BANGKOK BANK

General Udon Thani topics only!
Whistler
udonmap.com

BANGKOK BANK

Post by Whistler » March 26, 2020, 7:31 am

I transferred money overnight to my account. Went to one of their ATM's this morning to take out sizeable amount. Machine returned my card with error message COMMUNICATIONS ERROR, so I went to other bank ATM and had the same problem. Came back home, checked online and both withdrawals had been taken from account.

After very long wait on help line and one drop out, I finally spoke to customer service. They said there was major computer failure that caused the problem and they would attempt to resolve and return funds by April 7!!!!

I told them that was unacceptable given they admitted computer failure. Obviously call centre guy did not set policy, he was very polite, but what an awful way for this bank to handle a problem of their own making.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: BANGKOK BANK

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 26, 2020, 7:58 am

Whistler wrote:
March 26, 2020, 7:31 am
I transferred money overnight to my account. Went to one of their ATM's this morning to take out sizeable amount. Machine returned my card with error message COMMUNICATIONS ERROR, so I went to other bank ATM and had the same problem. Came back home, checked online and both withdrawals had been taken from account.

After very long wait on help line and one drop out, I finally spoke to customer service. They said there was major computer failure that caused the problem and they would attempt to resolve and return funds by April 7!!!!

I told them that was unacceptable given they admitted computer failure. Obviously call centre guy did not set policy, he was very polite, but what an awful way for this bank to handle a problem of their own making.
The computer BB system was down for several hours yesterday morning.

Sad to say you will be one of many, probably hundreds, if not thousands, that are in the same position and each of the tens of thousands of ATM machines will have to be reconciled before everyone’s transactions get sorted.

You can be sure that something like this is the last thing that BB wanted to happen.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » March 26, 2020, 8:04 am

I had the same problem at 2 different atms yesterday morning but no money was taken from the account.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 26, 2020, 8:37 am

Without a doubt woody, thousands. However, if the banks computer systems fail, they should take any hit, not their customers who were not responsible for the failure.

I think it would be fair to say, all the other banks would have the same approach, but I will still move banks to send a small message.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 26, 2020, 8:50 am

Same here,went to Macro yesterday morning,tryed two times,got same error message...Called BKK Call Center..-Sorry for the inconveience,the money will be back in your account by 15.00 hours...NOT :evil: :evil:

No message on the mobile,nada..and now maybe back 7:th of April :shock: :shock:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 26, 2020, 9:24 am

I would say the safest way to ensure you don't end up out of pocket is to go to the bank, fill out a withdrawal form, and get the cashier to give you cash in hand.
That's assuming you have a Thai bank account of course.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 26, 2020, 9:25 am

Whistler wrote:
March 26, 2020, 8:37 am
Without a doubt woody, thousands. However, if the banks computer systems fail, they should take any hit, not their customers who were not responsible for the failure.
Humm
5000 transactions 20,000 Baht each but the computer outage miss reported, the bank doesn’t confirm and takes a hit and gives out 100,000,000 million immediately. Really!

The first incomplete transaction was not your fault as many people don’t check their balance first, the second without checking was a very bad idea.

Did you check your balance on the machine before trying the second time?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 26, 2020, 10:49 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
March 26, 2020, 9:25 am
Whistler wrote:
As the system was malfunctioning, guess what the outcome was when I tried to check my balance?

The banks systems were malfunctioning between about 10:15pm and 5:25AM this morning. My transactions were recorded between those hours. So reversal of such transactions does not seem unreasonable to me.

ATM's record and return time stamped transaction events, a check of the ATM log would have shown no request to ask for printed slip, and no balance showing as a result. That is what computer logs are there for, to check for errors. What is more, Banking systems record anomalies in exception reports and typically email these, or send a realtime alert to duty operation managers in real time. I believe BKK bank use the Hogan banking system that acts in this way.

I am a computer consultant, a very experienced software designer and have a strong background in financial systems as Vince could testify, we both worked at the same financial institution in London,

I am not an idiot woody, but thanks for the inference. I cant believe some of the smartarses on this forum, add another to the foes list so I don't have to see more drivel.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 26, 2020, 11:15 am

Whistler wrote:
March 26, 2020, 10:49 am
sometimewoodworker wrote:
March 26, 2020, 9:25 am
Whistler wrote:
As the system was malfunctioning, guess what the outcome was when I tried to check my balance?

The banks systems were malfunctioning between about 10:15pm and 5:25AM this morning. My transactions were recorded between those hours. So reversal of such transactions does not seem unreasonable to me.

ATM's record and return time stamped transaction events, a check of the ATM log would have shown no request to ask for printed slip, and no balance showing as a result. That is what computer logs are there for, to check for errors. What is more, Banking systems record anomalies in exception reports and typically email these, or send a realtime alert to duty operation managers in real time. I believe BKK bank use the Hogan banking system that acts in this way.

