Gloom and doom or sum num na

General Udon Thani topics only!
Armyvet
udonmap.com

Gloom and doom or sum num na

Post by Armyvet » February 26, 2020, 10:21 am

Excuse the poor spelling translation. Is there such a thing as karma? I don't know but for those who believe I wonder how this stacks up. We foreigners, I hate that word farang, who reside here and often feel unloved and unwanted by the Thai gov't and Immigration should be considering these facts. We may not bring in the most money but it is pretty consistent. Where are the Chinese now along with the other tourists who are catered to short of getting their butts kissed in public. In spite of the boats sinking, cheating and outright theft along with the current health problems we are here providing financial support that is no doubt going a long way to keeping a bad situation from getting worse. This past week I have spoken with our friend in CM who is a vendor in the night bazaar and another that owns the small hotel where we stay during our 3 or 4 trips a year and the picture they paint is dark. Maybe the powers that be will take another look at us in a friendlier way and make our stay easier and more comfortable instead of wondering what is coming at us next. The mask incident and the feeble apology appears to be an example of the contempt directed at foreigners yet they need us as much or more than the tourists.

joudon
udonmap.com

Re: Gloom and doom or sum num na

Post by joudon » February 26, 2020, 10:44 am

I would not hold your breath waiting for this current adminstration lightening up on us 'foreigners' as you put it.
Since the army took control, the richest Thai families who ultimately control the country , have seen their wealth vastly increased. They have never cared for the poorer, poorest Thais. The money the Farangs bring in, IMO goes in at the bottom, i.e. The working Thais, struggling to make out. In the last 10 or so years this group have been plunged back into debt. Reason being, if you are struggling to feed the family, you do not have time and money to go to BKK to protest injustices. If the Farang were to disappear completely, the ruling elite would not so much as shed a tear, because without Farang money the poor will just be poorer and easier to manipulate and abuse.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 26, 2020, 11:00 am

Pass me the bloody razor blades ..

Two very differing opinions ...bottom line is theres naff all expats can do to change things other than like it lump it or move on.

What a lovely morning it is here in Thailands sunny North Eastern Provinces , first rain expected next week if the world as we know it hasnt ended.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » February 26, 2020, 11:04 am

joudon wrote:
February 26, 2020, 10:44 am
I would not hold your breath waiting for this current adminstration lightening up on us 'foreigners' as you put it.
Since the army took control, the richest Thai families who ultimately control the country , have seen their wealth vastly increased. They have never cared for the poorer, poorest Thais. The money the Farangs bring in, IMO goes in at the bottom, i.e. The working Thais, struggling to make out. In the last 10 or so years this group have been plunged back into debt. Reason being, if you are struggling to feed the family, you do not have time and money to go to BKK to protest injustices. If the Farang were to disappear completely, the ruling elite would not so much as shed a tear, because without Farang money the poor will just be poorer and easier to manipulate and abuse.
You tell it like it is.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 26, 2020, 11:10 am

I think that in a macro sense, we long term farang stayers vastly overestimate our importance to both the economy, and social fabric, of our chosen home.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » February 26, 2020, 11:38 am

Correct, however I love living in Thailand despite all the perceived 'downs'. The pluses IMO, Food, Climate, Local people, vibrant multi national expat community. To cap it as a Brit. I am happy to live here as a second class citizen, rather than UK , where I am probably 4 th class. 55555.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » February 26, 2020, 11:42 am

joudon wrote:
Correct, our money or what we bring into Thailand is a mere drop in the Ocean, compared to that of the Elite

The world is moving towards the Rich getting Richer and the Poor getting Poorer and the so called middle class shrinking.

That is exactly what the Elite wish and desire

Watch the move "In Time" with Justin Timberlake, where those in the future have to earn the time each day, simply to live. Yes it may well be a movie, now, but fast forward 100 years :-k Are we so far removed from the reality of this!

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » February 26, 2020, 12:06 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
February 26, 2020, 11:42 am
joudon wrote:
Correct, our money or what we bring into Thailand is a mere drop in the Ocean, compared to that of the Elite

The world is moving towards the Rich getting Richer and the Poor getting Poorer and the so called middle class shrinking.

