niggly wrote:
August 19, 2021, 3:55 pm
Scratch most of my last post, out of sheer boredom I’ve been reading gov.co.uk passport section.

The new rules are:
Your passport must also be less than 10 years old on the day after you leave.
If you renewed your current passport at least 3 years ago before the previous one expired, extra months will have been added to its expiry date.
Any extra months on your passport over 10 years will not count towards the validity
The government has clearly been taking payment for 10 year passports but not issuing a valid one for that duration if renewed early.
Simplistically, passports are only valid for 10 years from the issue date.
Naughty
Not naughty at all. You have always been able to apply for a passport at anytime.

Example you fill your passport after 5 years so need a new one. That your existing passport has 5 years validity left is not relevant you can not use it because there is no space for stamps.

A few years ago you would have got a 10 year 9 month replacement, now you only get a 10 year one. Change of rules, yes, naughty, no.

If that doesn’t cover your point then your point is not clearly defined.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 21, 2021, 11:39 am

^ my bad for having a differing opinion to you that it’s naughty a rule change makes some applicants lose out.

If this doesn’t cover your unnecessary reply then your unnecessary reply was not clearly defined

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 21, 2021, 1:00 pm

Its not Naughty or anything else because NO RULES HAVE CHANGED.

The ONLY thing that has changed is that the UK is now treated as a THIRD COUNTRY by the EU and so have to adhere to the rules governing THIRD COUNTRYS instead of the rules governing members of EU. UK citizens chose to change the way its done nobody else

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 21, 2021, 1:05 pm

The renewal RULES HAVE CHANGED (sic)
It’s just they changed in 2018. Nothing to do with the EU or Brexit no matter how much you wish it to be

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 21, 2021, 1:22 pm

And WHY exactly was it changed in 2018 .......... because of friggin' BREXIT

For many years, until September 2018, the UK had a generous policy of allowing credit for “unspent” time when renewing a passport, issuing documents valid for up to 10 years and nine months.

So a passport issued on 30 July 2011 could show an expiry date of 30 April 2022.

This was fine around Europe and the world for decade – until Brexit, whereupon a longstanding rule kicked in. For non-members of the EU, a passport is deemed to have expired after 10 years.

That passport issued on 30 July 2011 will be regarded as expiring on 30 July 2021. If its holder attempted to board a plane to the European Union on 1 August 2021, it would have insufficient validity and the airline would be obliged to turn them away – even though the British passport has almost eight months to run.

Until September 2018 the government appeared unaware of the problem. Once the issue was identified, the practice of giving up to nine months’ grace ended abruptly.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 21, 2021, 1:26 pm

^ don’t be so ridiculous.
Just show some substantiated evidence this rule change is a direct result of Brexit rather than a figment of your own bias.

(While your at it, you could also show me the rule you claim is being broken here when restaurants post their weekly specials)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 21, 2021, 1:38 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
August 21, 2021, 1:22 pm
And WHY exactly was it changed in 2018 .......... because of friggin' BREXIT

For many years, until September 2018, the UK had a generous policy of allowing credit for “unspent” time when renewing a passport, issuing documents valid for up to 10 years and nine months.......
Probably help your own case if you included a link to your source. 8)

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... ments-area

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 21, 2021, 1:55 pm

A link to The Independent’s views on government policy after Brexit should have been posted in the Fake News thread, yes?

BTW I haven’t read the article as I refuse to turn off the adblocker which would result in being bombarded by Liberal/Lefty adverts

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 21, 2021, 1:58 pm

Niggles if perfectly capable of looking up the truth if he actually wanted to Jack, but when it suits not to ???

"until Brexit, whereupon a longstanding rule kicked in."

I'm surprised that Bojo (and Niggles) havent tried to blame it on the pandemic to deflect it from Brexit
still looking for the 100,000 HGV drivers we are short of (must have all been "pinged") :lol:

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 21, 2021, 2:16 pm

Yes, I’m perfectly capable of looking up non Brexit bias & fake news articles. Thank you for your observation 👍

No doubt Jackass is now trawling the interweb for more articles he thinks he can link to with a few emojis so the post seems intelligently witty. I’m giddy with anticipation.

(Don’t forget the Amazon fishes)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 21, 2021, 2:20 pm

Niggly wrote:
August 21, 2021, 1:55 pm
A link to The Independent’s views on government policy after Brexit should have been posted in the Fake News thread, yes?
No.

That thread is about how to spot fake news. But to do so, naturally enough, you need to read the article/news first. 👍
BTW I haven’t read the article as I refuse to turn off the adblocker which would result in being bombarded by Liberal/Lefty adverts
Oh!.....

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 21, 2021, 2:37 pm

Yes, spotting Fake News is easy enough.
Articles don’t have to be read, just looking at the source of the link is usually enough.

So back to the other thread, How to Spot Fake News by Jack Spratt.
Answer, look at the source to start conpleting the puzzle then look at the post author (Jack Spratt) to complete it.

I’m truly privileged that you’ve let me explain this here (random witty emoji)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 21, 2021, 2:40 pm

As opposed to us who turn off the adblocker and read both sides of the arguments and make up our own minds, and just ignore the ads.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”