Udon Traffic

General Udon Thani topics only!
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Traffic

Post by Khun Paul » July 11, 2021, 3:06 pm

See that they have eventually concreted another section between Non Sai traffic lights towards Big C, the complicated part will be the marrying up of this new widened road with the current junction road surface. Stay clear unless you8 have no other options available is my guess for the next couple of months`.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 11, 2021, 3:13 pm

I haven't seen a road construction project in the Udon area that doesn't have the ubiquitous blue sign showing the budget and the timelines for the project. I don't travel the eastern ring road all that often.....haven't seen such a sign, but I'll guess it's out there somewhere. If anyone has a photo, I'll translate and post.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 11, 2021, 3:37 pm

I found an article spelling out the construction on the eastern ring road: due to be complete 19 Aug 2022.
https://udontoday.co/161163/

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » July 11, 2021, 3:55 pm

parrot wrote:
July 11, 2021, 3:37 pm
I found an article spelling out the construction on the eastern ring road: due to be complete 19 Aug 2022.
https://udontoday.co/161163/
So it will be at least another year before completion :(

Other interesting takeaways:

That part of ring road is estimated to accommodate 22,533 vehicles pass/day, 14.26% being heavy trucks.

And the total cost is approximately 363 million baht which they claim is cheap :)

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 11, 2021, 4:49 pm

I still dont understand how it will increase the flow of traffic. I was expecting underground passes (as seen in Chnag Mai) at the stop lights so traffic would have a continuos movement. But I guess I was wrong

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 11, 2021, 5:48 pm

Doodoo wrote:
July 11, 2021, 4:49 pm
I still dont understand how it will increase the flow of traffic. I was expecting underground passes (as seen in Chnag Mai) at the stop lights so traffic would have a continuos movement. But I guess I was wrong
Yes one would think the removal of traffic lights would speed up traffic, with long correctly designed slip roads and over and under passes where appropriate , sadlyas we all know so well logical planning is in its infancy here , just look at ( using and Americanism here ) the clusterfuck which is the Eeastern Ring road widening scheme.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 11, 2021, 6:04 pm

"( using and Americanism here ) the clusterfuck which is the Eeastern Ring road widening scheme."

To be fair it's not had far to travel from Vietnam to Udon ring road :lol:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 11, 2021, 6:13 pm

Always trying to compare developed countries to developing.......during my 13 month marooning in a big city in Texas last year, I got to witness several major road construction projects. The good news was most were completed before vaccinations became the norm......the bad news was road widening/detours/drainage projects in the middle of the road aren't fun, I'd guess anywhere in the world, developed or not. The eastern ring road was a traffic nightmare....before construction. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the new lanes will make life easier once all's said and done.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 12, 2021, 1:40 pm

The light controlled crossing just before the army hospital on the northbound Thahan Road is stuck on red.

a bit further along there’s also a big police roadblock making 3 into 1 lanes by Wing23. They only seem to be pulling bikes & commercial vehicles
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 13, 2021, 1:59 pm

AND IT ALL SEEMED TO BE GOING SO WELL !!!!!!

Concrete cutters are here slicing through the NEW nearside inbound concreted road at love junction ... so it appears repairs needed before it finished or MAYBE some sort of divider barrier being cut out time will tell.. its safe to say this is going into overtime.

Cant make head n tail whats happening with the inner frontage /slip road which is more or less blocked off unless on a motorbike or you own a Mars rover style vehicle...lots of measuring marking but not a lot of owt else.

Heads up the whole area is pitch black at night zero lighting is not good..

On another subject .. a few more roadies added but no masks and all drinking out the same communal cup :shock:

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 13, 2021, 3:46 pm

Prajak Circle is completely gridlocked. We started queuing before Soi Jintakarm on Thahan Road before we realised how bad it was.
When we eventually got to the roundabout it looked like road works on Sri Suk Road & vehicles blocking the flow when they couldn’t exit this way.

In other news, I just traversed the intersection of lurrrvve anti clockwise one handed while scoffing a delicious PF kebab. It’s doable 👍
All was well until the cheap ass foil collapsed causing me to hastily pull in front of Accoustic to prevent getting covered in sauce. Not the roadworks fault 👎

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 14, 2021, 10:17 am

Surprising very busy traffic this morning at Paradise Intersection .. alas the twot with the concrete cutter is back along two buddies jack hammering out a section of the NEW inbound paved road surface .. i did ask why and subject to hearing and translation difficulties it appears .. they forgot to leave a section not concreted where a pipe needs to go ( lerm sai tor) surely an oversight by upper management :shock:
Lots of bodies on site ... many working on the inner frontage /slip road and now making the slip road / entrance into Romyen village starting opposite Accoustic pub ..thus little or no entry/exit to the car park AGAIN.

