Passport Renewal

General Udon Thani topics only!
timmy
udonmap.com

Re: Passport Renewal

Post by timmy » February 25, 2021, 9:54 am

tamada wrote:
February 25, 2021, 9:18 am
Key Visa charges 5000 for the same one-stop service. They also claimed to be the only UKPO and VFS officially approved provider of this service. However, I didn't seen that claim on their website recently so maybe caveat emptor.
Tam , is the 5000 for there charges and the new passport all in ?

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 25, 2021, 9:57 am

Key Visa charges an additional 6K Baht if one uses their Credit card to pay for the Passport (not a bad little profit for GBP 118).
Does the Thai Visa Express charge of 10K include the new Passport UK charges?
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 25, 2021, 10:08 am

timmy wrote:
February 25, 2021, 9:54 am
tamada wrote:
February 25, 2021, 9:18 am
Key Visa charges 5000 for the same one-stop service. They also claimed to be the only UKPO and VFS officially approved provider of this service. However, I didn't seen that claim on their website recently so maybe caveat emptor.
Tam , is the 5000 for there charges and the new passport all in ?
I have no idea timmy as my post was simply for info only. Don't get me wrong here but I am the last person who would promote any of Key Visa's services. If you are satisfied with the cost and service you got from another provider, then that's all that really matters.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 25, 2021, 10:11 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
February 25, 2021, 9:57 am
Key Visa charges an additional 6K Baht if one uses their Credit card to pay for the Passport (not a bad little profit for GBP 118).
Good grief! That's about a 140 quid 'convenience' charge. I'm done with even mentioning the blackguards!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 25, 2021, 10:25 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
I think you will find that it does, I found a fee of 5,000 for the renewal process. Best to call to check.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » February 25, 2021, 10:27 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
YES mate , 10000 baht and they pay the cost of the new passport ,and the EMS post costs .

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 23, 2021, 4:15 pm

Just read an announcement by the Passport Office that renewals will now take 10 weeks to process instead of the usual 3. This is for applications in the Uk so I’d expect you could add a few more weeks if applying at Trendy Building or using an agent.
This extended time will need to be taken into consideration by anyone with upcoming extensions & a short dated passport thinking they can quickly get a renewal in before application.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » April 24, 2021, 7:46 am

I used Key Visa late last year. 5000 baht well spent, couldn't have done the renewal myself cheaper I dont think. Great service, kept me informed of delays etc. In all, from KV receiving my documents and passport it took 8 weeks to receive the new one.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » April 24, 2021, 3:41 pm

Can't Brits renew their passports by mail? Why use an agent? It's a simple form and a photo. One hunnerd baht for postage. And another fee for the new passport itself.

The OP is concerned about going a period of time without his passport, as the expiring one has to be sent in for the renewal. The same would apply if an agent does this. What, service, exactly, is the agent providing for 5,000 baht? The US Embassy website states it takes 2-3 weeks from the time they receive the application via registered mail.

It's really not that difficult, but I understand the OP's apprehension about being passport-less for a spell.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 24, 2021, 6:17 pm

Giggle wrote:
April 24, 2021, 3:41 pm
Can't Brits renew their passports by mail?
No we can’t. A visit or 2 to the Trendy building, either in person or by an agent acting for the applicant is required.

You are just showing your lack of knowledge in yet another area.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 24, 2021, 7:27 pm

2 visits as they will not send the passport by mail/ems even though they have done all their checks/balances when you visit the first time.
Note that even though the embassy sends you an e mail telling you you can collect from Trendy between 13:00 and 15:00, the collection times are between 13:00 and 14:00

thewatchman
udonmap.com

Post by thewatchman » April 24, 2021, 7:34 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
April 24, 2021, 7:27 pm
2 visits as they will not send the passport by mail/ems even though they have done all their checks/balances when you visit the first time.
Note that even though the embassy sends you an e mail telling you you can collect from Trendy between 13:00 and 15:00, the collection times are between 13:00 and 14:00
or just get one of the many agents to pick it up for you and Ems it back,300 baht
laughing at the occasional visitor and failed taxi drivers

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » April 24, 2021, 8:51 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
April 24, 2021, 6:17 pm
Giggle wrote:
April 24, 2021, 3:41 pm
Can't Brits renew their passports by mail?
You are just showing your lack of knowledge in yet another area.
It was a question, buttercup. Don't get mud flaps in a twist. Admittedly, I don't keep tabs on other countries passport renewal procedures, that's why I asked the question.

But now that you mention it ... sad sacks got to schlep it down to Bangkok just to hand over a paper. :lol:

Good times.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » April 24, 2021, 10:29 pm

They'll hand the passport over to an "agent," but won't put it in registered mail?
Don't they realize the agent is just going to mail it anyway?

Are they daft? Wait, this is the Brit Embassy, right? Forget it.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 24, 2021, 10:49 pm

Giggle wrote:
April 24, 2021, 10:29 pm
They'll hand the passport over to an "agent," but won't put it in registered mail?
Don't they realize the agent is just going to mail it anyway?

Not quite. They'll hand it over to whoever the applicant designates to collect it on their behalf. The identity of that person or agent has to be provided to the passport office when the applicant requests this option and the aforementioned designated person or agent has to provide matching proof of identity before they are given the applicants passport.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 25, 2021, 12:01 am

Giggle wrote:

Once again you are showing your ignorance. No it is not the British embassy, it’s is an agent for HMPO.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » April 25, 2021, 9:25 am

The Brit Embassy subcontracts passport production, handing the entire operation over to a gaggle of civilians -- not employed directly by the Dept of State or MOFA or whatever they call it -- HMPO. And they're so concerned about the safety of these documents they forbid the use of registered mail despite relinquishing the entire operation to relatively unknown entities.

The mind boggles. Who makes these rules, Monty Python?

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » April 25, 2021, 9:40 am

Chriss wrote:
April 24, 2021, 7:46 am
I used Key Visa late last year. 5000 baht well spent, couldn't have done the renewal myself cheaper I dont think. Great service, kept me informed of delays etc. In all, from KV receiving my documents and passport it took 8 weeks to receive the new one.
Forget to add, Key Visa told me, should I need my existing passport at any time during the renewal process they have it in their office and can EMS to me, they use a photocopy for the renewal. Don't shoot, that's what I was told.
Personally I also have a photos of my passport photo page, visa, extension stamp and 90 day report yellow paper on my phone. Never once in 21 years have I been asked to provide my passport in the street.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » April 25, 2021, 9:43 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
April 25, 2021, 12:01 am
Giggle wrote:

Once again you are showing your ignorance. No it is not the British embassy, it’s is an agent for HMPO.
Guess they could revert to the registered SAE supplied with renewal docs as they did when renewal was done in Hong Kong.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » April 25, 2021, 9:48 am

should I need my existing passport at any time during the renewal process they have it in their office and can EMS to me, they use a photocopy for the renewal
:-& :-& :-& :badteeth:

Klassik.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”