Drivers of large Bikes to undergo additional requirements and testing

General Udon Thani topics only!
dunroaming
udonmap.com

Drivers of large Bikes to undergo additional requirements and testing

Post by dunroaming » August 23, 2020, 4:38 am

I was reading this morning that drivers of big bikes (400cc and above) will require an additional medical cert, training and harder test before they can use these bikes on the open road due in part to a large number of a accidents.

There was one part of the statement made that really was quite interesting and again shows TIT

In addition, the DLT is exploring restricting drivers licenses from those with certain medical conditions, such as being legally blind or subject to seizures, as well as diseases that could affect driving ability.

Amazing Thailand

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Re: Drivers of large Bikes to undergo additional requirements and testing

Post by Kenr6583 » August 23, 2020, 4:47 am

dunroaming wrote:
August 23, 2020, 4:38 am
I was reading this morning that drivers of big bikes (400cc and above) will require an additional medical cert, training and harder test before they can use these bikes on the open road due in part to a large number of a accidents.

There was one part of the statement made that really was quite interesting and again shows TIT

In addition, the DLT is exploring restricting drivers licenses from those with certain medical conditions, such as being legally blind or subject to seizures, as well as diseases that could affect driving ability.

Amazing Thailand
One of the best parts in their reasoning that I read was that it is being done in order to protect the less experienced riders, I am assuming the mopeds/Thai motorbike, out on the street.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » August 23, 2020, 6:56 am

i also was read that if you,ve had your licence for over X amount of years you will be exempt from new licence , its only to stop " rich HISO kids " from going out and buying R1s and other big bikes as there first bike , i do wonder if they,ll do the same with cars to stop the rich mama/papa buying there little darlings a new " porsche " or " BMW " ???

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 23, 2020, 4:32 pm

A few years ago I undertook an interview at the driving Licence testing Centre on the Kohn Kaen Road , now I wasa also party to a testing schedule being run, when asked by the Director of the place which drivers did I think passed , he was upset when I said none and the examiner should be also removed . When he asked why , I told home and his comments which sadly was not recorded for posterity was that testing them on Real Roads was DANGEROUS .

I will just leave that comment here for all to read and ponder. P:lus while the Insurance is linked to the car NOT the driver it will always be the same. As Porobor pays out for the vehicle not the idiot driving it . With no central database for Drink Driving, insurance companies are happily still insuiring cars being driven by previous drink drivers, which of anything is to go by what I have seen is approx 25% of the driving community in Thailand . Enforcement as we know is a joke as is the fines incurred for transgressions.

So the idea of imposing a better licence is I feel just a sop or a band aid to cover a large wound, never to thjwart the hyped up male wishing to be an idiot, and the current laws will aloow him if he crashes to buy another one, insure with basic 3rd party and do it all again next time .
As the Sky news report shows, it is a complete shambles and getting worse, that is why I will NEVER ride a Motorcycle, prefer the safety and comfort of my almost 2 ton 4x4 .

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » August 23, 2020, 10:45 pm

90% of them have not had any formal instruction
and you wonder why everyone " makes up their own driving rules"

red & green lights are mere suggestions

it's ok to cross over into the other lane when going
around a blind corner, saves time

turn signals are for . . . japanese ? why are they on
my bike? let's remove those rear mirrors also

he who can cut queue and weasel his way to
front of line . . . wins

best place to be is 6ft behind another driver in
their " blind spot" preferably with headlight off

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 24, 2020, 10:52 am

90% of them have not had any formal instruction
and you wonder why everyone " makes up their own driving rules"
red & green lights are mere suggestions
it's ok to cross over into the other lane when going
around a blind corner, saves time
turn signals are for . . . japanese ? why are they on
my bike? let's remove those rear mirrors also
he who can cut queue and weasel his way to
front of line . . . wins
despite all short comings of others , i still enjoy driving my car here, this was not the case when i went back to my birth country a while ago , i let my daughter drive me as so many restrictions not pleasant anymore driving ,i would get nuts ,i hope never having to return there ....no freedom anymore ( not only about driving) ... ;)

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » August 24, 2020, 8:28 pm

my only point was , it's extremely dangerous. you
only have to look at many crumpled back ends of
cars , to see how many rear ended by motorbikes

or take note of how many farangs seriously hurt/
perished in local accidents. these "grab boys" are
the worst. it's like given permission to drive stupid

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 25, 2020, 11:28 am

Would 12 year old kids, with no helmets, drivers licenses or training have anything to do with road deaths. If they live long enough to have a license and some experience, they still drive the same way.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 25, 2020, 2:33 pm

At last some sense regarding big bikes .. good idea to make the license test more stringent fir big "super bikes" ..wont effect the genuine riders ig these machines n they have nothing to fear ..but it will POSSIBLY assist in cutting out the young teens chasing the big bike dream .

