120 kph?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: 120 kph?

Post by Niggly » March 1, 2021, 6:14 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
February 28, 2021, 5:31 pm
Accelerator control is definitely NOT taught here, neither is changing down to turn, therefore the vehicle splutters along in 4 th gear or maybe 5th until speed picks up
When was the last time you had a driving lesson here KP?
Personally I haven’t had lessons here but can speak for Mrs N who had lessons 5 years ago & was definitely taught accelerator control & how to change smoothly up the box on an off road area to start with then in traffic when she’d got the hang.
You’re right in she wasn’t taught to change down the gears in turn when coming to a stop though. They showed her to brake smoothly then dip the clutch when stopping & select first when fully stopped. This is exactly the same method as The Boy was taught in the UK 2 years ago. (Come to think of it, the same as when I was taught too)
Perhaps it’s the right thing to do with modern cars? A bit like they don’t show you a man carrying a red flag & how to use a starting handle, eh?
However, it’s probably all a bit academic in your claims that vehicles splutter along gathering speed because lots are autos nowadays anyway.

Still waiting

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 1, 2021, 7:20 pm

Nice to see the "minimum speed limit" being brought in for the "overtaking lane". As it is over the max allowed for buses/trucks it will force them to use the correct lanes at last

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 1, 2021, 8:05 pm

Niggly wrote:
March 1, 2021, 6:14 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
February 28, 2021, 5:31 pm
Accelerator control is definitely NOT taught here, neither is changing down to turn, therefore the vehicle splutters along in 4 th gear or maybe 5th until speed picks up
KP doesn't need personal experience to quote his wisdom - he can always consult one of his very highly placed friends if required.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 1, 2021, 9:58 pm

Who can sit next to their missus and allow her to do 120 down the highway?
Without knowing how to shift down.

My little lead foot girl has now been taught to use the sport shift on the automatic to move down gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 1, 2021, 10:07 pm

I can't say too much as I taught Mrs Statts to drive .......... my idea? I can drink & she can drive home \:D/
Her idea ...... we both drink and get a taxi home :roll:

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 1, 2021, 10:08 pm

Actually Mrs N hasn’t driven since the day she passed her test 😳

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 2, 2021, 7:02 am

Not surprised , judging by comments about driving lessons. Changing down ( aka Roadcraft Manual ) taught to Traffic Police Officers, enables you to maintain control of the vehicle when turning or overtaking , including when coming to crowded area, so the gears are also an addition to stomping on the brakes which many seem to do here ( part of the problem with large lorries as they suffer bake fade ).
Learning to drive to pass a test here is a joke always has been and not getting any better, having folloowed many a so-called driver being taught by Smart Car, as they use my road as a learning road, indication and changing down if taught, does not seem to stay in the learners mind .
Nice to see changes regarding overtaking but will take that info with a large pinch of salt as deep down we all know it will NOT be adhered to, especially when you have drivers who wish to use a U& Turn , which is not meant for them ( near me a Y turn designated for only one carriageway to use, with road marking and a cut out to allow it, but the traffic to Udon has NO road markings and no road cut out still use it ILLEGALLY causing havoc in the fast lanje as you come across a vehicle sticking out into the carriageway waiting to execute a U Turn. more than one accident there including a POLICE vehicle, so any rules regarding an overtaking lane or speed limits WILL be ignored .

Finally experience may NOT be required but6 lessons learnt from expert Instructors from basic driving to High Speed driving are well learnt and used to this day. Many folks never learn after passing their test, only by usage , they may improve correctly or incorrectly. ON two occasions when undergoing Driving ability upgrade, (Traffic Training ), we all thought we knew how to drive. How wrong we were, learnt very quickly that the average driver has NO clue how to drive carefully or sensibly at speed or just pottering .That was in the UK where driving tests are considerably harder, here with the Test as a joke almost ZERO knowledge is required ,hence the HIGH accident rate .

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 2, 2021, 10:19 am

you still didn’t answer the question so here it is again........

