Transport bricks from Chiang Mai

General Udon Thani topics only!
Hamma
udonmap.com

Transport bricks from Chiang Mai

Post by Hamma » December 8, 2020, 7:46 pm

I want to buy some handmade bricks in Chiang Mai. It's about 3000 pieces, too little for a truck and too expensive for those only. Does anyone know a company who can transport them (two pallets) as part of something else? Transporting them alone would be 8000 B, overkill...

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Transport bricks from Chiang Mai

Post by tamada » December 8, 2020, 7:59 pm

What's the weight of that lot, per pallet?

Hamma
udonmap.com

Post by Hamma » December 8, 2020, 8:14 pm

about 3000 kg

Hamma
udonmap.com

Post by Hamma » December 8, 2020, 8:15 pm

about 3000 kg for two pallets

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 9, 2020, 5:40 am

Is there something special about these bricks..?

Most bricks made in Thailand can be had at almost any local brick,sand,cement dealer.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 9, 2020, 6:16 am

^ This is a logistics question, not a design, taste or aesthetics question.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 9, 2020, 7:04 am

What is the overall weight ? probably minimum a 6 wheel truck needed which cuts out a self drive collection... and its a dam long way on up hill n down dale single lane roads in many places... not a fun drive unless on a big bike tour or leisurely holiday trip.

Contact a few local hauling companies to see if they have regular deliveries / pick ups in CM

additionally enquire about load insurance , if the bricks land here damaged cracked due to transporting ... they should be packed tight / wrapped , will take photos at the CM end so no come back on them.

*** @ Hamma ..... IMO 8000 bt is not a bad price from CM to Ud for 2 pallets.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 9, 2020, 7:23 am

he route many use as I understand it is via from CM to Phitasanlouk , to Chum Phae and then left to Udon, good roads all the way and way quicker , but time is the problem, an overnight stay required . Problem is as you stated the cost . Various transp[ort companies ion and around Udon, but I would if at all possible source similar hand made in the local vicinity personally unless these hand-made bricks are so special . You could of course otherwise HIRE a local six/eight wheeler and driver and go and collect them yourself.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 9, 2020, 8:43 am

this is a transport company from udon ,
IMG_20201209_081828[1].jpg
now the card only mention bkk-kk-udon , maybe give them a call or stop by , they maybe also have the chiangmai-bbk connection or can give info how to do ? as info ... ;)

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 9, 2020, 9:27 am

There is a freight & cargo office in Chiangmai train station which can allegedly arrange the movement of pallets.
The drawback is there doesn’t appear to be a direct route for freight to Udon & it goes via Bangkok. I don’t know whether it can be booked as one journey or has to be booked Chiangmai- BKK then BKK- Udon separately.
You don’t have to travel with your cargo
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 9, 2020, 9:46 am

I guess it depends on priorities. I paid 7K Baht to have a crate weighing about 65 kg containing a grandfather clock bought up from Lamchabang on a pickup. That being in mind I don't think 8K Baht is too bad for 3 Tonnes over a similar distance.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 9, 2020, 9:57 am

I agree Dero .. 8k for that sort of movement CM to UD is a good price .. whats more if that is the delivery charge via the brick suppliers own transport it makes the items carried their responsibility to be delivered in a undamaged state.

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Hamma
udonmap.com

Post by Hamma » December 9, 2020, 8:56 pm

Thanks for your replies. I will contact some transport companies, and if necessary drive the way myself. I think 8K is too much for bricks costing the same or less, but no one in Udon or around has them.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 9, 2020, 9:31 pm

Hamma wrote:
December 9, 2020, 8:56 pm
Thanks for your replies. I will contact some transport companies, and if necessary drive the way myself. I think 8K is too much for bricks costing the same or less, but no one in Udon or around has them.
Sometimes I see a perfectly simple request for help on this site get attacked from all and sundry, a sad reflection about the attitude of some, but in this case ????

Isn't the value of the delivery the salient issue. the purchase price is irrelevant? If the bricks were made in outer Mongolia, should the carter deliver them for a lesser price than the actual cost to ship the bricks.

Perhaps frieght by air from Greenland be readjusted by the value of the cargo?

600+ kms for a truck, a 1200 km round trip, fuel maybe more than 2500 alone, plus two days for the driver for a round trip, overnight hotel + food etc. A few hours loading and unloading, 8000 does not sound unreasonable. Maybe hire a 6 tonner yourself and enjoy the trip, loading and unloading without a Hiab will be a bitch, but might be a cheap alternative, I reckon you will not have much change out of 6000 bhat.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » December 9, 2020, 9:58 pm

From Chang Mai to Udon return as the truck has to go back would consume approximately 4500 baht (minimum) of fuel. The round trip would take about a full 24 hours using a 6 wheeler. Driver pay and meals and I am guessing 1500 baht.

I am surprised 8000 baht was quoted

Good Luck

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 9, 2020, 10:23 pm

Hamma wrote:
December 9, 2020, 8:56 pm
With that weight, it's more than a pickup can handle and you won't be legal of you self-drive a 3 or 4-ton, 6-wheel truck like a Toyota Dyna. I doubt that anyone would rent you one without a driver anyway.

If you know someone with a pickup and a trailer you can borrow, now that's self-driveable.

Hamma
udonmap.com

Post by Hamma » December 12, 2020, 9:09 am

I am perfectly aware of fuelcosts and days/hotel for a driver. I did not want to discuss that, but the price for a delivery by a small truck seems to high compared to the price of the goods. What I was looking for was a bigger truck which can take the two pallats as part of a bigger cargo. That must reducere the fixed costs.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 12, 2020, 9:14 am

Laudable aims and I entirely agree, sadly though even discussing this with some Thai business people it reminds me of the Uk decades ago, if you wamnted anything it had to be by London, here it seems to be the same via Bangkok, no t many ( if any ) conduct Business Udon to Chaingmai/Rai and back, you could try Korat transport companies though, then once in Korat only a short trip twice in a truck to pick up yourself, just an idea floated during my talks .

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 12, 2020, 9:42 am

Backhaul also usually reduces costs.
Maybe look for a haulier in Udon who has a shipment to Chiangmai Mai & would otherwise have to return empty.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 12, 2020, 11:28 am

Hamma wrote:
December 12, 2020, 9:09 am
I am perfectly aware of fuelcosts and days/hotel for a driver. I did not want to discuss that, but the price for a delivery by a small truck seems to high compared to the price of the goods. What I was looking for was a bigger truck which can take the two pallats as part of a bigger cargo. That must reducere the fixed costs.
Break bulk carriers must exist here in Thailand. You see plenty sip-lohrs dropping off stuff at various stores and markets. However, I only recall seeing packaged goods, cartons and crates so maybe palletized bricks would be less likely? I would ask at a smaller builders supply shop to see who drop-ships their stuff? But the big problem is still the route as there isn't a sizeable east-west supply line north of the Watford Gap... sorry Korat.

I'm kicking myself for having sold my trailer BTW. That would have been an easy 8000 baht express delivery via Phitsanulok.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”