catapult ( slingshot )

General Udon Thani topics only!
timmy
udonmap.com

catapult ( slingshot )

Post by timmy » January 9, 2021, 1:43 pm

does anybody know where in Udon you can buy the wooden catapults , the Americans call slingshots , you used to see then in many " mom/pop " shops for only a few baht , when you want 1 cant find any for the life of me , cheers .

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: catapult ( slingshot )

Post by tamada » January 9, 2021, 9:54 pm

Mrs tam knows how to make them but after the boys losing them for ages and then suddenly wanting another, we ended up just buying non-wooden ones on lazada plus a big bag of replacement elastic bands. They don't seem to get misplaced as easy as the 'natural' ones.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 9, 2021, 11:25 pm

Phosri Rd, across the street from the Kasisorn bank, a few doors down toward the fountain circle. You'll see lots of rope products in front. It's called หนังสติ๊ก

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » January 10, 2021, 6:52 am

tamada wrote:
January 9, 2021, 9:54 pm
Mrs tam knows how to make them but after the boys losing them for ages and then suddenly wanting another, we ended up just buying non-wooden ones on lazada plus a big bag of replacement elastic bands. They don't seem to get misplaced as easy as the 'natural' ones.
i only want to scare the pigeons from outside the house the bastards even come in the door if left open , bearing in mind we have 6 cats , the pigeons have NO fear , dont want to kill them . just get rid ..

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Post by chopperjoey » January 10, 2021, 7:05 am

timmy wrote:
January 10, 2021, 6:52 am
tamada wrote:
January 9, 2021, 9:54 pm
i only want to scare the pigeons from outside the house the bastards even come in the door if left open , bearing in mind we have 6 cats , the pigeons have NO fear , dont want to kill them . just get rid ..
good to hear you dont want to kill them. no need to kill any animal for a little nuisance that can be solved otherwise.
when i have to scare away an animal (like a cat coming to close when there are bird chicks around the house) i use a watergun or big pressure watersprayer. maybe hosing the birds away might work in your case? i think pigeons will be too non responsive whith pellets that dont hit them, so unless you hit them and potentially injuring them (and having to deal with an injured bird in yr yard) it might not work that well.

in Nong Prajak they fly a kite in the shape of a buzzard to scare away the pigeons. the little buggars dont care at all and eat their bread right under the kite , so pls dont try a kite. ;-)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 10, 2021, 8:20 am

I had a plague of pigeons in the car port and front yard of my Pattaya rental. This despite the lady next door being the local cat lady. The attraction was the two dog dishes put out for our two small dogs. After investing in an airsoft and bringing back some sticky gel from the U.S. that's you squirt on their roosting places, the final, least effort solution was the easiest. Take in or otherwise hide the dog dishes between feeds and sweep up any spillage. There's maybe a food source that's bringing them to your yard.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » January 10, 2021, 9:20 am

How to use it? I tried many times.
Cant get the hang of it! Stones fly of left and right! Never straight!
I give up :-k

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 10, 2021, 10:09 am

Like almost everything it's just practice then one day the "penny will drop", it's perfecting from there on.
I guess most Australian boys of the pre and "baby boomer" era grew up with them, I know I did. Remember the walloping I received after cutting the tong out of one of the olde mans shoes to make a cradle! 55555
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » January 10, 2021, 10:35 am

Rufus Hussy. The Sling Shot Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » January 10, 2021, 11:24 am

parrot wrote:
January 9, 2021, 11:25 pm
Phosri Rd, across the street from the Kasisorn bank, a few doors down toward the fountain circle. You'll see lots of rope products in front. It's called หนังสติ๊ก
hi parrot , just called at the shop you said across from the bank , sorry no sell , they tell me , but thanks anyway ..

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » January 10, 2021, 11:29 am

choi choi wrote:
January 10, 2021, 9:20 am
How to use it? I tried many times.
Cant get the hang of it! Stones fly of left and right! Never straight!
I give up :-k
use no problem , had many a catapult when i was a kid , we all used to make our own no money to buy in
them days ..

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 10, 2021, 1:28 pm

P L M

Pigeons Lives Matter

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » January 11, 2021, 9:49 am

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 11, 2021, 11:19 am

I bought a very good one off AliExpress and then bought a number of flat bands for spares. The bands oxidize so I keep them in the refrigerator. They last a long time like that. I used it to sting chicken killing dogs. The one dog killed the neighbor's chickens and that dog has disappeared. The neighbor didn't care if the dog was killing our chickens and ducks. When his were killed the dog soon disappeared. After that dog killed my wife's 5 prized Rhode Island reds, she offered the neighbor 500 baht to kill the dog. They told her it was a nice dog.

The dogs are pretty smart. I don't even have to shoot at them. When they hear the snap from the slingshot, they jump up in the air and land on their feet running as fast as they can. I suspect pigeons would also act that way if the shots came close a couple times.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 11, 2021, 11:52 am

^ I far preferred the airsoft (BB gun) during the pigeons brief flirtation with out dog dishes. It's a Glock clone and has a 14-shot magazine. Single bird, single shot and one gets one's sighting eye in real fast. The best though was when there was three of four squatting together on the peak of the neighbors roof. Then I would go full auto. Sounds like a baby A-10.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » January 11, 2021, 1:07 pm

tamada wrote:
January 11, 2021, 11:52 am
^ I far preferred the airsoft (BB gun) during the pigeons brief flirtation with out dog dishes. It's a Glock clone and has a 14-shot magazine. Single bird, single shot and one gets one's sighting eye in real fast. The best though was when there was three of four squatting together on the peak of the neighbors roof. Then I would go full auto. Sounds like a baby A-10.
can you legally buy a BB gun over here and if " yes " where would you get it from in Udon ?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 11, 2021, 1:11 pm

timmy if you dont get a catapult lemme know and i will pick you up in Khu Muang town daily market i see loads of them hung up in the mom n pop hardware shops there .. cost about 20 bob,, a pound

BTW you could take a pigeons eye out with a BB gun .. not nice .

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 11, 2021, 1:20 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 11, 2021, 1:11 pm
timmy if you dont get a catapult lemme know and i will pick you up in Khu Muang town daily market i see loads of them hung up in the mom n pop hardware shops there .. cost about 20 bob,, a pound

DM
If you're perfect (like me), you can take out the eyes of 3 or 4 of the buggers on auto.

Flying vermin... not nice. We poison and drown rats too.

PS: Can you grab me a couple of sling shots? I'll square away with you at Connor's or...

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 11, 2021, 1:23 pm

nay probs wee Tarm i will get em next time in in the town .

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Post by chopperjoey » January 14, 2021, 7:28 pm

tamada wrote:
January 11, 2021, 1:20 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 11, 2021, 1:11 pm

DM
If you're perfect (like me), you can take out the eyes of 3 or 4 of the buggers on auto.

Flying vermin... not nice. We poison and drown rats too.

PS: Can you grab me a couple of sling shots? I'll square away with you at Connor's or...
no, they are not "vermin" they are just birds and wild mamals looking for something to eat. drowning rats? sorry, thats really despicable. its a slow and terrifying way to dy and so unnecesary.
you should take care of your problems in a better way, clean yr mess, permanently disable places where pigeons sit, close holes so rats cant enter yr houseetc, and if you are unable or unwilling to do that at least kill them as humane as possible with a mouse trap, or a live trap and let them free somewhere else.
I know you can do it, just give it a try.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”