marriage visa udon immigration

General Udon Thani topics only!
harry68
udonmap.com

marriage visa udon immigration

Post by harry68 » January 14, 2021, 5:37 am

Hi all
has anyone done a marriage visa recently in udon
will be doing it myself next week and looking for any tips to make it as painless as possible

Cheers
harry

noosard
udonmap.com

Re: marriage visa udon immigration

Post by noosard » January 14, 2021, 6:00 am

Have all required paper work on hand
A new kor2 no older than 7 days
bank statement of the day
a neighbour that knows you not a relative

Tom & Jee
udonmap.com

Post by Tom & Jee » January 14, 2021, 6:35 am

Don't forget the photos of you and your wife at your home outside and inside. Also your witness to have with her her Id card and family book.

udonfox
udonmap.com

Post by udonfox » January 14, 2021, 8:15 am

Harry 68. Marriage cerificate and copy, id of the wife and copy, your house book, if you have kids, copies of their birth certificate and if you are British, a letter of support from the UK.Embassy. It took them about 15 mins to reply and email the letter. It turned out that this was very significant. I don 't take bank statements but could be agood idea. It's a lot easier if Immigration you know or recognise you.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » January 14, 2021, 8:35 am

udonfox wrote:
January 14, 2021, 8:15 am
Harry 68. Marriage cerificate and copy, id of the wife and copy, your house book, if you have kids, copies of their birth certificate and if you are British, a letter of support from the UK.Embassy. It took them about 15 mins to reply and email the letter. It turned out that this was very significant. I don 't take bank statements but could be agood idea. It's a lot easier if Immigration you know or recognise you.
Wow its all changed again . lucky you told me as i thought i could not get a marriage visa in udon . I had to go to laos for my 90 day marriage visa then i have done 8 visa extensions in row . so what marriage visa can i get in udon as my extension runs out in 6 weeks .
What is a letter of support from british embassy ? Never had one or heard of one ? Is it a new thing and support for what ?I also ,every time have to to the bank on the day get a bank statement showing the money deposited from my ukl bank into my thai bank and put 100 baht into my account then update my bank book to that day .
Once when i had not updated my bank book for a year i updated it on the day but it only updated the last 3 months and they wanted the last 6 months in my bank book so had to go back to the bank for another statement .
Wish they would not keep changing the rules . will have to go to imm soon to check on there new rule .
Thanks

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 14, 2021, 9:07 am

Udonfox
What is a "letter of support" from the UK Embassy? I was under the impression that the UK Embassy no longer issued anything to do with visa or extension of stay applications. First time ever seen this requirement.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » January 14, 2021, 9:34 am

harry68 wrote:
January 14, 2021, 5:37 am
Hi all
will be doing it myself next week and looking for any tips to make it as painless as possible

Cheers
harry
there has been a new one over the last 10 months or so , (gay lords extortion tactics ) your wife's name change document , when you got married ,if you were married before 2008 there's a very good chance you wont have it as they only started to issue the document in 2008 ,,but pre warned is good as when you go to get the updated Kor Tor 2 you can request confirmation of your wife's name change when you got married ,Gay lord has often used this tactic on many to try to get a back hander ,

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 14, 2021, 11:30 am

udonfox wrote:
January 14, 2021, 8:15 am
and if you are British, a letter of support from the UK.Embassy. It took them about 15 mins to reply and email the letter. It turned out that this was very significant.
'Letter of support' Never heard of that one before, unless you mean it's a successor to the no longer acceptable confirmation of income letter. Can you explain what it says, Udonfox? Did Immigration ask you for this? How did you avoid providing bank statements? Did you make a, ahem, 'donation?

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 14, 2021, 12:27 pm

Maybe the letter was for guys on "Amnesty " who were unable to book a flight home.
Not relevant for those who do yearly extensions??
Just a thought...
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » January 14, 2021, 1:31 pm

I find it strange that people cannot understand a few simple thing about visa`s not hard to me .
First there is no marriage or retirement visa .
There is an imm 0a visa and an imm O visa .
I do not know much about the imm oa visa so would never give advice on it but i believe you can get one based on retirement . Can get it in udon , have to have 800.000 baht in the bank for a few months before the visa and have to keep 400,000 baht in the bank permanently.
Secondly there is imm O visa which you can have for various reasons , visiting wife , family , children etc .
You cannot get this visa in Thailand you get it to come to thailand . Usually 90 days or ca n get 1 year multi entry leaving thailand every 90 days .
You can extend the imm O visa for a year which is called a visa extension which i believe the op was posting about . Problem is he asked the wrong question . he cannot get a marriage visa at udon only an extension to his imm O visa.
There are 2 ways of doing ti . 400,000 baht in the bank for 60 days befo0re applying or 40,000 baht a moth proved income . i do not know about monthly income as i never did it . I have done 400, 000 baht in the bank 10 times.
Went to laos for my last imm o 90 days visa in 2014 and have extended it ever since with little problems as with kor ror document . was told i need a koh ror 2 on this forum went all the way tp phen and found out that if married outside thailand you need koh ror 22 and koh ror 2 if married in thailand which i already had.
I may be wrong on something but i am sure there are people on here that will enjoy pointing it out