I am a computer consultant, a very experienced software designer and have a strong background in financial systems as Vince could testify, we both worked at the same financial institution in London,

I am not an idiot woody, but thanks for the inference. I cant believe some of the smartarses on this forum, add another to the foes list so I don't have to see more drivel.
My post was not suggesting that you were an idiot. But it seems that you may have tried to check your balance but proceeded anyway. Given your knowledge that should have told you that there was a high probability of there going to be a second failure.

You will, or should, know that there is not a single failure mode, that sometimes recovery is simple but other times you may have to roll back to an earlier state then add in transactions after that point. Given that the second case may be what happened and the possible high numbers involved a slow return is not very surprising.

That they will likely under promise and over perform specially with the chance that critical staff are absent is not a bad outcome.

The infrastructure and technical expertise in Thailand is not that of one of the main world financial hubs.

I wish more people made use of the less well understood options in the forum SW :-"

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 26, 2020, 11:31 am

Well i tryed two times,each time same error message..so afraid that the ATM would "eat"/keep my ATM Card i didn't check how much money i had left.
When i came home i did,Online.the tranactions was recorded as i would have got the money,but i had not.So no i have to wait until April the 7:th...yeah i think that's littlebit to long to fix the problems,let's hope they can fix that sooner rather the later.

I can't do anything because it's recorded as i don't have any money left on my account..Balance ZERO.

12 days to fix.. :shock: :shock: :shock:

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 26, 2020, 11:31 am

Dubbel post..DELETED.

Armyvet
udonmap.com

Post by Armyvet » March 26, 2020, 1:33 pm

Whistler, your forget where you are. What you are about to do might give you some satisfaction but be sure no one at the bank really cares what you do unless it involves millions of TB. It won't even be noticed.

Armyvet
udonmap.com

Post by Armyvet » March 26, 2020, 1:35 pm

Whistler, you forget where you are. What you are about to do might give you some satisfaction but be sure no one at the bank really cares what you do unless it involves millions of TB. It won't even be noticed.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 26, 2020, 2:06 pm

I have just waited from 29 Nov to 1 Feb for my ENGLISH bank to transfer funds to my Thai a/c and had dozens of conversations being told "sorry it's not our fault" before they finally admitted it Was their fault (having done the same wrong thing 3 TIMES), so I cant say I'm surprised at this thread.

I suspect 7 apr would be a pipedream if it were my English Bank

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 26, 2020, 3:42 pm

The BB network fell over yesterday with ATM's out of action along with the smartphone app. The only system that was up was their bualuang online service (laptop/PC). The app came back online early evening. People who called to report money not being dispensed at ATM's but balances being depleted were being told that the funds would be credited in the evening.

It would appear that they are still struggling getting the ATM side up and running. I did a couple of bualuang online transactions last night without incident.

Whenever I get any sort of ATM message rejecting a transaction on a card, I do NOT re-attempt a transaction on the same ATM or even another machine of the same bank. Only an idiot would do that.

Although I am a long-time BB account holder, based on comments on a couple of forums, their online service and ATM outages seem to be comparatively poor.

I managed to avoid the shambles when Royal Bank of Scotland/NatWest famously bolloxed up a software upgrade that basically shut down counter, online and ATM services for over 10 days with no deposits or withdrawals being possible. I was lucky as it fell during a period when I don't expect deposits or make withdrawals but a whole lot of people who got paid by direct deposit and paid bills by standing order were hit very hard. I hope BB hasn't hired the same software guy!

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » March 27, 2020, 7:29 am

was not just bangkok bank . Yesterday the new pink bank ? atm in my village was doing the same thing . Not giving out the money . do not know if it was deducting it from the peoples account .
My wife has a krung thai bank account so went to nakha and tried to get 20,000 baht out but the money never came out but she received a text message on her phone saying she had withdrawn the amount . She then went to udon to the bank and it had not been deducted so she withdrew it at the counter.
I suggest everyone goes to the bank and withdraws as much as they can , at least enough to last a few months as i think things will only get worse with atms closing banks closing etc.
You can always put it back in later

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 27, 2020, 7:31 am

Last night my money was back in my account..But do i dare to try ATM again??

Have a great day :-)

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 27, 2020, 8:15 am

Used mine yesturday at a Kasikorn ATM , no problems .

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 27, 2020, 8:32 am

saint wrote:
March 27, 2020, 8:15 am
Used mine yesturday at a Kasikorn ATM , no problems .
Well that sounds good "Saint".I will try later today.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » March 27, 2020, 9:12 am

DuiDui49 wrote:
March 27, 2020, 7:31 am
Last night my money was back in my account..But do i dare to try ATM again??

Have a great day :-)
Try a small amount like 100 Baht. If that works go big. If not, go to bank.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”