Bangkok and Back

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Bangkok and Back

Post by parrot » January 6, 2020, 7:58 pm

Rather than muck up someone else's thread (about Thai Smile problems), I'll recap my 9 hour trip to Bangkok to have an oil and filter change done on my hearing aids.
Nok Air 7:30AM to Bangkok. Checked in online 24 hr before, left my house 25 minutes before boarding time and went through security just as the flight was boarding. Used pink ID to get through security. Plane was full and took off on time.
Air Asia 17:15 flight back to Udon. Again checked in online and used pink ID to go through security. Flight was full and took off on time.
Lots of sugarcane fires in the Kumphawaphi area as we were approaching Udon.

Because I had a few hours to kill in the morning, I took the A2 bus from DM to Victory Monument. 35 Baht, AC. A taxi would probably have gotten there only 10 minutes or so sooner.

Bangkok taxis are still a bargain. Took 3 taxis during the course of the day, never an issue with meters.

There's a Royal Project store nearby the clinic I visit. I popped in just before 11. The veggie shelves were mostly empty. Udonites, count your blessings.

Parked my truck in the shade all day, 200 Baht. Was someone complaining about paying for parking at the airport??

Count me as one who doesn't consider Bangkok polluted. All the taxis are converted as are some of the buses. Most all the motorcycles are 4 stroke. The belching 10 wheel trucks and buses are long gone. Now there are hybrid Yamaha scooters and motorcycles on the road. I don't like the city because it's got a gazillion people......but everywhere I walked today, I thought the air and areas were clean.

Back in the saddle less than 12 hours after I left. Mission accomplished.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Bangkok and Back

Post by parrot » January 9, 2020, 3:32 pm

Apparently my rose colored glasses are in need of a change in prescription. The past few days have seen a number of articles in the press about the pollution hazards in Bangkok. When I was there on Monday, even in the middle of the city, the air and sky seemed clear and fresh. Not fresh like at our home in the countryside, but not nasty as I remember in years' past. Apparently the masses (and those monitoring the pollution) don't agree with my assessment. Twenty lashes!
https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/ea ... ir-quality

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 9, 2020, 3:53 pm

It's a different pollution now parrot.. In our days of visiting smog filled DM airport and gasping for breath when walking out of the door, you could see/feel/taste the smog , but now its how many microplastic particles (apparently from modern clothes) are in the air

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 9, 2020, 4:23 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
January 9, 2020, 3:53 pm
It's a different pollution now parrot.. In our days of visiting smog filled DM airport and gasping for breath when walking out of the door, you could see/feel/taste the smog , but now its how many microplastic particles (apparently from modern clothes) are in the air
Thanks. That might explain the clear air

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » January 10, 2020, 9:01 am

INFO: Pollution levels this morning at 08:30:
BKK pollution 183, pm 2.5 = 117
Udon pollution 154, pm 2.5 = 60
Have a safe clean-air day

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”