Help please

General Udon Thani topics only!
Photoman
udonmap.com

Help please

Post by Photoman » January 7, 2020, 1:00 pm

Hi
We have a small inner city house on government water , which gas been fine until now . I noticed against the white of the basin the water is now a pale brown , the water comes from the meter to resin tank , and is then pumped into the house taps , showers and wc's .

What would be the cheapest best way to over come this , just to add we do not intend to drink the water .

Thank you in advance for your help.
Roy

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Re: Help please

Post by RLTrader » January 7, 2020, 1:42 pm

You could try bring a sample to the water works, I've been told. My problem water looks clean, except 5 micron filter clogs after a couple of days, which is now a brown color, and bottom of tank has brown crud, same for toilet tanks.
I'm on the West side. When lived on East side, only had sand on bottom of tank. Good luck.

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » January 7, 2020, 2:20 pm

I would start by cleaning out the tank then take a sample of what the supplied water looks like, sounds like you need a filter, how fine a filter depends on how clean you want the water to be.

Photoman
udonmap.com

Post by Photoman » January 7, 2020, 3:03 pm

RL Trader : I may do that , thank you for your time .

Airportwo: I haven't a clue of where to start to clean the tank or even look for some one to do the job . Where would the best place to , a) Get advice and b) get a reasonable quote .
Thank you for your time .

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » January 7, 2020, 4:40 pm

Photoman wrote:
January 7, 2020, 3:03 pm

Airportwo: I haven't a clue of where to start to clean the tank or even look for some one to do the job . Where would the best place to , a) Get advice and b) get a reasonable quote .
Thank you for your time .
If your into DIY
Stop the feed into tank
When the tank is close to the feed to house (empty), there is a plug under tank, screw it out, think maybe ½ wrench or adjustable. After drained, hose it down. I spray cleaner on the walls and hose again. Replace plug (just might need thread tape) and fill tank, check for leaks.

Note: you might be wondering how can I hose it down, since the tank is empty?

Good question that's what the faucet is for, plus I have another on the pump side along with a feed to bypass the tank.

Not into DIY
There should be someone in your area who will be glad to do the above for a couple hundred baht, maybe have him install a faucet before it enters the tank. Have a thai wife/friend in ur area ask around and explain what ur looking to do.

But the above does not solve your problem.

I have a faucet before it enters the tank which I can draw a bottle full to check the quality. This is what you would need to get a sample to take to water works, or something similar. Here is a picture
20200107_161959.jpg
hope this helps

Photoman
udonmap.com

Post by Photoman » January 13, 2020, 5:46 pm

Hi RLTrader
Thank you so much for being so helpfull , I had no control when the tank was fitted , so mine is at this moment directly on the floor , with I assume it's resting on the drain plug .
Until I can increase the gap underneath , could I put a filter as shown in your photo before the water goes into the house .

I don't drink this water only shower and shave .

Also where would I find single filter like yours .
Cheers
Roy

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » January 13, 2020, 6:39 pm

so mine is at this moment directly on the floor

Hmm, so it has no legs? Might want to post a picture.

But sure think the input is on the top, so would think you could install an inline filter.

Filter : I bought many, many years ago at Global House, would think any of those type of supplier's would have the same.
or maybe find on Lazada, that's where I find my filter carts, they sell many (10, 15) together for a much cheaper price. Another words what you would pay at say Global House for one, you get ten, and since mine clog easily, you just might stop using them.

Interesting to see a picture.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10-wa ... a&search=1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/clean ... 1&cid=3740

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 14, 2020, 6:05 am

it is normal you will have to clean a water tank regularly depending the quality of supplied water , the purpose of a water tank is also to let the incoming water rest so any residue in the water can sink to the bottom and will normally stay there until you empty and clean it ....mounting a polypropylene based filter before the water tank supply will only result in fast clogging , these filters should be used after the tank , also never use clear water filter housing as they intend to get green quickly from the sun light , best filters used before tank fill are the activated carbon ones (not 10",too small, but min 20"), and resin in case of hard water , fe https://www.lazada.co.th/products/stk-a ... 4&search=1 or this type https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wtrg- ... 4664424797
any other filtering if needed can be done afterwards....as info .. ;)
extra tip about PP filters : you can sometimes buy the 20" filters cheaper and cut them in 2 in case you have the 10"housing fe https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pp-20 ... I&search=1
or https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pp-cl ... I&search=1
prices also on lazada jumping up and down like a yoyo.. ;)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 14, 2020, 7:15 am

I have only the Stainless steel tanks, they have advantages the NEW Plastic ones do not, the water taken from the steel tanks output is approximately 5/6 inches above the bottom which has a drain hole located there, with careful positioning a drain pipe can be inserted with a stop valve to ease cleaning an emptying .
It also allows ALL the sediment to drop to the bottom before entering the house pipework . I clean mine about every two years, but I add , I have three tanks which allows any tank to stand for 2/4 days depending on usage before using it.

The plastic ones I note their water outlet is at base level hence allowing the water to stand to clear the sediment is rather pointless as then you will have wet sediment until that is cleared.
I noticed that when I came here and refused to buy plastic tanks , also so often with some of the pipework inside a tanks you lose control of some of the functions hoping like hell the manufacturer did not make a mistake .

I would add that to date only one of the tanks I use has had any problems with it, easily solved, that is 16 years of continual usage , plus the water comes through HOT during the day and retains most of the heat during the night except in the winter months here .

PS: I only have a filter fitted to the main input to the garden pump as that water comes from my rainfall tanks and not from a company

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 14, 2020, 7:25 am

The plastic ones I note their water outlet is at base level, correct , easy way to fix is making a small L connection with strainer on top at the same opening inside the tank making the water suction about 30cm(choose the height) from bottom level to avoid the dirt to come out....so always buy a tank with a big(wide) lid :D

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » January 14, 2020, 9:11 am

^ All the "plastic" tanks I have seen, the inlet is on the bottom, but they are top filling as if you look inside the pipe runs to the top of the tank, if the tank was to fill from bottom it would have to overcome the hydrostatic pressure in the tank.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » January 14, 2020, 2:39 pm

Airportwo wrote:
January 14, 2020, 9:11 am
^ All the "plastic" tanks I have seen, the inlet is on the bottom, but they are top filling as if you look inside the pipe runs to the top of the tank, if the tank was to fill from bottom it would have to overcome the hydrostatic pressure in the tank.
Hmm, with my tank and setup can fill from bottom when needed, like when water pressure coming in is not enough to clime to the top. But it defeats the shutoff. Did it a few times.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”