disconnected it job done
Go to Toyota and tell them the problem
They say nothing wrong
Flat battery 2 more time shortly after
Recharge and all good till this week
Flat battery again
So I take car to battery shop
They say nothing wrong after testing but the car wont start
Jump started it the boss suggest I go down to the street to the auto electric shop suggest it is the alternator
Auto electric does 1 test battery fine 2nd test battery kaput
Replace battery, check alternator all good to go 1800bht
But I did learn if foot on the brake as need for starting the car will not turn off if battery is flat
Also learnt that you should use the proper trades people for the job
Toyota not up to the task of checking batteries

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Car fixed

Post by Khun Paul » May 6, 2021, 8:50 am

No sadly Car franchises or even manufacturers agents do not deal with Tyres/tracking , some electrics dealt with properly but batteries and subsequent faults also not dealt with. sadly most so-called mechanics are fitters as opposed as you say the individual experts in their field . I have found like yourself over the years here individuals businesses that no only can highlight the problem but also fix it .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 6, 2021, 10:54 am

Breaking news... Out of warranty cars are being repaired by third parties. Dealerships not interested.

...more at ten.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 6, 2021, 11:12 am

My mate's 12 year old Chevy had an annoying, repeated flat battery issue. Since Chevy don't exist here any more, he didn't have the option to waste time at their dealership. Took it to the local battery shop who suspected charging issues. Left it with them for a few hours and they replaced some diode bridge thingmie in the original alternator. Maybe 1000 baht?

I had a Honda rental a couple of years back that had push-button start and the battery died when I stopped for a piss. Slow crank and then the usual solenoid clatter but couldn't stop it from trying to start and the never-ending, slowly weakening clacking of the starter solenoid. Had DRL's on as well and they were flickering as they wouldn't turn off. While waiting for the replacement car, I moved away as people were beginning to give the farang and his dying, blinking car strange looks.

In my experience, it's not hard to find someone who can work out what's bad be it battery, alternator or both. The issue is when some other, more obscure electrical event takes place (like noo's discovery of the brake pedal interlock not working on a dead battery) then the local 'technician' is easily defeated by CANBUS electrics and 'body control modules' and other such technology. That's what Google and YouTube is for though.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”