Dangers of the Jungle

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Dangers of the Jungle

Post by parrot » December 29, 2019, 3:17 pm

Not for the faint of heart:
Some Voice of America friends of ours gave us their cockatoo parrot when they relocated back to the US. We had it for many years....kept it outdoors without any problems, until one day my wife and dog were walking by. My wife had a bamboo pole in her hand, and the parrot was spooked and flew down to the ground....where out dog swiftly grabbed it by the neck. That was that.
We replaced the cockatoo with an Alexandrine parakeet which we kept in the same cage as the cockatoo. Big cage, plenty of room to roam. It was big enough for the parakeet to stick its head out, but not big enough to escape. Ten years go by.
A few nights ago, in the middle of the night, my wife hears a blood curdling screech......she thought it was two cats fighting. The noise didn't last long. Back to sleep.
I awoke in the morning and went to feed our bird. Its body was in the cage.....the head was gone, but its neck innards remained along with the body.
Our neighbor said he had seen a large owl in the neighborhood at night....probably hunting mice and other small animals.
We can't be for certain, but we suspect the owl frightened the parakeet, the parakeet stuck its head out of the cage, and the owl decapitated it while trying to fly away with its meal.
Our cat and parakeet were buds. Not so, apparently with the village owl.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

mak
udonmap.com

Re: Dangers of the Jungle

Post by mak » December 31, 2019, 11:12 am

It could have been one of these.
Attachments
Bat.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 31, 2019, 11:47 am

Looks like some sort of chupacabra, but I can't quite make it out. What is it?

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » December 31, 2019, 11:58 am

Bat.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 31, 2019, 6:35 pm

We've got plenty of them where we live. They swoop around our porches at night chasing mosquitoes. The parrot wasn't a pretty sight when I went to feed it in the morning.....head and neck skin gone with the body and neck innards on the floor of the cage. Poor birdie.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 31, 2019, 9:47 pm

mak wrote:
December 31, 2019, 11:12 am
It could have been one of these.
Highly unlikely.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » January 1, 2020, 10:21 am

could of been a Tokay ive seen one catch a mynah bird by the head then bang it against the wall to kill it,it then took it up into the roof space,heres one in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4JBeUV6uvk

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 1, 2020, 11:50 am

You know here I have found almost anything will if hungry enough will eat anything, IU seriously though about having an Aviary ion the back garden, but was warned by my Thai neighbour , birds will not last long, Snakes, Rats, Tuckays among some 0f the animals which will view a caged bird a free meal provided by that nice human. I have seen brids collectively attacking snakes, Ants dealing with an undesirable large BUG, in some cases I am glad I am human their ferocity and sheer singlemindness is something to see.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”