soldering solution

General Udon Thani topics only!
maaka
udonmap.com

soldering solution

Post by maaka » July 3, 2020, 1:32 pm

got my starter motor all fixed and the ruddy wire comes un-soldered...I have never been much good at soldering, the ruddy thing always never wants to stick..However I see many a man squirt some sort of solution on prior to soldering..what is that solution ?

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: soldering solution

Post by tamada » July 3, 2020, 1:43 pm

Probably acid flux. There's plenty info on the 'net about rosin flux, acid flux and even DIY solutions (how to make your own). Most modern, lighter solders (such as used for electronics) has the flux cores in the solder. However, if using heavier gauge solder or bars, you can buy solder flux separately. I have seen it in small red tubs of solder flux in Amorn under Big C Nittayo.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 3, 2020, 1:45 pm

Soldering Flux, in several forms usually a translucent paste. If the wire and connection is perfectly clean you can use "Resin Core Solder", has the flux impeded in it. Tool Pro or any half arsed electrician should have it.

EDIT: What he said above me, in a dim age gone by he and I sat together sniffing the aroma of burning flux repairing damage caused by the high quality labor employed to work for us! :shock:
Last edited by Bandung_Dero on July 3, 2020, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 3, 2020, 1:52 pm

hell I am not going all the way back to Udon just to buy a tin of something..why cant it be in the kitchen..

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 3, 2020, 2:01 pm

maaka wrote:
July 3, 2020, 1:52 pm
hell I am not going all the way back to Udon just to buy a tin of something..why cant it be in the kitchen..
Well I guess you could use a syringe and extract a little acid out of your battery, dilute it by about 50% and MAKE SURE it it well washed off after completing the exercise. Old bushmans trick.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 3, 2020, 2:46 pm

sand paper the wire to remove any patina, put the soldering iron on the wires to heat them up, then feed the solder
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 3, 2020, 2:59 pm

ten four everyone, thanx. got it sorted. even got abit of steel glue on it..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 3, 2020, 4:12 pm

Whistler wrote:
July 3, 2020, 2:46 pm
sand paper the wire to remove any patina, put the soldering iron on the wires to heat them up, then feed the solder
Oops... it appears that our Walter's been googling again.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 3, 2020, 4:13 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
July 3, 2020, 1:45 pm
Soldering Flux, in several forms usually a translucent paste. If the wire and connection is perfectly clean you can use "Resin Core Solder", has the flux impeded in it. Tool Pro or any half arsed electrician should have it.

EDIT: What he said above me, in a dim age gone by he and I sat together sniffing the aroma of burning flux repairing damage caused by the high quality labor employed to work for us! :shock:
My God! we were good, eh?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 3, 2020, 5:47 pm

tamada wrote:
July 3, 2020, 4:12 pm
Whistler wrote:
RC gets it wrong again. My father was a cable jointer in Bishopstortford then again in Sydney, You really must stop spouting off and proving what everybody on the forum already suspects.

Amazing, I try and be helpful and RC thinks it's 'Insult Friday'

Whats wrong with you RC, you stalking this site for posts I make so you can have a cheap thrill of making an insulting comment, you sound like one very sick and obsessed puppy
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 3, 2020, 6:25 pm

Whistler wrote:
July 3, 2020, 5:47 pm
tamada wrote:
July 3, 2020, 4:12 pm
Whistler wrote:
Tam gets it wrong again. My father was a cable jointer in Bishopstortford then again in Sydney, You really must stop spouting off and proving what everybody on the forum ready suspects.

Amazing, I try and be helpful and tam thinks it's 'Insult Friday'
[insert yawn emoticon here while Walter edits and tweaks his post for maximum effect]

The first stage of any soldering operation is to get the bit of the iron 'wet' with hot solder before you apply the bit to ANY surface to be soldered. Heating wires or any surface while the bit is 'dry' is a quick way to melted insulation, pcb and component damage and cold-soldered joints.

Your dad may well have been "a cable jointer in Bishopstortford then again in Sydney" and knew nonsense from Shinola but you being "booth captain for labor at Epping Boys polling station" doesn't mean squat when it comes to soldering or pretty much of anything else for that matter.

...Walter.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 3, 2020, 6:35 pm

Boy you really are obsessed. Take a pill and see a Dr.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 3, 2020, 6:51 pm

So here is me two weeks ago, installing a common earth for new washing machine, fridge and air conditioning unit, to an existing old earth on a HWS. Joints seemed fine doing what I described but obviously it did not.

Just checked again, soldered joints look fine to me. Thinks.....

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » July 3, 2020, 7:49 pm

On the subject of soldering, The bit on my iron has lost its solder.
The solder mainly runs off the bit
.I cleaned it with emery,dipped it in flux, applied solder. But still wont adhere .
I wonder if the bit has a special coating.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 3, 2020, 11:38 pm

choi choi wrote:
July 3, 2020, 7:49 pm
On the subject of soldering, The bit on my iron has lost its solder.
The solder mainly runs off the bit
.I cleaned it with emery,dipped it in flux, applied solder. But still wont adhere .
I wonder if the bit has a special coating.
Bits do have a coating and on cheaper ones, this will deteriorate. Chances are the emery papering got rid of what little was left? Maybe best get a new iron unless anyone knows a shop that sells bits. lazada maybe?

Or the more expensive RS?

https://th.rs-online.com/web/c/power-to ... iron-tips/

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » July 5, 2020, 5:19 pm

had my mom on phone yesterday shes 82. i was
going to do a valve adj on my mio but couldnt find
specs .she googled it up right quik.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » July 5, 2020, 6:55 pm

Beautiful, i am assuming that your mother is retired. Retirees are not all sitting all day in front of a large ARCHA. Some of us RETIREES have things to do, things to manage, have a schedule, have a life. Retirement does not equal IDLE. Bravo to your mother.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » July 5, 2020, 7:07 pm

oh , she said rosin core solder was for fine electrical applications while acid core for copper
pipes & bulkier things. but she's a little past it

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 5, 2020, 9:36 pm

^ By a whole two days apparently.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”