Hooded cobra

General Udon Thani topics only!
choi choi
udonmap.com

Hooded cobra

Post by choi choi » April 16, 2020, 8:25 pm

My dog fighting with a snake. Although seems not bitten, Has an Eye problem. Eyes watering and blinking I think the snake spat venom at her.
I have bathed the eyes in Bi- carb and water. Anyone had this happen?

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Hooded cobra

Post by vincemunday » April 16, 2020, 8:34 pm

No I haven't Choi but I hope your dog is okay and that it hasn't been bitten, I found this

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Spitting ... -from-Eyes
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 16, 2020, 8:39 pm

If you end up needing a vet there is one on the Posri Road opposite the show ground, they carry antivenin and are open 24 hours.

https://udoninfo.com/udon-thani-directo ... uBkheX0pB8
Attachments
4f5975ea-7b33-4cfa-bc7c-100af521cb16.jpg
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 16, 2020, 8:52 pm

About 8 years ago one of our large dogs stuck his nose underneath a large rock and got a shot of venom straight into the eye. The snake slithered out from the rock into a field and now our 3 dogs were in hyper hunting mode. There was no chance we could pull our dogs away with a loose cobra in the open. Finally, the dog that took the eyeful grabbed the back of the cobra and snapped it in half. My wife grabbled the dog and put a hose in its eye.......the water was running stronger than I'd have done....but I figured by that time, the dog's eye was probably shot already. After much rinsing and drying off, it seemed apparent that the dog would be blind in one eye. The eyeball was recessed.....a lot.....all reddened from the venom and probably from the water hose as well.
Two days later the dog's eye started to improve and it lived several more years after that....both eyes keen on getting any snake that roamed our yard.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » April 16, 2020, 11:05 pm

choi choi wrote:
April 16, 2020, 8:25 pm
My dog fighting with a snake. Although seems not bitten, Has an Eye problem. Eyes watering and blinking I think the snake spat venom at her.
I have bathed the eyes in Bi- carb and water. Anyone had this happen?
Yes we had the same with our girl Rottweiler, she killed the snake then wife took her to the vet opposite SCG she got eye drops and meds 3 days late back to normal.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » April 17, 2020, 2:35 am

One experience i had , ya live and learn , two dogs one rather large snake , went out to help them , no hood so to speak by the time i got around the back the snake had already done the spitting ,so i never saw it , between me and the dogs in runs my golden retriever and snaps it clean into , ( she doesn't usually bother it was only because i got involved ,) next the two dogs started with eye probs , one very bad ,took to vet ,got a "i have no antivenom" was one my own so called the wife who was down in BKK with grandchildren ,she said go see the farmers we knew they knew what to do ,HA ,by the time i got there they'd chewed up some sort of berry and spat it into the dogs eyes , so back home i thought my little dog would lose her eyesight , the other was not as bad and only one eye , so after the panic had settled down ,onto the internet i go , and yes all the info you need is there , for spitting cobra venom wash eyes out with copious amounts of water , three days later my dogs were fine , so after that at quite a few parties over the next few weeks i informed the villagers on the washing out with water , it amazed me they didn't know ,

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 17, 2020, 11:33 am

My dog hates snakes. He has a distinctive bark when he is after a snake. I ran over to where he was barking and a hooded cobra was standing up. I saw it spit in the dog's eyes. Even then the dog refused to give up. The snake was able to get away. I immediately took the dog to a garden hose and thoroughly rinsed out his eyes. I had no idea if he would recover his vision or not. He was pretty much blind for two days. The third day he could see but was blinking a lot. He eventually got better but he is now a lot more cautious how close he gets to any snake. No more trying to kill them. I think that if your dog looks like he got spayed, you should rinse his eyes with water as soon as possible.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » April 17, 2020, 8:01 pm

Thanks for comments guys. Lucy is fine now. Before she could not open eyes and really red. Amazing!
I will lock her in the house next time she sees a snake!
Lucy eyes.jpg

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”