Blowing into a breathalyzer that was blown into by hundreds of others

General Udon Thani topics only!
rickfarang
udonmap.com

Blowing into a breathalyzer that was blown into by hundreds of others

Post by rickfarang » March 13, 2020, 5:33 pm

Got caught in a alcohol check on the Ring Road and was told to blow into the screening breath analyzer. I did so and only later wondered whether throwing up a roadblock and making all the drivers on the highway blow into the same unsanitary breath analyzer while the government wants people to wear masks, wash their hands frequently, and not touch their face because of the fear of spreading disease is really a good idea.

What would you do if you got caught at an alcohol checkpoint?

An aside:
By the way, the police at the checkpoint were very helpful. The battery clamp had come loose so I could not restart my car, and they were good enough to get the (previously stuck) hood open and find some jumper cables so they could start my car. I thank them for their kind assistance.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Blowing into a breathalyzer that was blown into by hundreds of others

Post by Khun Paul » March 13, 2020, 6:15 pm

Yes a good questioning most countries a separate tube is supplied and fitted for each and every person to blow into the machine. I think that is NOT the case here, I may be wrong, but the time I was asked. I requested a new tube as he ( plod ) only just wiped a cloth over it after the previous person had blown. He did put one on .
I will do a foray and ascertain the actual situation.
The machine itself will not I think transmit any VIRUS , but it will be interesting to see how they deal with enforcement as against public safety re the Virus `.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 14, 2020, 3:52 pm

My very recent experience matches that of my previous 2 encounters over the past 3 years and they have individual, factory-sealed mouthpieces that you have to open before they insert it into the machine with their nitrile-rubber gloved hands. They also should point out the calibration sticker on the actual alco-meter before they test you. If they don't do that automatically, ask them to show it to you. If they have neither sterile mouthpieces or a calibrated machine, it's time to phone-a-friend.

Some traffic stops have the wand type that they shove in your face and may have been blown into by other drivers. Refuse this politely, tell them you'll park up and do it with the calibrated clean machine instead. Again, if they have neither, then proceed as above.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 14, 2020, 4:16 pm

I personally would refuse to blow into the breathalyzer with the current situation with Covid 19 ,, last time i was pulled they had a quick test machine that just said if any alcohol was detected and if it reg a red light you had to go to another guy who gave another machine which measured the actual amount of alcohol. Either machine i would say no stone cold sober.. health minister pushing face masks and hand washing everywhere yet its ok to get yer smackers round something thats been blow hundreds of time previously .. and we all know how dirty all the farangs are !!!!

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 14, 2020, 5:54 pm

Last time I was stopped for breathalyzer in Udon, I just had to blow at the machine. One light came on if I blew enough air, then there was a red light for alcohol presence. I never touched the machine.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 14, 2020, 6:47 pm

I saw a segment on the Thai early morning news the other day showing cops stopping people for a breathalyzer check and giving them a big straw to blow through into the machine.. Yeah, a big straw like you'd get in a bubble tea.. Don't know if that would impact on the ability of the machine to to its job and I''m not sure that it would be any more sanitary if some previous gomer had blown a wad of sputum into the machine and you were unlucky enough to inhale before exhaling into the straw!! \:D/
Dave

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 14, 2020, 7:59 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
March 14, 2020, 6:47 pm
I saw a segment on the Thai early morning news the other day showing cops stopping people for a breathalyzer check and giving them a big straw to blow through into the machine.. Yeah, a big straw like you'd get in a bubble tea.. Don't know if that would impact on the ability of the machine to to its job and I''m not sure that it would be any more sanitary if some previous gomer had blown a wad of sputum into the machine and you were unlucky enough to inhale before exhaling into the straw!! \:D/

Dont know why but when i read this word it made me laugh well more like a snigger .. maybe should start a new thread

WORDS THAT MAKE YOU TITTER

Dm

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 15, 2020, 5:53 pm

DM you really need to expand your vocabulary! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputum
Dave

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 15, 2020, 6:00 pm

Best story I have so far.

Guy I was chatting to in Nong Wau So in Pattaya about a year ago blew well over. Negotiated fine down from 40,000 to 20,000. Then he looked at cop and said I am out of town, no ATM's here. Cop led him to a van parked in nearby pull in. Opened side door and there was an ATM in the van.

Fine paid, he was given back his keys and rode home
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 15, 2020, 6:21 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 15, 2020, 6:00 pm

Guy I was chatting to in Nong Wau So in Pattaya about a year ago blew well over. Negotiated fine down from 40,000 to 20,000. Then he looked at cop and said I am out of town, no ATM's here. Cop led him to a van parked in nearby pull in. Opened side door and there was an ATM in the van.