Imo .. a scooter is all thats ever needed here ..unless your
a serious tourer or in a club etc .

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » August 25, 2020, 2:50 pm

Let's face it it was crazy they allowed people to pass a test on a scooter then walk into the big bike shops and buy whatever they wanted, big bikes and scooters are worlds apart like cars and trucks or buses!

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » August 25, 2020, 4:19 pm

dunroaming wrote:
August 25, 2020, 2:50 pm
Let's face it it was crazy they allowed people to pass a test on a scooter then walk into the big bike shops and buy whatever they wanted, big bikes and scooters are worlds apart like cars and trucks or buses!
Err did it in the UK
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » August 25, 2020, 4:52 pm

joepai wrote:
August 25, 2020, 4:19 pm
dunroaming wrote:
Err did it in the UK
What year was that? Current requirements are totally different now and some bikes you need to be aged 24 or over now

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 25, 2020, 5:34 pm

When I passed my test in 1982 you could ride up to 250cc from 17 years old indefinitely on L plates & if you passed the single part practical test ride any bike on the market
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 25, 2020, 7:39 pm

I think big bikes are more dangerous. I have had my share of them and there is always a strong temptation to feel the awesome power.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » August 25, 2020, 8:00 pm

glalt wrote:
August 25, 2020, 7:39 pm
I think big bikes are more dangerous. I have had my share of them and there is always a strong temptation to feel the awesome power.
Agree fully

I now have the same number of bolts and steel in my legs, as a bike has for its Frame. :fryingpan: Well maybe not quite the same, but enough, courtesy of a Yamaha R1

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » August 25, 2020, 9:03 pm

It's not the bike that's dangerous,it's the riders.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » August 25, 2020, 9:26 pm

Scooters are more dangerous with their skinny tires, weak brakes and light weight Much less stable on the road. Harleys are big bikes without a lot of power as many cruisers are. I would say riding a Harley or similar is safer. High performance sport bikes are very powerful and people who buy those usually buy them for their power and they like to use it which is of course dangerous. Education, enforcement of laws and higher insurance premiums for high performance bikes would help but this is Thailand. It won't happen.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » August 25, 2020, 10:16 pm

TicToc wrote:
August 25, 2020, 9:03 pm
It's not the bike that's dangerous,it's the riders.
No, it's is the people in the cars that don't give a sh..t about those riding the Bikes or people that happen to be preoccupied on their mobile phones. Often Nerds, pretending to be important in their "Look at me Car". :-k

Then there is the other group of, Neanderthals, who can't ride a Bike, but decide to play Chicken with those on the Bike, so as just to impress the Trollop that they have sitting in the passenger seat. Usually referred to a "*******".

Big bike riders tend to think and know where they are doing, such as straight ahead, given it only takes 1/2 a second and they can be flying instead of riding. Cant say that for the Nerds and ******* \:D/

Has anyone seen the guy below, because I have a "Bone to Pick with him", so to speak :evil: :fryingpan:

Neanderthal.jpg
Have a good day

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 25, 2020, 11:05 pm

joepai wrote:
August 25, 2020, 4:19 pm
dunroaming wrote:
Err did it in the UK
So did I, from a lambetta 150cc to a Tiger100 (500cc twin) though it was second hand. The bigger bike was definitely safer. Soon after I joined Father Bill’s club.
F04DD878-2352-494E-84A9-6A1D341A6C72.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 26, 2020, 8:27 am

what are they going to do? when buying a big bike +400cc must show a dl to drive this one,able to buy? , so the only once enforcing this will be the men in brown and it will mean only extra tea money ,after paying the fine being allowed to continue your ride ? who is really benefiting of this? ...so what is really changing?...dream on ..TIT... ;)

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”