friendly NOD .

General Udon Thani topics only!
timmy
udonmap.com

friendly NOD .

Post by timmy » October 20, 2020, 10:42 am

just wondering on other peoples thoughts , how many of you nod or say hello when your out and about either shopping or in town ,
now i know i,m not the most lovable or approachable man ever to walk the streets , but i just came back from the old tesco , there were quite a few farangs walking around on there own and couples , said " morning " 4 different times and not 1 returned the gesture , is it a sign of the times or nobody can be bothered ....

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Re: friendly NOD .

Post by dunroaming » October 20, 2020, 10:47 am

Like you I also nod smile or say hello, many times I get a response other times get nothing at all, won't stop me trying to be nice

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 20, 2020, 10:53 am

Costs nowt to be nice timmy .. alas i too have experienced this on numerous occasions so gave up and just became neither a giver or a receiver of the friendly nod.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » October 20, 2020, 11:06 am

Dunroaming Said.....Like you I also nod smile....

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 20, 2020, 11:19 am

DM, this has been one of my major complaints since I arrived in Thailand nearly 11 years ago. I'm from Tennessee in the USA, and we are known for our hospitality. Back there I can walk down the street and total strangers will greet me, and I them, and we will always respond with a smile and a few words 100% of the time. It's a horrible feeling to greet someone and not have the reciprocity. I have a theory about that here in Thailand with many of the farangs we run into from day to day. I think we have an unusual amount of total derelicts who are social outcasts who have fled their home countries for a number of different reasons, and they just don't want anyone to know them or their past lives. We have perverts and queers who live their lives in the bottom of the pit, and they don't want anyone to know their dirty little secrets, so they avoid most social contacts. Others don't want to have a conversation because they're afraid they might be asked for a loan or wind up in the middle of another person's problems. I guess in some cases the older people just want to be left alone and not invite any grief into their life. They are in "total protection mode"! This is just my opinion of course. I'm sure others may have a different take on this. If you are one of these ingrates who can't be bothered to return a greeting out in public, then no offence meant, but if the shoe fits....wear it!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 20, 2020, 11:28 am

It's not so much the unacknowledged vocal greeting... I did get once get a guttural noise from what I assume was a Scandihooligan who, in hindsight, was probably challenged in Englishpeak. What gives me a laugh is the thousand-mile stare and the will of steel needed to resist making eye contact at any cost when a farang suddenly finds himself alone in the same aisle with another farang.

Having said that, the Tesco-Lotus farang can be a rather droll hare. A far more friendly specimen can be found at Big-C.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 20, 2020, 11:49 am

An interesting subject, timmy - I think of it this way.

How many of us, when wandering around a large supermarket (in Oz, Coles or Woolworths) in a major city in our former country, would nod and expect an acknowledgement from a complete stranger - just because we share the same skin colour?

Smaller towns (in both our former country, and now Thailand) - as sfg possibly alludes to - are a different matter. I have no problem nodding, or acknowledging a nod, while in Big C, Ban Dung.

However, while I would acknowledge in Big C or Makro in Udon (for example), I would not be the instigator unless it was someone I had previously met, or possibly met. Same as in Oz.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » October 20, 2020, 1:10 pm

25 years ago when I came here there wasn't as many farangs as there are now and we always got a nod or a hello when we met in Tops or Makro. If i don't gat a response when i say hello to someone I tottally ignore them when I see them next whether it be in shops/resturants or bars.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » October 20, 2020, 3:28 pm

I know this is the new normal but I don't think facemasks are helping much.
You used to be able to see the expression on the approaching farang's face from a reasonable distance & if he was looking in your direction & smiling there was a good chance there'd be a reciprocal acknowledgment.
Nowadays you have to really stare to gauge the facial expression from the eyes alone & that doesn't give a very good first impression.
Of course, if the approaching farang is facemaskless, I don't really want to get too close & catch a touch of the covids, the selfish ---- ;)
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 21, 2020, 12:02 pm

I often nod or say Good Morning or even smile when I see Farangs ,when shopping, whether I get a reply is irrelevant , many do , some ( obviously not understanding ) just smile . Some I ignore because .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 21, 2020, 12:49 pm

Niggly wrote:
October 20, 2020, 3:28 pm
I know this is the new normal but I don't think facemasks are helping much.
You used to be able to see the expression on the approaching farang's face from a reasonable distance & if he was looking in your direction & smiling there was a good chance there'd be a reciprocal acknowledgment.
Nowadays you have to really stare to gauge the facial expression from the eyes alone & that doesn't give a very good first impression.
Of course, if the approaching farang is facemaskless, I don't really want to get too close & catch a touch of the covids, the selfish ---- ;)
I have found more farangs willing to engage in muffled guttural mumbling now they've masked up.

More importantly though, I have discovered mask wearing has gifted me a stunning insight as to the prettiness of the female mask wearer, her body type, the pertness and firmness of some parts, her taste in undergarments (if any) and even if she's naturally glabrous.

I may have to publish my findings in the Journal of Psychology.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » October 21, 2020, 1:12 pm

tamada wrote:
October 21, 2020, 12:49 pm

I may have to publish my findings in the Journal of Psychology.
Or start wearing sunglasses so not to get caught letching

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » October 21, 2020, 1:14 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
October 21, 2020, 12:02 pm
Some I ignore because they’ve seen me first & are scurrying away down a different aisle
There, fixed that for you
You’re welcome ;)

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » October 21, 2020, 1:27 pm

Niggly wrote:
October 21, 2020, 1:14 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
Some I ignore because they’ve seen me first & are scurrying away down a different aisle
You’re welcome ;)
Now I understand why many of my posts seem to be different than I imagined 🤣 might still be the beer Google's but this is more plausible

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 21, 2020, 4:13 pm

Wearing masks and mumbling .. a simple

Good morning
Sounds very similar to
Bollocks mate i dont wanna go there

Doesnt it ????

Wearing sunglasses avoids the death stare and allows non problematic perving .. at the tesco lass on tge deli counter or in Tams cases the strapping bint collecting trolleys

So masks n sunglasses, are the way to go

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 21, 2020, 4:40 pm

Niggly wrote:
October 21, 2020, 1:14 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
You’re welcome ;)
No actually I wrote nothing, and true to form you write utter claptrap. but heyho as long as you are happy to be called an idiot I care not one jot.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » October 22, 2020, 2:02 am

khun paul if you ever met mr niggly you'd have
a good belly laugh. a friend pointed him out to
me sort of a clumsy clod of an oaf with a permanent, vacant expression on his face. kind of
at odds with " english hard-man spitting insults" act

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 22, 2020, 6:21 am

I am aware of Mr Niggly's physical appearance , which is not really an issue . But thanks for pointing it out .

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » October 22, 2020, 6:57 am

pepesgrill wrote:
October 22, 2020, 2:02 am
khun paul if you ever met mr niggly you'd have
a good belly laugh. a friend pointed him out to
me sort of a clumsy clod of an oaf with a permanent, vacant expression on his face. kind of
at odds with " english hard-man spitting insults" act

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 22, 2020, 7:47 am

to me if you even have any form of politeness, when some one says hello ,nod,or what ever ,the least you can do is respond the same ?, i myself however will not be the first to nod or what ever ,as we never did this in our home country unless we knew the people ...i do not see any use in start nodding to everyone (falang or thais ) ;)
Last edited by kopkei on October 22, 2020, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”