That is exactly what the Elite wish and desire

Watch the move "In Time" with Justin Timberlake, where those in the future have to earn the time each day, simply to live. Yes it may well be a movie, now, but fast forward 100 years :-k Are we so far removed from the reality of this!

pipoz4444
It's already upon us. With no companies offering pensions any longer, social security being in the situation it's in, only a little over half of the population here being able to invest in the stock market, and Banks offering s*** for CDs and money market accounts, the next 10 to 20 years don't look very promising here. The middle class is on its deathbed here in the States and the status of classes that people will be labeled will be no different in the way it is in Thailand right now.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » February 26, 2020, 12:42 pm

The late nineteenth century writings of Marx and Engles spelt it out clearly then. To control a country you have to eradicate the middle classes. In any system there will be rich and poor, even marxist states. Middle classes are feared by the elite for their knowledge and determination to strive for a better life. It tookme 10 years in Thailand to realise the corruption of the elite was the same in UK, just hidden better

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » February 26, 2020, 8:16 pm

jackspratt wrote:
February 26, 2020, 11:10 am
I think that in a macro sense, we long term farang stayers vastly overestimate our importance to both the economy, and social fabric, of our chosen home.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> So true .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 26, 2020, 10:28 pm

So now we're all agreed on how inconsequential we are, maybe we can punt this thread into General Debates where it should have been anyway. I mean one simply can't get enough "doom n gloom" and "they don't like us" threads.

Armyvet
udonmap.com

Post by Armyvet » April 4, 2020, 11:42 am

My original post, as typical, brought all the negative, expert responses expected so again I will mention what I was trying to say before. We foreigners are mostly still here with our measly incomes buying groceries, paying utilities, buying gas, cars, m/c and everything needed to support a family or lifestyle and entertainment. It may not compete with tourist money but they aren't here now are they and aren't coming anytime soon. In fact if they brought the virus it is going to cost the gov't a hell of a lot more in the long run to recover. Amounts of 40-65,000 TB are a godsend to many family s and businesses. Don't under estimate our value. The gov't may have but now is a good time for them to take a second look along with the nay sayers.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 4, 2020, 11:53 am

And the Indian's, Pakistani's, Bangladeshi's and Burmese will beg for the return of the British Raj?

Hey! DM! You got any razor blades left?

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 4, 2020, 12:16 pm

Sorry, no one really gives a rats about us lot..we are a mere grain of sand on the beach that is the local population..I would like it if the powers that be were grateful for my daily caring for a family of their nationals, but blow it out the other ear. You are only here for as long as the whim takes them..we are only but one half rung higher than a lowly Tourist at Hellfire P. Its all understandable. My lot back home are the same when it comes to outsiders..I just soldier on, keep me head down, bow and smile, and enjoy my simple existence snuggled up to alluring contotont..may bliss rain forever...

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » April 4, 2020, 12:19 pm

Armyvet wrote:
April 4, 2020, 11:42 am
My original post, as typical, brought all the negative, expert responses expected so again I will mention what I was trying to say before. We foreigners are mostly still here with our measly incomes buying groceries, paying utilities, buying gas, cars, m/c and everything needed to support a family or lifestyle and entertainment. It may not compete with tourist money but they aren't here now are they and aren't coming anytime soon. In fact if they brought the virus it is going to cost the gov't a hell of a lot more in the long run to recover. Amounts of 40-65,000 TB are a godsend to many family s and businesses. Don't under estimate our value. The gov't may have but now is a good time for them to take a second look along with the nay sayers.
Yes. I can agree with your view. The majority of the ones who live here and have families and follow laws and report to immigration on time were never the problem.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 4, 2020, 12:44 pm

tamada wrote:
April 4, 2020, 11:53 am
And the Indian's, Pakistani's, Bangladeshi's and Burmese will beg for the return of the British Raj?

Hey! DM! You got any razor blades left?
Looking in from the outside its pretty obvious from recent years and the the Brexit debacle that Britain struggles to rule its self properly never mind taking back all the above mentioned citizens former colonies of the Great British Empire... even if it would make curry prices lower and see the charwala make a return .

Still trying to make the Jocks toe the line .. :lol: :lol:

REF THE RAZOR BLADES ..im a crack waxer Tam ..also a BIC guy .. as in Because Im Cute

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”