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 2, 2021, 10:31 am

Niggly wrote:
March 2, 2021, 10:19 am
In truth never took a test here, watched and was invited to offer my comments on people testing by the Manager of the Testing Centre in Nong Sung , ( they all failed in my book ) . My comments were noted and was also told that they NEVER test drivers on the road here. Too dangerous .
Plus I do not need a driving lesson, I follow the law 99% of the time and NEVER exceed my capabilities nor that of my vehicle.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 2, 2021, 6:26 pm

From what I've seen over the years, if you can catch the keys when they are thrown to you, you're ready for the ring road :-"
Not sure if its any particular company (or several), but there have been umpteen times (usually Big C area of ring road), when I have said that they are doing themselves no favours by advertising the companies name all over the car for everyone to see that they have allowed a trainee on the main road well before they are ready [-X
There are enough lanes/roads/streets in Udon and surrounding area that a "trainee" should not need to be on the ring road until they are virtually ready to pass their test

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 2, 2021, 7:07 pm

Have you had any problems with these learner drivers? I haven't.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 2, 2021, 7:24 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 2, 2021, 7:02 am
Not surprised , judging by comments about driving lessons. Changing down ( aka Roadcraft Manual ) taught to Traffic Police Officers, enables you to maintain control of the vehicle when turning or overtaking , including when coming to crowded area, so the gears are also an addition to stomping on the brakes which many seem to do here ( part of the problem with large lorries as they suffer bake fade ).
Learning to drive to pass a test here is a joke always has been and not getting any better, having folloowed many a so-called driver being taught by Smart Car, as they use my road as a learning road, indication and changing down if taught, does not seem to stay in the learners mind .
Nice to see changes regarding overtaking but will take that info with a large pinch of salt as deep down we all know it will NOT be adhered to, especially when you have drivers who wish to use a U& Turn , which is not meant for them ( near me a Y turn designated for only one carriageway to use, with road marking and a cut out to allow it, but the traffic to Udon has NO road markings and no road cut out still use it ILLEGALLY causing havoc in the fast lanje as you come across a vehicle sticking out into the carriageway waiting to execute a U Turn. more than one accident there including a POLICE vehicle, so any rules regarding an overtaking lane or speed limits WILL be ignored .

Finally experience may NOT be required but6 lessons learnt from expert Instructors from basic driving to High Speed driving are well learnt and used to this day. Many folks never learn after passing their test, only by usage , they may improve correctly or incorrectly. ON two occasions when undergoing Driving ability upgrade, (Traffic Training ), we all thought we knew how to drive. How wrong we were, learnt very quickly that the average driver has NO clue how to drive carefully or sensibly at speed or just pottering .That was in the UK where driving tests are considerably harder, here with the Test as a joke almost ZERO knowledge is required ,hence the HIGH accident rate .
Most drivers here are driving automatics so the gear-down advice is superfluous. Their only option is brake stomping.

This morning at the Global traffic lights, a Highway Police car used the right side of the left turn filter lane to stick his nose where he hoped a gap would appear between me and the car in front. Never seen any Smart Drive's learners try that BTW. I was tempted to give him a bit of my 123dB airhorns but he must have seen me looking and he turned on his indicator so it was all good.

Ranting about how scheiß the drivers are here serves absolutely no purpose or not one jot as you would say.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 2, 2021, 7:49 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 2, 2021, 10:31 am
Niggly wrote:
In truth never took a test here, watched and was invited to offer my comments on people testing by the Manager of the Testing Centre in Nong Sung , ( they all failed in my book ) . My comments were noted and was also told that they NEVER test drivers on the road here. Too dangerous .
Plus I do not need a driving lesson, I follow the law 99% of the time and NEVER exceed my capabilities nor that of my vehicle.
You were invited to offer comments at the testing centre in Non Sung? Of course you were. I certainly don’t believe that statement & you’ll probably come out with more rubbish if I ask if you can prove it like you’re unable to prove or justify any of your other outlandish claims.
(I’ll hedge my bets on he’ll just say he doesn’t have to prove it. What think you readers?)
For what it’s worth, Mrs N’s test was on real roads in the city, the ring road & she even went quite a way up HWY22 & had to perform a u turn to return.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 2, 2021, 8:11 pm