Yes keys back and he rode home STILL DRUNK, Clever cop and even stupider farang

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » March 15, 2020, 6:37 pm

Here's my breathalyzer story. Told to me by a Khon Kaen resident. No idea if it's true or not.

Falang gets stopped by the police, fails the breathalyzer badly. Well pissed. They put him in a police car with the intention of driving him to the police station. First policeman gets in his car with the intention of driving it to the police station. After a few seconds he gets out and a second policeman gets in. He gets out and a third policeman gets in, He jumps out and goes over to the Falang and tells him that he has to follow them to the police station in his car as none of them knew how to drive a manual car. :shock:

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » March 15, 2020, 7:16 pm

Galee wrote:
March 15, 2020, 6:37 pm
Here's my breathalyzer story. Told to me by a Khon Kaen resident. No idea if it's true or not.

Falang gets stopped by the police, fails the breathalyzer badly. Well pissed. They put him in a police car with the intention of driving him to the police station. First policeman gets in his car with the intention of driving it to the police station. After a few seconds he gets out and a second policeman gets in. He gets out and a third policeman gets in, He jumps out and goes over to the Falang and tells him that he has to follow them to the police station in his car as none of them knew how to drive a manual car. :shock:
555! Classic!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 15, 2020, 9:30 pm

Whistler wrote:

I would hazzard a guess thats pure fiction .. police atm vans WALOFB.. nowadays its done by smart phone.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 16, 2020, 8:27 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 15, 2020, 9:30 pm
Whistler wrote:

I would hazzard a guess thats pure fiction .. police atm vans WALOFB.. nowadays its done by smart phone.
Maybe so DM, I repeated as told to me. I would also suggest that if the payment was somewhat irregular, cash would be preferred.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 19, 2020, 12:21 pm

Okay,m went to the Police and asked the question about Breath Tests, considering the current situation.
Apparently there are two machines, one you blow into, and one you put in your mouth to blow.
The first one if offered, you can refuse and go the officiating officer, at his table he will have the other one which will have a NEW tube fitted for you . If the one offered to you art the road SIDE IS THE ONE WHEERE YOU PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH YOU CAN ASK FOR A NEW CLEAN TUBE.

Now having said all that be careful how you deal with this, at first they ( the RETP ) did not understand my concerns, but once explain, they got it, suggested that all Roadside checks will have the newer machines, AKA same as most European including the UK have.

Note to all, calibration is the important fact for the correct use and reading of these machines, I am not saying anything but doubtful if they are calibrated according to manufacturers instructions, each and every month . best advice do not drink and drive, do not give them the chance to get any money off you

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 19, 2020, 12:33 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 19, 2020, 12:21 pm
Okay,m went to the Police and asked the question about Breath Tests, considering the current situation.
Apparently there are two machines, one you blow into, and one you put in your mouth to blow.
The first one if offered, you can refuse and go the officiating officer, at his table he will have the other one which will have a NEW tube fitted for you . If the one offered to you art the road SIDE IS THE ONE WHEERE YOU PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH YOU CAN ASK FOR A NEW CLEAN TUBE.

Now having said all that be careful how you deal with this, at first they ( the RETP ) did not understand my concerns, but once explain, they got it, suggested that all Roadside checks will have the newer machines, AKA same as most European including the UK have.

Note to all, calibration is the important fact for the correct use and reading of these machines, I am not saying anything but doubtful if they are calibrated according to manufacturers instructions, each and every month . best advice do not drink and drive, do not give them the chance to get any money off you
Why do you think the machines will not be calibrated as to the instructions ? and calibration works both ways .offering an inaccurate reading which can be of course high or low .. you could always demand to see the last equipment calibration certificate at the police station .. :shock: :-#

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 19, 2020, 5:08 pm

Well you certainly could aask for the calibration certificate, but I doubt if they will
a understand what you are asking
b, unless you are challenging the result you will never get it.

Which would mean that in the next hour you have a test you will also have another test by a fully calibrated machine which would be acceptable to the RTP, which I doubt here
Often when working Custody in the UK had lawyers come down to see the test results and maintenance of a machine.

Plus a rep[ort albeit a few years old was made showing that nearly 40 odd % of Breath test machines here were flawed, really do not expect anything different today, so I give NO opportunity for them to ask and if they do I answer NO, not drinking alcohol

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » March 23, 2020, 8:00 pm

Thank you for checking that out.

By the way, the reason I was pulled over to take the accurate test (as opposed to screening) is because I had put rubbing alcohol on my itching arms and the machine must have picked it up. That was the second time rubbing alcohol on my body triggered a secondary test.

All of those using sanitizing hand gel or alcohol externally beware.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”