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 14, 2021, 1:49 pm

Whilst we await clarification on this 'letter of support', I thought I'd post below in that it might be of help to some.

This is my checklist before I visit Immigration, produced partly in the knowledge of being messed about previously and experiencing/hearing of officer quirks. Possibly not every item from list below is required, but providing a comprehensive package avoids the opportunity to ask for something else.

General
Two sets of everything. One set will include originals of the latest produced documents such as the bank letter, bank statement, Kor Lor 2. The second set can comprise photocopies. With colour printers available, ensure you separate originals from copies.
Maybe wise to bring along separately the actual bank book, house book, marriage certificate etc. in case asked for.

Application Form TM7

Passport Photos affixed to above - still apparently necessary, although officers take photo with the desk cam too.

All Passport pages, including the TM6 arrival/departure slip - strictly, may not require every page, but let officer choose what he/she wants.

The standard bank letter and statement going back 1 year- must be dated the same day of Immigration visit.

Bank book - account number page and transactions going back a year. The bank book should be updated same day of Immigration visit, which probably requires making a DEPOSIT. So, if the bank has already prepared a letter and statement, the bank book will show slightly more in credit.

Documentation from income providers, identifying with credits to your account.

If relevant, ALL the divorce paperwork from previous Thai marriage.

Marriage certificate and English translation

2nd part of marriage certificate (Kor Lor 2) - new copy must be obtained at Amphur within a week of Immigration visit.

Change of wife's surname on marriage.

If applicable, child's birth certificate and English translation.

Thai ID cards for wife, child and self(if you have one)

Photos of you, wife, children at front of house, living room and bedroom - the front of house photo should show the house number. Re my opening comment, maybe a bedroom photo might feature cupboards with clothes.

Blue tabian baan (house book) - copy the first page with that for each individual, wife and children

If applicable, yellow house book - copy first page with the one listing you.

Map of house location

Exact money 1900 baht

One witness, who must NOT be a relative - who must bring originals and two photocopies of his/her house book and ID card.

In reserve and I'm back to my leading sentence, Affirmation of Freedom to Marry.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 15, 2021, 12:30 pm

harry68 wrote:
January 14, 2021, 5:37 am
Hi all

Cheers
harry
If you mean an extension of stay for marriage it is different from getting a Non-O visa and has very different rules.

For the Visa you have follow the information under
8CDFFAA8-C81A-4CF5-BB86-067927B202F0.png
F942A85B-4163-4413-8E30-070249C010DA.png
Non O in Thailand marrage.pdf
(138.12 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
If you are applying for an extension of stay then the details are under
056030EB-359F-41AC-91DB-DA1292416C9F.png
42E22DF9-B9EE-4A6D-BCDC-54956A3BAD2A.png
Marrage ext info Udon Thani 2020-1 - repaired.pdf
(410.58 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Marrage ext info Udon Thani 2020-2 - repaired.pdf
(464.58 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Maybe wise to bring along separately the actual bank book, house book, marriage certificate etc. in case asked for.
All are required in most cases and for me were checked against the copies.
The standard bank letter and statement going back 1 year- must be dated the same day of Immigration visit.
The statement only needs to be for the last 2/3 months as it’s a marriage extension, unless extension by income.

If you need a 12 month (13 months is safer) then you will probably have to wait around a week for it to be supplied from the bank HQ. Most banks can only do up to 6 months on the same day.