Mrs Statts took her test on a closed circuit where she was asked to drive round a circle, stop the car, reverse about 5 metres and then drive forward for the rest of the circuit. Start to finish less than a couple of minutes, and I stood there wondering why i'd spent hours showing her how to drive, firstly in her little village and then gradually on roads containing other traffic, she could have passed on day one

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 2, 2021, 8:22 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
March 2, 2021, 8:11 pm
Mrs Statts took her test on a closed circuit where she was asked to drive round a circle, stop the car, reverse about 5 metres and then drive forward for the rest of the circuit. Start to finish less than a couple of minutes, and I stood there wondering why i'd spent hours showing her how to drive, firstly in her little village and then gradually on roads containing other traffic, she could have passed on day one
What year?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 2, 2021, 8:27 pm

She took the test in the Fortuner (only available from 2005) so about 2006/07 ish id guess

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 2, 2021, 8:38 pm

Mrs N’s 5 year license expired in 2019 so she must have taken her test in 2014. She definitely took it on the road

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 3, 2021, 7:09 am

Niggly wrote:
March 2, 2021, 7:49 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
Niggly wrote:
You were invited to offer comments at the testing centre in Non Sung? Of course you were. I certainly don’t believe that statement & you’ll probably come out with more rubbish if I ask if you can prove it like you’re unable to prove or justify any of your other outlandish claims.
(I’ll hedge my bets on he’ll just say he doesn’t have to prove it. What think you readers?)
For what it’s worth, Mrs N’s test was on real roads in the city, the ring road & she even went quite a way up HWY22 & had to perform a u turn to return.
My comments were made about a TV interview I did with my fellow Thai announcer for Home Cable TV company, in which we were looking at Driving tests etec. If they NOW test on the roads, good, however at that time it was only done on a closed circuit at the testing station.

As all the READERS of Udon Map would love to see that , I can prove my statement but as usual you cannot , there will be a digital record held by Home Cable and my friend still may have a copy disc. But I doi not see the need to prove my statement who falsely accuses me of lying. You prove I am or keep your defamatory comments to yourself.

Or we could go to court , do you have deep pockets ?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 3, 2021, 7:14 am

Niggly wrote:
March 2, 2021, 8:38 pm
Mrs N’s 5 year license expired in 2019 so she must have taken her test in 2014. She definitely took it on the road
You were there of course to prove that statement !

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 3, 2021, 10:58 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 3, 2021, 7:09 am
Niggly wrote:
March 2, 2021, 7:49 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
Niggly wrote:
My comments were made about a TV interview I did with my fellow Thai announcer for Home Cable TV company, in which we were looking at Driving tests etec. If they NOW test on the roads, good, however at that time it was only done on a closed circuit at the testing station.

As all the READERS of Udon Map would love to see that , I can prove my statement but as usual you cannot , there will be a digital record held by Home Cable and my friend still may have a copy disc. But I doi not see the need to prove my statement who falsely accuses me of lying. You prove I am or keep your defamatory comments to yourself.

Or we could go to court , do you have deep pockets ?
What is defamatory about my post? I didn’t say you were lying, I said you couldn’t prove it which you still haven’t done, read it again.
And what do you want me to prove, that Mrs N took her test on real roads about 6 years ago?

You’ve answered exactly as I said you would, well done champ.

Anyhow, when was this Home Cable nonsense? If I recall correctly it was years ago so hardly relevant today is it? (I’d love to watch the clip BTW)

EDIT
Is it this lot? https://www.homecable.co.th/sitemap/
The archives only go back to 2016 & theres no mention of you. Maybe they thought it prudent to erase you from their history 😂

PS
Stop threatening me with court unless you’re prepared to go through with it. I’m still waiting for the papers from the last three occasions you threatened it

EDIT 2
I have removed the word moron as although it is a perfectly accurate adjective it could breach the minimum level of expected civility in this post
Last edited by Niggly on March 3, 2021, 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”