Udon Traffic

General Udon Thani topics only!
Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Traffic

Post by Niggly » March 4, 2021, 10:53 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 4, 2021, 7:46 am
Congratulations on your knowledge, try not being so superior in your attitude to others . We all make mistakes including you and as a retort to your self, often there is NO Queue but sometimes there is and a newcomer may not know this route and it only brings you out via the Non Sai road , which with the current expansion the road works will clog up as that junction is even slower than usual. So the option of turning left towards the KK Road and going into town is far more preferable and probablyquicker.
You can’t stop contradicting anything I say can you?
I posted a simple short cut when you said there wasn’t one & all you do is try to make fault. Suck it up buttercup, you were wrong

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 4, 2021, 1:29 pm

Okay this morning while going into town before said U turn was traffic some 10-15 cars, after TWO light changes , I got to the U turn , that in my book is a queue. [Trolling comment redacted.]

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 4, 2021, 5:04 pm

If anyone is interested, I just went from HWY2 to Makro without going on the ring road or the centre of town at all. Google Maps suggests its 6 mins slower this way but it doesn’t take into consideration any hold ups & certainly didn’t feel like it

Cross the ring road at the big urn
Mitraphap Road
Right onto Si Phinit Road
Right onto Samittayothin Road
Right onto Pracha Santi Road
Left onto Chandra Thip Road
Left onto Soi Pratum Samranjit

You come out on Nittayo Road between the fruit market & Makro

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 5, 2021, 3:10 pm

This little gem is causing a bit of congestion on the 2263 opposite Honda Big Wing. It’s not actually on the carriageway but there’s loads of rubber necked gawpers slowing right down to get a good look

(I was waiting in a queue at the red light)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 5, 2021, 3:52 pm

Including you it seems

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 5, 2021, 5:38 pm

Looks like single-lane traffic starting soon for a short stretch of the ring road, north of the railroad tracks and south of the PTT station. Related to the probable closure of the bridge over the main klong on the southbound side. Southbound will cross over to the northbound lane that has already been reduced to single lane by concrete blocks. Maybe bridge widening or new bridge for the 3-lanes? Then I guess they'll reverse the procedure for the northbound bridge? I was wondering why they'd made two wide cuts across the median so close together.

The three year time frame begins to make sense.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 5, 2021, 7:41 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 5, 2021, 3:52 pm
Including you it seems
Take 2 😂

Please read my post before replying with your assumption

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 6, 2021, 12:25 pm

Massive police road block on both sides of the carriageway about a km before the Pirelli factory on HWY22.
They seem to be indiscriminately pulling over vehicles to keep the 15 space lay-by full. I got through without stopping but have to go back the other way soon

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 6, 2021, 4:09 pm

I see them there regularly but usually just in the west bound lane heading to Udon. They always have a "spotter" about 5-6km down the road just past the EGAT power substation calling in speeders, no seat belts and out of date tax stamps. That entire inbound stretch is marked with the 90kph speed limits and camera signs.
Dave

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 6, 2021, 4:16 pm

Interesting, I never noticed a spotter.
Returned on the other carriageway without incident so I must have been doing something right.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 6, 2021, 4:19 pm

I think something has been done about the clogged junction under Big C flyover.
Just approached it to do a u turn to the supermarket & the only queues were understandably vehicles waiting at the red light. Turned green & we all moved off, no drama, no gridlock

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 6, 2021, 6:00 pm

The aforementioned bridge work.
Screenshot_20210306-175600.jpg

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 7, 2021, 5:59 am

You would have thought they would do that before attempting the massive roadworks.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 7, 2021, 10:24 am

Yesterday's google map grab was from around 6 p.m. last night as I was headed south. It's basically 5 lanes merging into 1 to zig-zag over the northbound bridge. I would say I was about 15 minutes getting through it.

Looks like the bridge replacement on the north end of the ring road is a spot to avoid even before the shops open on a Sunday!
61139.jpg
61140.jpg

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 8, 2021, 6:53 pm

We had a family dental appointment at 6pm near the underpass do I decided to just go straight along HWY2 from the Khon Kaen ring road crossing. Took just over an hour when it only takes about 15mins at the time we normally take this route. It was just solid nose to tail traffic. Didn’t seem to be anything other than the volume of traffic which I guess could be called rush hour.
Don’t need to do this for another 6 months so no point in finding a back route at the moment

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 8, 2021, 7:00 pm

The traffic was uncharacteristically light on my school run to UC Suksa today. The 7 a.m. northbound trip where it's down to single lane at the bridge replacement was easy but it's amazing how some drivers can't judge how far away the concrete bollards blocking the fast lane are.

Coming back at 5 p.m., I expected mayhem but only momentarily slowed on the zig-zag. I noted that one of the three sections of the old bridge has been pounded to rubble and rebar already

Maybe Tuesday will be busier?

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 8, 2021, 7:04 pm

^ maybe lots of people decided to take the HWY2 route through town after expecting problems on the ring road

BKK-Udon
udonmap.com

Post by BKK-Udon » March 9, 2021, 8:01 am

Useful updates on the ringroad work, keep ‘em coming.

I have been watching with fascination as a major road is being created, apparently to no where! Anyone know about the big project directly across from The newer Global House on hwy 2, south of Ban Chan/Kahm Kling? The major road took out part of the reservoirs and a large cattail eco system, a few very old and large trees, the old restaurant near the Golf Forest, and seems headed for Ban Tat market.

Could it be a road to the Wat at Ban Tat? Or is it the start of the second ring road rumored years ago?

BKK-Udon
udonmap.com

Post by BKK-Udon » March 9, 2021, 8:15 am

This tree is gone. I’m guessing the base was about a meter in diameter, a double trunk, about 3x the height of the power poles. Sad really.
118EA364-62F7-4FCF-9911-B9CAFF691C80.jpeg

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 9, 2021, 10:11 am

BKK-Udon wrote:
March 9, 2021, 8:01 am

I have been watching with fascination as a major road is being created, apparently to no where! Anyone know about the big project directly across from The newer Global House on hwy 2, south of Ban Chan/Kahm Kling? The major road took out part of the reservoirs and a large cattail eco system, a few very old and large trees, the old restaurant near the Golf Forest, and seems headed for Ban Tat market.

Could it be a road to the Wat at Ban Tat? Or is it the start of the second ring road rumored years ago?
I drove along there from HWY2 the other day.
If you go to the end of the new bit & dog leg across in front of Hollywood Lakeside estate, the road widening goes on past the lake up to the 1076 where it carries on south up to the next town (don't know the name).
Don't think it has anything to do with the proposed outer ring road as its too far in unless its going to join & be a thoroughfare to divert vehicles to the existing inner ring road, although its very close to HWY2 which would do that anyway so unlikely. I haven't seen this option on any plans either

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”