https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... peed-limit

A pessimist see’s a difficulty in every opportunity,
A optimist see’s an opportunity in every difficulty,
I am the latter.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Re: 120 kph?

Post by kopkei » December 2, 2020, 9:56 am

joking? it is about time , 120km/h is a nice cruising speed on the big roads to get you within a decent time at your destination .... =D>

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 2, 2020, 12:29 pm

kopkei wrote:
December 2, 2020, 9:56 am
joking? it is about time , 120km/h is a nice cruising speed on the big roads to get you within a decent time at your destination .... =D>
Also, the 120 kph applies basically to motorways and the newer highways in and around the capital.

"The speed limits will apply on national and rural highways of four lanes separated by a barrier and without U-turn points."

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398908

I guess we'll need to see how the new "six lanes separated by a barrier with u-turns" of the eastern ring road fares. I do a u-turn there daily and if it's going to be 3 lanes that one has to confront, I can only hope that some thought goes into filter lanes for both sides of the u-turn. I imagine they'll have to do something like they have on the north side of Highway 2 at Khon Kaen where they have barriers to channel 'fast lane' drivers to the middle lane and prevent double-stacking in the U.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » December 2, 2020, 12:57 pm

120 kph, Well it's Only Just over 70 mph.....72mph to be Precise !!,But You'll still get IDIOTS Doing 150 kph....

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 2, 2020, 5:04 pm

IMO 120 is absolutely fine on the main highways and dual carrageways .. ive found it difficukt to stick to 90 on these as it seems like you are stood still at times ... bte that doent mean im ok with 110 on udon ring rd as i think they should be set at a lower limit .

Also many accidents are caused by Harry Slowman .. sat in the outter lane chudding along at 30 40.or 50 ..thinking hes been ultra safe when the reality is ..hes a fooking dick and a major hazzard and needs to be retrained .

Dm.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » December 2, 2020, 6:33 pm

The biggest road safety risk is not the actual speed but the speed differential. As DM points out, this is why it is so dangerous with Grandpa Somchai doing 40 kph in his knackered pick-up / Samlor / Tractor / etc, swerving across 2 or 3 lanes to do a U-Turn while young Lek with her fake tits is doing 120kph in her Honda Jazz with zero road sense.

120 kph is only safe if the minimum speed limit is 80kph IMO.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 3, 2020, 6:43 am

747man wrote:
December 2, 2020, 12:57 pm
120 kph, Well it's Only Just over 70 mph.....72mph to be Precise !!,But You'll still get IDIOTS Doing 150 kph....
I thought you got facts from the internet like your weather reports?

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 3, 2020, 6:50 am

Miles have been devalued by Brexit since google did the maths

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 3, 2020, 6:55 am

Only in Nong Khai where last time I looked wasn’t included in Brexit

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 3, 2020, 6:56 am

Todays modern cars, well most of the cars we use today are built I am sure to cruise at about 60-70 odd mph, or to put it another way between 80-120 odd Kph.
Driving at those speeds with a good driver is not a problem, however as usual here in this country, good drivers unless well taught are a rarity, lack of lane discipline, ignoring basic rules, if slow in the inside lane unless overtaking , hogging the outside lane as 2 kms ahead doing a U turn, use of mirrors almost non-existent, plus the dreaded one, motorcycles zipping along without a care in the world between and through lines of vehicles, while helmetless and possibly more than two on said bike. Coupled with my pet hate, lack of any indication as to a drivers intention, makes driving 80% guesswork and 20 praying .
So 120 no problem , but I bet the death rate will rise, if they cannot stop at 90, no friggin chance of stopping at 120

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 3, 2020, 7:11 am

when i first moved to thailand i have always driven more quick as allowed , mostly on long trips (pattaya) 120-140kmh arriving very quick , now however i have become more calm and always driving not more fast as allowed ,fe 90km/h when doing this how many cars have past/flown by ? many (all?)....look like i am the turtle on the road ,many are speeding so not much really changing, when no one follows the rules anyway ....
i always say , it is easy to drive fast ,but not easy to stop fast ....
to me driving here is no guesswork as i know what to expect , and praying surely wont help ...drive safe all... ;)

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 3, 2020, 12:16 pm

We drove along a 10 (maybe 12 I was busy concentrating on other things) highway in Chachoengsao earlier this week. It was a 90 limit clearly posted with led signs & painted in the carriageway. I was travelling between 120 & 140 just to keep up. The biggest problem was the vehicles allowed on this stretch of road. There were Kobota long handles, scoots 3 or 4 up, pick up taxis vying for trade, & local buses in what I’d call “slow” travel right up to inter province coaches, blacked out AMG Mercs & me (😉) in the “reasonable” speed group.
It was nuts with Somchais merging from side roads in first gear right up to just about everyone regardless of speed trying to get from lane 1 across to a u turn in the central reservation.
Another problem was there were raised sections of highway which I think were bridges over klongs where you couldn’t see over. A few times I went up, along & just started down only to find stationary traffic so had to anchor on.
It was good fun though 😂

