Can Nationwide VISA Debit cards...

General Udon Thani topics only!
fredwilliams
udonmap.com

Can Nationwide VISA Debit cards...

Post by fredwilliams » February 17, 2020, 1:31 am

...be used "as is" at ATMs and in stores in T'land?

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Can Nationwide VISA Debit cards...

Post by Stantheman » February 17, 2020, 2:39 am

Depends on network bank is connected to, but most are in Thailand. But I have never had a problem with my Bank of America VISA debit card as long as I notify bank of my trip to Thailand. One time I did not notify the ATM declined. Also some ATM'S now require 6 digit pin. I have read if 6 digit pin required some ATM'S will accept by adding 00 to end of 4 digit pin.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » February 17, 2020, 6:33 am

On ccasions I have used my Barclays and Nationwide debit cards in thai atms with my 4 digit pin. Never a problem

fredwilliams
udonmap.com

Post by fredwilliams » February 17, 2020, 8:27 am

Thanks, Stan and Joudon.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » February 17, 2020, 9:34 am

I have always used my Nationwide cards here never a problem. Accessing the account is also super easy with their excellent card reader system.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » February 18, 2020, 7:49 am

Their new rules to access via card reader is a real pain, undersand for money transfers but to just check accounts totally over the top

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 18, 2020, 12:22 pm

Cannot use at Farmers bank and some of the larger discount grocery places. Used OK at Tesco-Lotus, Global House, House Pro etc. Beware some ATM like machines, some of the pink ones are for loan purposes only, took me a few months on one occasion to get my card replaced and money back.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » March 12, 2021, 5:23 am

A quick bump on this. Has anyone had a recent problem using a foreign debit card in Thailand with a 4 digit Pin in a major bank ATM such as Bangkok Bank?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 12, 2021, 6:58 am

UK issued, VISA debit card with 4-digit PIN accepted at Kasikorn in Central last week.

It has also been accepted at Bangkok Bank next door (who I bank with) but I find their network connection at Central can fail with the transaction rejected and false "contact your bank" message.

I only use my overseas debit cards in specific machines at a specific busy branch. Avoid using hole-in-the-wall ATM's such as at 7-elevens in case card gets "eaten" and to avoid skimming devices. I used to do this while working and living in Bangkok and Pattaya and do the same up here.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » March 12, 2021, 9:21 am

Thanks Tam, good to know as always have the wife take a spare U.S. ATM card when she travels to Thailand

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 12, 2021, 11:37 am

Stantheman wrote:
March 12, 2021, 9:21 am
Thanks Tam, good to know as always have the wife take a spare U.S. ATM card when she travels to Thailand
I have a Bank of America VISA, 4-digit PIN debit card that hasn't seen the inside of any foreign ATM in ages. Several years ago, they offered the ability through their online banking to set overseas travel dates and a list of countries where the card could be expected to be used. I think that functionality is also enabled in their smartphone app along with the option to disable cards completely for selected date ranges. The NatWest and RBS (UK) smartphone banking app allows one to 'turn off' their cards temporarily too, maybe Barclays as well?

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » March 12, 2021, 12:51 pm

minimiglia wrote:
February 18, 2020, 7:49 am
Their new rules to access via card reader is a real pain, undersand for money transfers but to just check accounts totally over the top
I agree! I used to use a Passcode (Barclays) ...so easy. Then for some reason they stop me using it
"for security reasons". Now have to use card reader every time. When card reader conks out what to do?
Like I'm not in UK! nip in the bank get new one!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 12, 2021, 1:13 pm

choi choi wrote:
March 12, 2021, 12:51 pm
minimiglia wrote:
February 18, 2020, 7:49 am
I agree! I used to use a Passcode (Barclays) ...so easy. Then for some reason they stop me using it
"for security reasons". Now have to use card reader every time. When card reader conks out what to do?
Like I'm not in UK! nip in the bank get new one!
Is this for Barclays online banking? I haven't logged in on the computer for over a year as I find the smartphone app does most of the things I need to do. I don't recall needing the card reader just to log in. Maybe that's changed?

TBH, I never liked their card reader system compared with that of RBS and Natwest. Barclay's seemed to have too many options and extra buttons rather than just providing a simple OTP for verifying online transactions after one has logged in.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 12, 2021, 8:19 pm

Crikey, are those card reader things still used?
I have accounts with Lloyds, Santander, First Direct, Halifax & Goldman Sachs & they all involve registering my device on first log in with an OTP sent to my mobile. I can then do anything I want with just passwords & memorable info with the exception of one transaction type with Santander which needs another OTP to my mobile if paying TransferWise(Wise)
Card readers went out with dial up internet didn’t they?
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 12, 2021, 9:29 pm

Unfortunately card readers are still part and parcel of SOME banks online (computer) banking experience. Those that migrated faster to smartphone banking apps or invested more in that technology maybe have the edge. Barclays obviously didn't.

Another piss poor bank is NatWest who allow me to "do everything" on their smartphone app... except forex transactions. That's only possible with their online (computer) banking and a bloody card reader. PITA but I'm not about to try and swap UK banks on these late innings.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 12, 2021, 9:49 pm

tamada wrote:
March 12, 2021, 9:29 pm
PITA but I'm not about to try and swap UK banks on these late innings.
The 7 day switch guarantee can be done on line & is really easy.
One of the main reasons I have so many different accounts is I used to keep switching for the introductory bonuses. Shame they haven’t been around for a while along with decent interest rates
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”