Its very dangerous at night .. zero lighting ..not even temporary... waking up to blow outs , squashed bollards and skid marks is the norm now.... and that goes for the road works too :lol: :lol:

I thought things were going to smooth but at least Woollies window passers by are safe from my earlier arse show promise

Defo not July and some are saying ONLY MAYBE to August

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 14, 2021, 1:56 pm

Quiet all through town even though it was lunchtime.

Makro quiet as well but they had taken advantage of so few customers & closed most of the tills so there was still a long time spent in there

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 16, 2021, 7:32 am

NEWSFLASH from Reuters Udon branch

Circa 6:15 am .. news just in of a rotund Doremon pyjama wearing expat in the West side of Udon thani shouting expletives at insomniac operator of mini makro jack hammer machine digging up newly paved concrete road,

Reports confirm a section of the new road inbound side is being ripped up and re done as it was finished lower than the rest and collects water making it hazardous as its right on the cambered high speed section thus vehicles would be like Torvil n Dean after 15 pints of Stella.. now i understand these oversights (fook ups) can happen but for some twot to come n start jack hammering at shortly after 6am is a piss take.. he has now parked up so im guessing realized his mistake when Yai from the noodle shop also came out (topless) to also bark at him.

New street lights arrived and being erected yesterday .. no electric ready just the lights so its still very dangerous at night with just a few bollards marking where to drive and where not...surely there should be some temporary lighting on such a busy intersection whilst under construction??? another accident again yesterday evening.

After a rip roaring start to the project now the July 26th completion date is long gone not a scooby dooz chance .. more chance of England winning a penalty shoot out.

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 16, 2021, 11:26 am

There's been no temporary lighting on the bigger, better, busier and far more important east ring widening project so why would your bend in the middle of nowhere get any?

As you have already suggested, bollards!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 16, 2021, 11:47 am

tamada wrote:
July 16, 2021, 11:26 am
There's been no thought spent on providing temporary lighting on the bigger, better, busier and far more important east ring widening project so why would your bend in the middle of nowhere get any?

As you have already suggested, bollards!
I havent ventured over to the rough Eastern Udon ghettos for quite a while .. but surely the natives are used to no lighting over there .. regardless where these road construction zones are to have no night time lighting is tantamount to gross negligence ( lunacy,stupidity no common sense to quote KP) and squashed bollards n skid marks ... well they are the norm most mornings over in the posh airport hub part ov town.

Lots of bodies on site , from my umpires chair i cant count cica 30 but some ov the buggars keep moving .. my mate with the jack hammer is back breaking up the base for the pavement / side walk and dog walking zone... cabling for new street lights also being installed ..its all systems go at LOVE JUNCTION.

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 16, 2021, 4:10 pm

Friday afternoon which is the normal start for the busy traffic.
HWY2, quiet
Post Office, just me
Ring road, quiet
Big C, plenty of spaces near the doors & I got mobbed by sales staff offering up new deals on anything & everything when I walked in
The normally busy u turn by the fruit market I was the only car with next to no wait to spin round
Ring road, quiet again
Thai Watsadu, empty
HWY2, still quiet

Home & Netflix 👍

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 17, 2021, 8:05 am

Last nights storm left the roadies with a cleaning up job this morning ... and jack hammer guy is not gonna be pleased as SOMEONE has slashed the tyres on his makro hammer ... OH DEAR , HOW SAD ..THATS A SHAME... (dont fook with noodle shop Yai) ..
Lots of bodies on site ..and we were informed our car park is no access/exit again over the weekend as they are working on the inner frontage /slip road.
Still zero lighting , this combined with last nights storm led to a couple of prangs and a truck in the dyke outside Nong Hin school being removed now.

Caution required when transiting this area.

Elsewhere ..its still dark over on the East side as the sun only shines on the righteous as my old gran used to say.

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 17, 2021, 4:11 pm

What time do the road crew usually work until?
Dark Red Zone travel restrictions might impede on the speedy progress being made at the lurrrve junction

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 17, 2021, 4:44 pm

7am to 7pm most days .. tho some days when concreting they been still rockin at 9 pm

ITS COMING ON
ITS COMING ON
UDONS NUMBER 1 JUNCTION IS COMING ON
ITS COMING ON
ITS COMING ON

Its going into extra time for sure :lol:

DM

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”