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 3, 2020, 3:43 pm

So instead of even attempting to keep to the speed limit you decided to KEEP UP, at 120/140 , what an absolute plonker, with typical Thai mentality . Instead of slowing down to the correct speed and let the rest commit vehicular hari kari you joined in and they say Thai drivers are bad, here we have a self confessed foreign numpty.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 3, 2020, 4:28 pm

Perhaps before they force everyone who doesn't want to race Lewis Hamilton into the slow lane, they may consider repairing said "slow" lanes to a condition where they will not wreck your suspension, and then making sure the HGV vehicles are properly loaded for the roads they are using. Then the Bus/Coach drivers will be able to use those lanes without shaking their passengers out of their seats

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 3, 2020, 4:41 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
December 3, 2020, 4:28 pm
Perhaps before they force everyone who doesn't want to race Lewis Hamilton into the slow lane, they may consider repairing said "slow" lanes to a condition where they will not wreck your suspension, and then making sure the HGV vehicles are properly loaded for the roads they are using. Then the Bus/Coach drivers will be able to use those lanes without shaking their passengers out of their seats
A lot of good points well made there, unfortunately, even where there are three lanes the inside lane is still not uised to its full potential even if in good state of repair, and as for Loaded lorries being correct judging by the sheer number of overladen and loads protruding both sideways and rearwards, with seemingly lack of ANY enforcement that point will take decades to rectify as it will require TRAINED Police Officers to deal with coupled with Ministry officials . Then you have to deal with the HGV and PSV drivers culture, doing what they want when they want and the rest, other road users beware. just because they are bigger and possibly overtired, high on drugs or drink or just plain idiotic`. Having said all that, they ( HGV and PSV drivers are getting better far better than 17 years ago that is for sure.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 3, 2020, 5:06 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
December 3, 2020, 3:43 pm
So instead of even attempting to keep to the speed limit you decided to KEEP UP, at 120/140 , what an absolute plonker, with typical Thai mentality . Instead of slowing down to the correct speed and let the rest commit vehicular hari kari you joined in and they say Thai drivers are bad, here we have a self confessed foreign numpty.
So you suggest it’s far better & safer to be a slow moving vehicle that appears out of nowhere over the crest of all the bridges rather than go at an appropriate speed for the conditions? Other drivers committing vehicular hari kari as you put it are more likely to rear end me going slowly so drive to the conditions for me every time.

You’ve already stated on numerous occasions you slam on your brakes if bikes & cars get too close behind you hoping to cause an accident because they deserve it so frankly your opinion in driving matters means jackshit

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 3, 2020, 5:10 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
December 3, 2020, 4:41 pm

A lot of good points well made there, unfortunately, even where there are three lanes the inside lane is still not uised to its full potential even if in good state of repair, and as for Loaded lorries being correct judging by the sheer number of overladen and loads protruding both sideways and rearwards, with seemingly lack of ANY enforcement that point will take decades to rectify as it will require TRAINED Police Officers to deal with coupled with Ministry officials . Then you have to deal with the HGV and PSV drivers culture, doing what they want when they want and the rest, other road users beware. just because they are bigger and possibly overtired, high on drugs or drink or just plain idiotic`. Having said all that, they ( HGV and PSV drivers are getting better far better than 17 years ago that is for sure.
Welcome to UM’s version of Godwin’s Law where any thread will eventually get a post from this xenophobic idiot criticising the RTP or Thais in general.
Well done that man 👍

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 3, 2020, 5:13 pm

Just noticed the speedo on the car goes to 200kph. Going to try it along beach road tonight, it’s got to be okay hasn’t it or they wouldn’t print it on the dial

(This fishing is too easy)

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 3, 2020, 5:44 pm

90 KPH is too slow, but, 120 may be a little too fast. Even on the tollway, most drivers seem happy sticking around 100 KPH.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 3, 2020, 6:30 pm

Anywhere from.80.to 120 is really ok ... BUT you have to take i to consideration many factors..

The roads you are on.. surface quality n
The vehcle you are driving
Time of day , day night , rush hour peaks etc
Potential hazrads roadworks , poorly lit trucks n mbikes
Slow down near U turns n intersections
Allow for Somchai 30 km.man and first time pretty drivers and speeding boy racers spewing out toxic black fumes.
Cows
Sugar cane moving season
Red light jumpers
Poorly maintained big truck n trailers
Vehcles going the wrong way down a main highway

If can remember all.above and drive sensibly 120 is ok ..this does not allow for the crazy fookwit anyone of us could meet at anytime ...and in most cases there isnt alot you can do about it

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”