Snake in the attic

General Udon Thani topics only!
the-monk
udonmap.com

Snake in the attic

Post by the-monk » December 30, 2020, 10:42 am

This morning while watering the plants I found a 20-30 cm long snake skin hanging from the fascia board of the front carport, it must have jumped from the mango tree.This is an old Thai style house. Assuming that it is still in the attic, what can be done ? Is here any kind of smoke bomb or spray to scare it off ? Any other solution? A pro snake catcher ?Thanks all.Happy Safe New Year.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Snake in the attic

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 30, 2020, 11:02 am

The same authority / department that runs the ambulances have a snake team .. weve had them out a few times as get quite a few varying in size slipperys coming in from the waste land around the area and each time its been an ambulance vehicle and crew.

Dao is not here at the mo she has a number for them , they are pretty quick to repond , i will try to get it when she gets back.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 30, 2020, 11:05 am

I'd leave it alone and not worry about it. If the snake's food supply runs out, it will leave on its own.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » December 30, 2020, 11:39 am

Snakes if hungry will go looking for food (what kid is not necessarily rats/mice) for sure and if it is in the house they will find it
Grissly storey but have a read of 2 boys that were killed by snakes as they slept

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_New_ ... hon_attack
Tale DMs advice make the call

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » December 30, 2020, 12:17 pm

If you're a member of fakebook then join a group called 'Snakes of Issan", good information. If you didn't see the skin you would not have known about a sake in your attic which is more than likely long gone, don't worry about it, all snakes are best left alone, most bites occur when tying to capture or kill.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 30, 2020, 1:49 pm

Update

Dao just told me in the past she has called 191 (which is the police station) , they with connect to the department to send the nearest snake guys to your location.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » December 30, 2020, 2:42 pm

Sawangmetha Foundation
042 245 463
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rescuemetha28?ref=profile

called their service already 3 times.
always very speedy.
no cost > just give a donation

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » December 30, 2020, 2:46 pm

It will be most likely a harmless Golden Tree Snake, just leave it alone, it will be long gone, food for thought is it going to knock on the door to get in? How the hell can it get inside a house if in the ceiling, those rescue guys will get in your ceiling space and break something, Europeans and Pomm's have no idea about snakes.

udonfox
udonmap.com

Post by udonfox » December 30, 2020, 3:20 pm

Leave it alone and it will move on. Maybe for you should identify the species. Snakes will avoid humans, only when endagered will they bite. I live in Barnnong toom. Some experience with snakes out here in the jungle

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » January 3, 2021, 3:24 pm

Mrs N spotted a green snake about 30cm long in a tree across the lawn. By the time she got there (don’t really know what she intended to do) it had slithered out of reach. She returned to the house insisting I buy a snake grabber thing from Lazada which is something I never expected to be on my on line shopping list. It arrived yesterday, made of stainless steel, 1.2m long & seems quite sturdy.
Haven’t been able to test it yet as the snake obviously didn’t fancy hanging around for the week while it was delivered from China 😂
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 3, 2021, 6:01 pm

snake catcher 1.2m ? beware.. i have made my own snake catcher with blue water pipe 3/4 ,2.20m long , always keep in mind a snake has a jump/bite reach half the size of her body length, i would advice beware with your short catcher and wear protection goggles in case you meet a spitting cobra ...as info ;)
https://www.en.siam-info.de/venomous_an ... tcher.html

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » January 3, 2021, 6:39 pm

^ I can pretty much guarantee if a snake 2.4m or longer is coming at Niggly he wont be trying to catch it, so I think he is safe for now. If he sees another 30cm tiddler then he might give the snake grabber a go.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » January 3, 2021, 7:14 pm

I’ll be sure to warn Mrs N about a snakes capabilities if she ever gets round to using our shiny new grabber thing other than to pick up litter without bending down.
I’m pretty sure the tempered glass of our windows I’ll be standing behind will provide adequate substitute protection for goggles 👍

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » January 3, 2021, 9:57 pm

Niggly wrote:
January 3, 2021, 3:24 pm
Mrs N spotted a green snake about 30cm long in a tree across the lawn. By the time she got there (don’t really know what she intended to do) it had slithered out of reach. She returned to the house insisting I buy a snake grabber thing from Lazada which is something I never expected to be on my on line shopping list. It arrived yesterday, made of stainless steel, 1.2m long & seems quite sturdy.
Haven’t been able to test it yet as the snake obviously didn’t fancy hanging around for the week while it was delivered from China 😂
Usually less than one meter. I have changed mine to be 1.2 meter long. Means that 2.4 meter long snake might be possible to catch. In TV we can see how professionals catch a snake just behind neck, but it need some practicing. I use hook to stop snake and then catch with tongs. I do also have PVC pipe and rope combination -too slow to use.

My wife has learned to use tongs, but I have not told that too small snake is not possible to catch with those. Just let her to pick papaya with those.

The longer your tongs is, more difficult it is to use those. Same time longer tongs means that snake is not so scary and leaves some possibilities to catch.

To Niggly: Please try to test tongs before real situation. Try to catch anything, like tukkee etc. Or let your wife to play with water pipe. In real situation I still miss few snakes. It is not so easy to catch a snake.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 4, 2021, 7:24 am

Plus I fear if you are not adep-t and an expert ASND it is a SNAKE which could be venomous then the remote possibility of a bite is raised.
So the old guidance , if not attacking you leave well alone, most will go when they realise your around. .

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 4, 2021, 9:04 am

Sometime back my wife and I were walking on the road back to our house. We saw a snake well over a meter long. I have no idea what kind it was. My wife grabbed me and told me not to look at the snake because neighbors may also see it and kill it. They did see it and did kill it. For some reason Thai people kill every snake they see. The vast majority of snakes are not at all aggressive and just try avoid people. Live and let live.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » January 4, 2021, 9:59 am

kopkei wrote:
January 3, 2021, 6:01 pm
snake catcher 1.2m ? beware.. i have made my own snake catcher with blue water pipe 3/4 ,2.20m long , always keep in mind a snake has a jump/bite reach half the size of her body length, i would advice beware with your short catcher and wear protection goggles in case you meet a spitting cobra ...as info ;)
https://www.en.siam-info.de/venomous_an ... tcher.html
Those type of snake catchers cause permanent injurie to snakes and should be avoided at all times, just leave them alone.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 4, 2021, 10:41 am

Those type of snake catchers cause permanent injurie to snakes and should be avoided at all times, just leave them alone...
all depending what rope is used... ;)

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » January 4, 2021, 11:07 am

kopkei wrote:
January 4, 2021, 10:41 am
Those type of snake catchers cause permanent injurie to snakes and should be avoided at all times, just leave them alone...
all depending what rope is used... ;)
Totally incorrect, they cause injurie and should be avoided, please don't try and suggest an item that is not good.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » January 4, 2021, 11:20 am

Anyone know why a snake slithering across the road in front of the car is “good luck” but one slithering across the path in the garden is nasty & must be dealt with?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”