Bank book - account number page and transactions going back a year
The transactions only needs to be for the last 2/3 months as it’s a marriage extension, unless extension by income.
Documentation from income providers, identifying with credits to your account.
Only required if extension by income.
All Passport pages, including the TM6 arrival/departure slip - strictly, may not require every page, but let officer choose what he/she wants.
You can certainly do that but only ID & non ID pages relating to the the current extension are needed, though that could be quite a few of those.
Change of wife's surname on marriage.
Separate document only available if marriage is after 2008 otherwise it is in the KR2
If applicable, yellow house book - copy first page with the one listing you.
Optional, I have one but did not supply copies or the original.
Thai ID cards for wife, child and self(if you have one)
For the pink ID card it is optional, I have one but did not supply copies or the original.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

nutosf
udonmap.com

Post by nutosf » January 15, 2021, 1:55 pm

I just completed the process last month. You will probably be able to get a 60-day extension after your visa expires, but get it before it expires. Use the time to gather all of the documents listed above. You need to have 400k in a Thai savings account for at least 2 months or 12 months of deposits of at least 40k. I found the immigration officers helpful but will demand all documents. After they accept your package, it will be sent to Khon Khan for final approval. You can also expect a home inspection. At the home inspection, you will need to provide a different witness to vouch for your character.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 15, 2021, 2:12 pm

sometimewoodworker's clarification is welcome.

My post was intended to show what I felt necessary for an extension of stay based on marriage, using the income method. As suggested and from experience, I try to bring everything including the kitchen sink - just in case.

I haven't studied the latest Immigration instructions, but certainly at one time, they weren't entirely clear and the English was poor. As it happens, I do also maintain a permanent balance of 400,000 baht for two reasons - 1) A lump sum, in case Immigration finds something amiss with my income details and 2) a safeguard for any Immigration 'initiative' which might surface IN FUTURE e.g. for medical emergencies.

Just to say, my local bank is helpful in producing a yearly statement(entirely locally, as far as I'm aware). But that might have something to do with the special letters/documentation I negotiated with a very helpful guy at the bank headquarters. In short, this lists all my income and confirms it all originates in the UK., although some passes through another Bangkok bank. To be honest, I'm not certain if Immigration questions are still raised on the origin of income, or whether that's all died down.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 15, 2021, 5:07 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
January 15, 2021, 2:12 pm
sometimewoodworker's clarification is welcome.

My post was intended to show what I felt necessary for an extension of stay based on marriage, using the income method. As suggested and from experience, I try to bring everything including the kitchen sink - just in case.
No problems Brian.

Bringing extra copies with you is not a bad idea.

Supplying immigration more documents than the actual requirement is not such a great plan, it just gives them an opportunity to locate extra problems.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 15, 2021, 6:08 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
January 15, 2021, 5:07 pm
Supplying immigration more documents than the actual requirement is not such a great plan, it just gives them an opportunity to locate extra problems.
Yes, let not you and I come to blows :lol: when we're both trying to help. My provision of extra paperwork from the bank's head office(viewed by their legal department etc.) was to give Immigration something they'd find difficult to argue with!
My point of view is that if the criteria of needs is absolutely clear, not open to interpretation AND the Immigration officer sticks to it, great. There really shouldn't be a problem in processing.
Also,isn't there a sentence somewhere that amounts to something like the Officer's decision is final and he/she can ask for whatever?

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 15, 2021, 6:49 pm

This is on the guidance leaflet:-

"The Immigration Office reserves the right to ask for any other documentation not included in the present list".
Bit like confirming your team's new player IS a striker, but we can't actually promise he'll score goals! :lol:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 15, 2021, 9:00 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
January 15, 2021, 6:08 pm

Yes, let not you and I come to blows :lol: when we're both trying to help.

Also,isn't there a sentence somewhere that amounts to something like the Officer's decision is final and he/she can ask for whatever?
Point 1 I agree

The asking for more documents would be why you may like to bring copies of other things with you that you can supply if requested.

The Officers decision being final is an error, if you disagree and your disagreement is correct you can go up the chain of command to politely challenge the decision, of course if you are wrong then an agent and brown envelope can often change that.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » January 15, 2021, 11:37 pm

Not sure why it's a hot topic been here 18 years never had an issue never had to pay tea money maybe I'm just lucky 😂

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 16, 2021, 6:42 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
January 15, 2021, 9:00 pm
The Officers decision being final is an error, if you disagree and your disagreement is correct you can go up the chain of command to politely challenge the decision, of course if you are wrong then an agent and brown envelope can often change that.
Easier said than done to keep it polite. I had this situation several years back over 500 baht being demanded for the simple task to move details from old to new passport. I told them exactly what I thought about officers expecting respect whilst at the same time filling their pockets. I can't imagine having a calm, sensible conversation with the rusharound, youngish guy who appears to run the office, unless there's something in it for him! Whilst not exactly happy that it can be possible(but TIT) I do appreciate that if an applicant can't meet the official rules, has his paperwork in a mess, a technicality etc. and it's a choice of e.g. remaining with his family or having to leave, then an "agent and brown envelope" might be the only option to have things bent.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”